Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
"Web Browser is unable to establish a secure connection to this web site"

I can hardly load any sites anymore. most of google's search results show this error. Is there any way to fix it or is it a problem with SSL?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
I can hardly load any sites anymore. most of google's search results show this error. Is there any way to fix it or is it a problem with SSL?
Web Browser cache of certificates has expired?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't have any such problem. Whether through Chrome on my desktop or silk on my Kindle Fire the site comes up with no trouble.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Though this thread is tagged "Kindle 4", so it's probably not about Chrome on the desktop or some browser on the Fires, I guess.

My bet would be on SSL certificate or mechanism trouble, too. Either the cert store is (too) outdated - which I can easily imagine - or it is about SSL/TLS (though the K4 is new enough to use TLS 1.0), or encryption (though here, too, I think the K4 should support AES - as opposed to 3DES and RC4 - and SHA256 - as opposed to MD5 and SHA1). OP, test here: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
arikfunke
Enthusiast
arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: iRex
I am experiencing the same problem on the K3. This has started about a year ago on a handful of websites and has been getting progressively worse. Now most websites are affected.

My first guess was outdated root certificates: I therefore updated `/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt` with the certificates extracted from Firefox.

Unfortunately this has not made any difference that I can tell. Those websites that were working before, e.g. https://www.google.com, continue to work while those that did not, e.g. https://premium.zeit.de, are still showing the OP's message.

Any ideas from the Kindle hackers? I would love to get my trusty K3 working again.

Update 1:
Messing with `/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt` was a bad idea: It prevents installation of FW 3.4.1 which is the correct solution to the above described HTTPS problem.

Before I forget: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html does not load either...

Last edited by arikfunke; 01-22-2015 at 10:07 AM.
arikfunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Though this thread is tagged "Kindle 4", so it's probably not about Chrome on the desktop or some browser on the Fires, I guess.
My bet would be on SSL certificate or mechanism trouble, too. Either the cert store is (too) outdated - which I can easily imagine - or it is about SSL/TLS (though the K4 is new enough to use TLS 1.0), or encryption (though here, too, I think the K4 should support AES - as opposed to 3DES and RC4 - and SHA256 - as opposed to MD5 and SHA1). OP, test here: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html
That site gives me the same error!
Old 01-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Web Browser cache of certificates has expired?
Would rebooting fix that?
Old 01-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Would rebooting fix that?
Here is another source, other than ripping from a browser:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/colla...rtificates.git
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Ok, so I put those in the same dir mentioned by arikfunke?
Old 01-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that Amazon recently released FW 3.4.1 to fix that very thing on the K3. Which means they'll probably do so for the K4.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

It doesn't break the jb does it?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
3.4.1? Nope.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Hm. I haven't gotten 3.4.1 yet. is it OTA?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Well, that will be nice if an update fixes it.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #15
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

There is a new update for the K4 I think, 4.1.2.
Edit: It fixed the problem!

Last edited by Glorfindel; 01-21-2015 at 08:00 PM.