Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #196
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Sleep mode ...

An other question for your consideration ;o)

I don't like very much to use the power button on my Glo, so I'm trying to find a way to put it to sleep and wake it without sliding it.

The first problem that I hit was that all the widgets I use to put the Glo to sleep, they also lock the screen.
After that, I can not unlock it, even with the power switch.
The only solution was a reboot.

The second problem is that the only hardware button that the device have (the light) is used for "back" in Android, and I don't want to lose this functionality.
Any ideas?
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #197
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
Quote:
"How can I change the pic that is used for suspend (in what path can I find it)?"
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=172
Ooops!!!
I was searching in the system files ...

Well, it does work,
but, it resets on every reboot and I have to re-copy mine
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #198
embryo
Fanatic

Battery

And an other consideration ...
In the attached screenshot, you can see some abrupt angles on the battery curve.
I check the curve with an other program also, and it was the same.
So either the system gives to the programs strange values, or the battery management is working very weird on Android.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.png
Views:	474
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	116061  

Last edited by embryo; 12-01-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #199
bulnes123
bulnes123 doesn't litterbulnes123 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
These are great news for me, as I use FBReader as my main reader.
I don't now about the settings you're looking for, but I thing its a good reader in many aspects.

As a side note, after many tests I found that the best PDF eReader for me was EBookDroid.
It could open DjVU, PDF, XPS (OpenXPS), FictionBook (fb2 and fb2.zip), Comics Book formats (cbr and cbz)
Starting with version 2.0 it can open also EPUB and RTF, BUT, its closed source now and only Android 4+ devices are supported.
The last version that I can run is 1.66 and it works very well on my phone (Android 2.3.7), but on the Glo I get an "Your device cannot support required GLES configuration" message.
Any hint? Can I do anything about it?

Well this gave me a "Bad mode" answer.

If I try to replace or rename the file, the program crashes.
I used also Root Explorer (tries and says "Not rooted") and ES Explorer ("Task failed")

I'm not used to linux, although I have a Xubuntu 12.04 installed on a partition.
I'll give it a try ...
I also found Ebookdroid to be the best pdf reader by far.

The latest version I could run was 1.5.6

You can find it here:
https://code.google.com/p/ebookdroid...roid-1.5.6.apk
bulnes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #200
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulnes123 View Post
I also found Ebookdroid to be the best pdf reader by far.

The latest version I could run was 1.5.6

You can find it here:
https://code.google.com/p/ebookdroid...roid-1.5.6.apk
Thank you for the link.

I went and download some different versions, and I can run up until 1.6.0 very well. After that, the "Your device cannot support required GLES configuration" message appears ...

Edit: Correction. The 1.5.7 is much more stable than 1.6.0.

Last edited by embryo; 12-04-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: New data ...
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #201
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
As a side note, after many tests I found that the best PDF eReader for me was EBookDroid.
Yes, the choice - that's what I love about Android on Kobo. I was looking for Comic Book readers and found other (also very interesting). You want solitare/patience game or chess or sudoku? There are 100 and more to choose from

Thanks for the name. I will try it! I try to avoid PDF files on ebook reader but it's better to be prepared and have installed one

Quote:
The last version that I can run is 1.66 and it works very well on my phone (Android 2.3.7), but on the Glo I get an "Your device cannot support required GLES configuration" message.
Any hint? Can I do anything about it?
No, unfortunately we don't have hardware accelerated OpenGL ES in our devices I'm glad it's not required by too many programs.

Quote:
I'm not used to linux, although I have a Xubuntu 12.04 installed on a partition.
I'll give it a try ...
Just insert SD card and mount the partition. It must work.

Quote:
Ooops!!!
I was searching in the system files ...

Well, it does work,
The suspend image. Yes, it happened to me, too. To change it permanently it may be needed to recompile MsgE6.apk (original suspend and power images are inside).

Quote:
An other question for your consideration ;o)

I don't like very much to use the power button on my Glo, so I'm trying to find a way to put it to sleep and wake it without sliding it.

The first problem that I hit was that all the widgets I use to put the Glo to sleep, they also lock the screen.
After that, I can not unlock it, even with the power switch.
The only solution was a reboot.

The second problem is that the only hardware button that the device have (the light) is used for "back" in Android, and I don't want to lose this functionality.
Any ideas?
Ideas? Yes, sure. You can look at system apps / modify it. I cannot help you as I don't have Glo and I don't have these problems.

About turning on/off light please search through the forum. I'm sure someone gave script for it. It was like writing 0 to one of the device files. Button Savior Pro allows you to configure custom actions for two buttons - you can attach it there.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #202
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
I'll give it a try ...
Just insert SD card and mount the partition. It must work.
Everything worked perfect!

Quote:
Quote:
Well, it does work,
The suspend image. Yes, it happened to me, too. To change it permanently it may be needed to recompile MsgE6.apk (original suspend and power images are inside).
Well, I did this,and everything was OK ... but in one occasion, the tolino suspend picture was back !!!
So, I froze the whole Tolino application.
That lost me the USB mounting functionality, wich I replaced with the AutoMount app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utomount&hl=en and everything went OK again.
Even better, because, Tolino was scanning for books in my sd cards (there are 3000+ there) every time I was unmounting them from the PC.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #203
dd366
dd366 doesn't litterdd366 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo glo
EInk fast refresh

Quote:
If you look closer into ScreenHelper class, there are screen refresh methods like A2, DU, GC16_PARTIAL, GC16_FULL etc. so we have the same update modes like Nook. A2 is for fast and no ghosting 1-bit black&white displays. We can turn on this mode for games and movies (but additional dithering implementation would be very desirable).

Have a good fun!
Very interesting stuff !

I will have a look on that thing soon.
dd366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #204
dd366

Quote:
Compressed, uImage format. Offset 1048576 in the image file. Size ~3.2 MB.
Thanks for explanations.

I learned about uImage and Uboot from these pages
http://free-electrons.com/blog/uncom...kernel-on-arm/
http://www.isysop.com/unpacking-and-...-uimage-files/

I managed to extract kernel in a gzip file but not shure the right size.
I still have to recalculate the 2 crc

What is the size of your original unzipped kernel ? (arch/arm/boot/Image ?)
What is the entry point of the kernel ? (Seems to be 70008000 from image_header)

[edit] The data content is image_header struct + one Image (Uboot code + embedded gzip kernel)
I have not seen this case in doc. Is it arm related ?

-----

As I writed previously, I would like to patch the kernel to try to setup 1Ghz CPU and SleepCover without having to recompile it.

Sooner or later, I should setup a build environnement to recompile kernel
but I'm not ready yet as I'm starting from scratch on Linux and have a lot to learn ...

Last edited by dd366; 12-03-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #205
dd366

suspend image

Quote:
Ooops!!!
Well, it does work,
Not seen this problem yet.

Perhaps it's a problem with your rebuild MsgE6.apk

I rebuild mine with Apktool 1.5 (tried Apktool 2 but failed) and just had a shutoff image.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #206
dd366

Shell script in init.rc

I do not manage to launch shell script from init.rc.

I made dozens of tests with various syntax and failed.
My script is not launched at all...

I'm not far to give up.

Can someone point me to a working example ?
Old 12-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #207
embryo
Fanatic

... and yet an other consideration

Although the specs of Glo are talking about a 1Ghz processor http://www.kobo.com/koboglo/techspecs/ using 2 apps (SetCPU and OverclockWidget) to change the clock, both tell me that the maximum clock is 800Mhz.

Edit: Xmmm... Just discovered that this was already reported.

Last edited by embryo; 12-03-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #208
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd366 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo
Ooops!!!
Well, it does work,
Not seen this problem yet.

Perhaps it's a problem with your rebuild MsgE6.apk

I rebuild mine with Apktool 1.5 (tried Apktool 2 but failed) and just had a shutoff image.
I was referring to the suspend.jpg https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=172

I did rebuild the MsgE6.apk
Old 12-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #209
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Sooner or later, I should setup a build environnement to recompile kernel
but I'm not ready yet as I'm starting from scratch on Linux and have a lot to learn ...
Sorry for not answering the u-boot part (tough day today) but if you want to setup environment, compile your kernel version and write it - you don't have to know that kind of details. Just do what I described here in a few simple steps:

https://github.com/marek-g/kobo-kern...d_instructions

you can skip modules compilation and installation part. And of course use correct path for uImage file when running "dd" command. If you do it from Android, path to the device is a little bit different, too (I don't remember, check with "ls /dev").

[EDIT]

Quote:
As I writed previously, I would like to patch the kernel to try to setup 1Ghz CPU and SleepCover without having to recompile it.
Oh... I see... I was flashing many kernels with different sizes so it is hard to say where the one you have ends (after the end there are probably bytes from previous one). It will be really much much easier to compile new kernel. Configuring environment is like 2 lines and building like another 2 lines.

Last edited by MarekGibek; 12-03-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #210
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Fantastic news! I didn't do it yet on my Kobo Great to know that it worked!

Tags
android, glo, kobo, shine, tolino