Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Zinio adds textbooks to its e-magazines offering

I've received yesterday an email from the Read Green Initiative (http://goreadgreen.com/) which announces that Zinio is now offering textbooks along with the digital magazines subscriptions.

Excerpt from the mail :
Quote:
Zinio Offers College Students a Digital Alternative to Traditional Textbooks
As colleges and universities nationwide begin their spring semesters, students preparing to spend hundreds on textbooks for their spring classes now have a cost-effective and sustainable digital alternative with Zinio. Available at www.textbooks.zinio.com.
Digital textbooks give you:
• 50% off the same printed book prices with $0 shipping!
• Immediate access, buy it late and still have it on time.
• Archive/store on your laptop - no need to lug heavy books around campus.
• Read online or offline and click through to hyperlinks referenced inside.
• Highlight and take virtual notes to mark important information.
• Search inside your book - save time by searching for specific content.
Here is the URL of this service :
http://www.textbooks.zinio.com/

Zinio is offering the magazines in a proprietary format, you can either read them online or download them and view them through a proprietary viewer.
Their reader software is available for Windows and Mac, I haven't see it yet for Linux (which doesn't mean it isn't available).
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Proprietary format and viewer notwithstanding, this could be very good news for students. 50% off the paper book price is substantial savings. If this service does well, perhaps we will see more textbooks available as ebooks, with fewer format restrictions, so they could be read on any device.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
I have tried zinio since it started. It is about 10 years ago with several magazines.
For reading on PC/MAC, PDf textbooks have already been done for while.
As universiy professor, We are waiing for e-book on e-Reader.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
I am using a textbook in Zinio format given complementary as I use it in my class in the last three years. I can read from Laptop and two desktops at home and school.
It will print any number of pages but with huge watermark of my name on each page.
If I print it to pdf then it will ask me to save each page with a different name...
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Yeah, it's a pity that it's in a proprietary format, but this is another step in the right direction.
The price reduction is nice. I'm curious about what they will do for upgrades to current version, as it seems new versions are pretty frequent and often required in this market.

The next step would be adding the Iliad or Digital Reader as a supported platform.
It has already been asked, 2 years ago, with little reactio from Zinio.

See post #3 :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=Iliad+Zinio
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert