Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #586
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Idk, but one potential problem could be the behavior for "marking text/switching to next page while still marking". It works with the progressbar as it is implemented right now (just drag your finger to the far lower right and it will still trigger the pageturn).

Thought I mention that.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #587
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
What do you guys (=everyone else) think of this?
It would be just excellent!

Another hint: in the configuration menu it would be nice to be able to choose the chapter symbol for the progress bar: dot, short thin vertical line (separated from bar borders), full thin vertical line (touching borders), tiny triangle, ...
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #588
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
It would be just excellent!

Another hint: in the configuration menu it would be nice to be able to choose the chapter symbol for the progress bar: dot, short thin vertical line (separated from bar borders), full thin vertical line (touching borders), tiny triangle, ...
waaaah - configuration and implementation nightmare

Edit: the symbols were carefully selected to work and make sense with the current configuration. Allowing to customize them will really result in a nightmare for me.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-25-2012 at 10:27 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #589
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
No, because this isn't possible. Just move your books from the Kindle to a PC, then move them back to the Kindle, and you should have the covers.
It works without Calibre or Facebook export option!! Thanks!!

Another thing. When I select default progress indicator, it doesn't change in the book, and I need to restart the Kindle to make it works. I always need to restart the Kindle to show the changes selected for the progress indicator. Is it normal?

EDIT: the aspect and the symbols of the progress bar are perfect!! It would be a great idea to implement the three views of the bar with a long press.

Last edited by victor_2203; 08-25-2012 at 10:50 AM.
victor_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #590
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_2203 View Post
It works without Calibre or Facebook export option!! Thanks!!

Another thing. When I select default progress indicator, it doesn't change in the book, and I need to restart the Kindle to make it works. I always need to restart the Kindle to show the changes selected for the progress indicator. Is it normal?
ALL of the patch settings require a framework restart before they come into effect. This is clearly documented, and yes, this is perfectly normal behaviour.
Advert
Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #591
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To restart the framework, open the JBPatch "Book", select the right tab and from there "Restart Framework". Its faster than restarting the Kindle entirely.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #592
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Another idea...

Custom book reading font can be added without installing any hack, but the way they're shown in the "Aa" font dialog really sucks. First of all because they have to be (re)named to come lexicographically before the system fonts. Second, because the dialog is too short, and names in the third line are actually half-cut (and not shown at all in case of an AZW3 book with embedded font because of the "Editor's font" selectors).

Would it be possible to resize the "Aa" font dialog? Setting the height would be just enough. Maybe it could be added to the margins hack.

Edit: never mind... Adding exactly six fonts actually resolves the problem: no more unreadable lines. By the way, I wonder if enlarging the dialog it is possible to show more fonts...

Last edited by pirl8; 08-25-2012 at 09:31 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #593
ixtab
(offline)

Quoting myself:
Quote:
ALL of the patch settings require a framework restart before they come into effect. This is clearly documented, and yes, this is perfectly normal behaviour.
Of course, this applies to the current version of the patch, where the "applied view" corresponds to the "configured view".

Future versions *may* be more flexible, and change their display behavior dynamically. But as you are aware, we are only discussing the "when" part of changing behavior right now, and we still have to find out the "how" part. Even if I said that "something" should be doable "somehow", that doesn't mean that I can come up with the code to actually do it within 5 minutes. That takes time and effort.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #594
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
What if the progress bar had a mode that allowed it to only be shown when the bottom bar (the one that list the font selection button "Aa", the goto feature "Go To", and xray "X-Ray") is showing. I use the margin hack to get the most amount of words on the screen at a time and as such I hide the informational bar. I'm just spit-balling here so obviously if it's not possible, to hard, or stupid disregard this. Thanks very much for all your hard work on JBPatch, it has transformed the kindle into an amazing piece of tech.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #595
Semir
Semir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5)
Quick thumb

Hi,
it would be great if the progress bar could be used as quick thumbing! (Quickly paging through the book).
Can you add it pleeeease?

Bests,
Semir
Semir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #596
notimp
Addict

You can already do this in part with swipe up/swipe down (jump between chapters). Built in Kindle feature.

Last edited by notimp; 08-25-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #597
Semir
Semir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
You can already do this in part with swipe up/swipe down (jump between chepters). Built in Kindle feature.
Thank you for your reply

Yep, but that only jumps chapters.
And only if you _have_ chapters in your ebook. (For eg. I got an ebook without chapters that is 15000 loc long...)

And still! It would be muchmuch more book like!
Semir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #598
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Just to report that this is incompatible with 5.0.4. Will try to do an upgrade to the latest FW.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #599
ixtab
(offline)

Status report: I am not able to receive "click" events for the progress bar - something seems to catch and "eat" them before I could handle them. This means that the progress bar patch will stay as it is, sorry.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-25-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #600
notimp
Addict

I know that jbpatch interferes as little as possible with the native interface, but would it be possible fe to ad the click event to a menue item (without too much hassle)?

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks