Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Scanning books

Does anyone have any scanned images of public domain books they could share? I am working on a project for my Computer Vision class, and need a diverse sample group. JPEG is preferred, but any common format is okay.

My project is aimed at typed manuscripts. My program will accept an image, correct the orientation, remove the pictures and black marks, and assemble the word images into a new image file.

If works well, I will likely adapt it to work off PDFs and post it here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Nate, I'd suggest you go here http://www.archive.org/details/texts and take your pick. You'll have a wide selection including some with images, some without, some with distorted text, different fonts, etc.

Oops. Finally really read your post. You wanted jpg not pdf. Sorry.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Oops. Finally really read your post. You wanted jpg not pdf. Sorry.
Correct. I currently don't have tools to extract the images from PDFs.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
pdftohtml which is part of libprs500 extracts images from PDFs. It's not perfect, it may not get all images, but it might be good enough for your needs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Nate, would these do? These grayscale scans are from my 1200 dpi HP scanner. I tried to give you a variety of fonts, some typical foxing and other background problems, some with a bit of a tilt to the scan image, etc. I'm not sure what you want. If you want more or something different let us know and I'll try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brande'sChemistry.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	7002   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChemistryAppliedToDyeing.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	7003   Click image for larger version

Name:	DictionaryOfAppliedChemistry.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	7004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Physics.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	7005   Click image for larger version

Name:	TheNewChemistry.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	7006  
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Why reassemble the word images, instead of OCR? I mean, beyond the obvious thought that this may fill a requirement for your course.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Why reassemble the word images, instead of OCR? I mean, beyond the obvious thought that this may fill a requirement for your course.
Developing a decent OCR program from scratch is a Master's thesis or PhD level project (according to my professor). I think I could do it now. But if it's worth that much I want to get the full value.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:27 AM   #8
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Definitely join Distributed Proofreaders. http://www.pgdp.net
They have scans either harvested or done by volunteers. They will also happily answer any question.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Developing a decent OCR program from scratch is a Master's thesis or PhD level project (according to my professor). I think I could do it now. But if it's worth that much I want to get the full value.
Makes sense. It sounds like what you're working on could be a good clean-up phase before OCR, too.

Too bad you're not also a robotics student-- we really need a cheaper page-turning scanbot!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Too bad you're not also a robotics student-- we really need a cheaper page-turning scanbot!
Just contract it out to Walmart. They'll have those little Chinese kids turning pages like you wouldn't believe. Oh, I'm bad...
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #11
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

you don't need to join distributed proofreaders to snag some scans:
> http://www.pgdp.org/ols/

you can also find scan-sets in the same places that d.p. finds 'em:
> http://www.pgdp.net/wiki/Sources_for_Scan_Harvesting

nekokami said:
> Why reassemble the word images, instead of OCR?

well, believe it or not, that's one way of doing "reflow".
parc did a paper on it a while back. here's the info:
> Paper to PDA
> Thomas M. Breuel, William C. Janssen, Kris Popat, Henry S. Baird
> 11 August 2002
> TR−01−2

nate said:
> Developing a decent OCR program from scratch
> is a Master's thesis or PhD level project
> (according to my professor).

um, he's pulling your leg. developing a decent o.c.r. program is
_immensely_ difficult. even with a headstart they obtained from
adopting a project from elsewhere, google discovered it's hard...
take a look at their recent alpha of ocropus to get a rough idea:
> http://code.google.com/p/ocropus/

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote