Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #1
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
Dual display navigation - New Scientist article

Brief article on a paper that was delivered at a conference in April this year about research on navigation techniques using dual display e-reading devices.

Link: Dual-display e-book reader lets you flip pages naturally

The paper is titled "Navigation Techniques for Dual-Display E-Book Readers", written by Nicholas Chen, Francois Guimbretiere, Morgan Dixon, Cassandra Lewis, and Maneesh Agrawala.

Link: EBookReaderCHI08.pdf

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 06-26-2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: slightly edited for frontpage
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
This is an intriguing concept. Personally, I'm happy with a single screen for reading, but I'm sure there are people who would make use of both screens, together or separated. I'd be interested to see how much the device weighs. It looks a little too bulky to fit in my purse.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It's not something I'm interested in either, but I can see it being a big advantage for students and such - IF it can run different books on different sides. Otherwise, it seems like it would be heavy and clumsy. IMHO, it seems to me that if one needed that much viewscreen, then perhaps they would be better off with a notebook PC.

But, that's just my opinion. I'm spoiled to having a simple lightweight reader and wouldn't change a thing about it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The researcher keeps making reference to "documents". So it seems obvious to me that he's talking about a device used for one's work or study. I can see no advantages to such a device when reading the latest "Cat Who" book from Ms. Braun.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
the OLPC folks have shown a 2nd generation product that includes this concept. http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/21...ght-direction/
They can use the second screen for a keyboard as well as a dual page book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
They would need to shrink the size of the frames - no (or nearly no) frame between the two displays would be better.
They have some interesting (so no new) techniques - lets hope some companies adopt it.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Interesting but not really useful.

Screens are the weakest and most expensive part of ebook readers. I recently broke my cybook screen and it's not worth it to repair it. I'm buying a new one.

Dual screens mean at least double the cost and make the device unnecessarily complex , bulky, (and breakable).

IMHO a dual screen offers no advantage over a good window manager.

Interface advantages such as natural flips will be easily replicated with flex displays, which will finally allow up to A4 sizes without sacrificing mobility.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I thought the demo was cool but I was getting eye strain just from the video.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
Interesting but not really useful.

Screens are the weakest and most expensive part of ebook readers. I recently broke my cybook screen and it's not worth it to repair it. I'm buying a new one.

Dual screens mean at least double the cost and make the device unnecessarily complex , bulky, (and breakable).

IMHO a dual screen offers no advantage over a good window manager.

Interface advantages such as natural flips will be easily replicated with flex displays, which will finally allow up to A4 sizes without sacrificing mobility.
What someone should do is engineer a reader that has the ability to hing/connect to a second reader on the left and right side. This way, you can buy a second reader (third reader?) if you want a two page reader. The interconnect would allow the readers to operate in tandem with a single book, or display seperate books if desired.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
tirsales
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, this would actually be pretty cool. One problem with that approach is the framesize - at least for my liking.
I dont like to big frames between two diplays, especially if I e.g. look at an image spanning over both displays.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What someone should do is engineer a reader that has the ability to hing/connect to a second reader on the left and right side. This way, you can buy a second reader (third reader?) if you want a two page reader. The interconnect would allow the readers to operate in tandem with a single book, or display seperate books if desired.

BOb
That would be perfect. I'd love to have those in A6-sized panels. The trick would be getting the screens to sit close together with little to no gap.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I have to agree with those above I'm not sure how usefull this would be for the typical user. Even when I was in college I wasn't comparing multiple texts to each other. I have no problem navigating with buttons. I'm not sure what advantage physically flipping a page brings other than familiarity. It actually seems a step backward to me. What problem are they trying to solve here?

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 06-27-2008 at 10:48 AM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
<snip>
What problem are they trying to solve here?
That was my thought also. Sounds as if they want it to look like a p-book. But why? You don't need two screens for reading fiction, and I can't think of much non fiction or scholarly texts where it would be an advantage - except perhaps if you could also annotate, but then we're looking more and more on a type of tablet PC or such. One thing I like about my e-reader, is that it is light and easy to hold with one hand - I find p-books rather cumbersome now.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
tirsales

* when using bigger charts - you could plug two devices together to display the chart without having to zoom.
* Solving the problem of slow display updates - just turn the device around and the second display already shows the next page.
* Easier to use for "eReader newbies"
* One display text, one display notes
* etc

Why do people use multi-screen display? Or 22'' screens?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Tirsales,

So in other words it doesn't do much for the typical user of a small, portable, reading device like myself.

Multi or large screen displays have their uses but I would not use them for reading books. Often if I have to read a large amount of text on a big computer display I'll make the window for the text smaller than the display size as I find it much easier to read that way.

Being on a site called Mobileread I assume the focus here is on portable reading devices so I'm looking at it from that perspective. Perhaps it has other applications?
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote