Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #46
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If Kobo would only do 6 inch readers, there would only be the following reasons to buy a Kobo:

- You want more font options
- You don't want to buy books at Amazon (assuming you're not going to deDRM and use Calibre)
I assume you're talking about you. I have had Kobo for some time (perhaps 5 or 6 years, since I left my 350), and the reason I don't have a Kindle and I won't unless things change a lot is called library management. I find library management at Kindle be the same than Kobo library management as an vt100 could be the same than a 4K screen (yes, I'm old).

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 01-17-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #47
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If Kobo would only do 6 inch readers, there would only be the following reasons to buy a Kobo:

- You don't want to buy books at Amazon (assuming you're not going to deDRM and use Calibre)
I don't agree. I have had Kobo for some time (perhaps 5 or 6 years, till I left my 350), and the reason I don't have a Kindle and I won't unless things change a lot is called library management. I find library management at Kindle and at Kobo as an vt100 could be the same than a 4K screen (yes, I'm old).
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #48
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I don't believe the price of the Oasis reflects any additional cost because of its shape. Sure, it has a second battery, but come on...$60 more than the aura One? Are you serious? The Oasis is expensive because people are willing to pay a massively inflated price for it.
Got to thinking about something,
To me, a Lamborghini, Porsche, Corvette and Dodge Viper are massively overpriced.
I mean they have 4 tires and an engine just like every other car on the market so why should they be so much higher than say a Ford Fiesta? I mean there isn't that much difference. It will get you from point A to point B. *Unless you count design and performance.
**Although if you aren't careful those cars could get you a chauffeur driven ride to point C which ups the expenses even more.

It doesn't matter because the device is obviously worth the extra money. However, it has been pointed out that if you want a cover for your kobo, hey same price since the Oasis comes with a cover.

Innovations cost the first buyers more money.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 01-17-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Edited because I thought of a reason.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #49
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
They are two totally and completely different designs.
The only was to compare them is if they were shaped exactly the same.
The Oasis is expensive because of its ergonomic design.
The Aura One is expensive because of the bigger screen.
This is absolutely right. I don't think adding an extra battery and physical page turn buttons is any more or any less "innovative" than having a bigger screen. Both companies are developing their product ranges, albeit in different directions.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #50
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I assume you're talking about you. I have had Kobo for some time (perhaps 5 or 6 years, since I left my 350), and the reason I don't have a Kindle and I won't unless things change a lot is called library management. I find library management at Kindle be the same than Kobo library management as an vt100 could be the same than a 4K screen (yes, I'm old).
Yeah, library/collection management on the Kobo through Calibre is very nice. Now I can actually put more than 3 books on the device and find them too
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #51
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, library/collection management on the Kobo through Calibre is very nice. Now I can actually put more than 3 books on the device and find them too
Not only that I freely admit that I'm VERY picky with my books management (not new, it already happened with my paper books), and all the small details that a lot of people think they're a nonsense (see series, put them in collections in an easy way, see summary, being able to add info to that summary, rate a book in the device) matter a lot to me. And that's something Amazon software doesn't give me (and the big top and bottom margin don't bother me )
Old 01-18-2017, 03:22 AM   #52
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Users who don't want it have to edit the config file. How do you know the majority of users would like to get rid of them? Maybe Kobo did what their generic customers like.

I for one do want them. They make it look booklike to me. And a full page looks cluttered to me.

So, no. It wouldn't be better if Kobo had a full-screen out of the box, if you ask me.
I didn't suggest they have the device set to full screen out of the box ... I would like to see a full screen OPTION via a checkbox be made available in settings out of the box. There's a difference!

If an option is available and unchecked by default then all would be exactly as you like it, but those who *don't* like giving up that much space to header and footer clutter could simply check a box in settings to enable full screen rather than have to edit a file on their computer and load it back onto the reader.

As for paper books, some have title headers on every page, some have chapter titles, some have title on the left page and chapter title on the facing page, some have author on the left page and title on the facing page. And some have NO headers whatsoever! I found examples of ALL of the above on my own bookshelves easily. Even books with no headers OR page numbers!

Variety is nice! Options for settings are a GOOD thing!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:24 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

And in going for a Kobo, you get a loss less text than a Kindle, because of the large header and footer (assuming you're not going to patch and hack CSS using Calibre and stuff.)

With the 6.8-7.8 inch readers, Kobo has something that Amazon does not, and that is a *very* good reason to look at them.
I don't have any header (I do have a footer, because I want that), and I didn't have to put any hacks in. One reason I didn't like the kindle was that I couldn't turn off the header... And the footer on my One is not large either, but I think maybe max two lines high? (you need some room beneath the last line of the page and the footer text...)

Quote:
You forgot library lending and/or being European, thus getting epubs everywhere.
Oh right, some people can actually borrow ebooks from libraries... I completely forgot about that!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:48 AM   #54
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't have any header (I do have a footer, because I want that), and I didn't have to put any hacks in. One reason I didn't like the kindle was that I couldn't turn off the header... And the footer on my One is not large either, but I think maybe max two lines high? (you need some room beneath the last line of the page and the footer text...)

Oh right, some people can actually borrow ebooks from libraries... I completely forgot about that!
Yes, even Spanish ones
Old 01-18-2017, 05:32 AM   #55
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I didn't suggest they have the device set to full screen out of the box ... I would like to see a full screen OPTION via a checkbox be made available in settings out of the box. There's a difference!

If an option is available and unchecked by default then all would be exactly as you like it, but those who *don't* like giving up that much space to header and footer clutter could simply check a box in settings to enable full screen rather than have to edit a file on their computer and load it back onto the reader.

As for paper books, some have title headers on every page, some have chapter titles, some have title on the left page and chapter title on the facing page, some have author on the left page and title on the facing page. And some have NO headers whatsoever! I found examples of ALL of the above on my own bookshelves easily. Even books with no headers OR page numbers!

Variety is nice! Options for settings are a GOOD thing!
Sorry, I didn't realise you were talking about it being an option.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 AM   #56
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
I think you were reading graycyn's post too quickly and missed the word "OPTION"
You are right, I did miss it. Thank you for pointing it out!
Old 01-18-2017, 05:39 AM   #57
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
There used to be an international library we used a lot in the age of the PRS-650. It was for free and really good, I think it was Singapore. They might charge a fee now but if you only read English, just look around and I'm sure you'll find a library, too.

And check your local library stystem, these days some of them really have a lot of ebooks for lending. I usually get a card in one of the bigger library networks where a couple of neighboring cities have one pool of books. Berlin is big and we have a good selection but I found those networks to have even more books and more of the "in" books, too.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #58
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There used to be an international library we used a lot in the age of the PRS-650. It was for free and really good, I think it was Singapore. They might charge a fee now but if you only read English, just look around and I'm sure you'll find a library, too.
Yes, it was Singapore, but I think they don't admit non-residents member now.

Quote:
And check your local library stystem, these days some of them really have a lot of ebooks for lending. I usually get a card in one of the bigger library networks where a couple of neighboring cities have one pool of books. Berlin is big and we have a good selection but I found those networks to have even more books and more of the "in" books, too.
Yes, they are appearing in Spain too.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:31 AM   #59
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

I believe there's one library for the entire province here, but that doesn't mean the selection of ebooks is any larger.... There's a total of, hang on to your seat!, 588 English language books to chose from! And that's a combination of self-learning books and novels. (yeay, I can borrow the History of Rotterdam for dummies!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #60
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I agree. There should be an option for full-screen. Setting up config files is a pita. This is obviously an option that users of a large screen might want.

I also found the navigation options of Kobo wanting. But I'm used to android e-readers where the reading apps (ironically) come with more options. Fortunately Coolreader allows the navigation options, but I prefer nickel.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-18-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote