Notices

Old 05-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #16
jayk
Enthusiast
jayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litter

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by templario
Now i´m scared, i did install it without any problems, is there a risk now that i have it installed? what can i do to be in the safe side?. Are there anything i shouldn´t do from now on?. Any advise is very welcome.
If it installed clean and is working, I wouldn't worry too much. The big danger is in the install process, if any of those files do not install properly, you may be greeted with anything from an unresponsive stylus to a bricked iliad.

If you don't have the ssh login stuff enabled, I would install it... with the 'unbrickable' ssh package installed, worst case someone can probably walk you through fixing it if it stops working... at least you won't have to send it back to Eindhoven.

JayK
jayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #17
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Depends on how iRex sends it out. If they include it as a dot release that over writes the root filesystem you'll be fine. If they try to patch it into units like they did with the Mobipocket Viewer, hopefully they will have tested the patch against a unit using the above installer to make sure it works. But they seem to assume only developers would have done such changes to their iLiad's and are capable of taking care of themselves.

Adam did include an un-installer right?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #18
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

No, there is no uninstaller. What do you mean (jayk) with "ssh login stuff"?. Obviously, as i don´t know what it is i don´t have it installed.
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #19
jayk
Enthusiast
jayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by templario
No, there is no uninstaller. What do you mean (jayk) with "ssh login stuff"?. Obviously, as i don´t know what it is i don´t have it installed.
templario: See this thread

Regarding uninstalling, etc. Basically this installs a set of additional libraries (they are not present in the stock iLiad software) and an additional X server (/usr/bin/Xfbdev.tslib) and the calibrate program. The only modifications made are to the start.sh - in order to launch the updated X server. Restoring the original start.sh should restore your iliad to it's original state. That said, without the unbrickable ssh package - you won't be able to do it.

So - long story short - It doesn't change anything except the start.sh and the only thing changed there is to start the new X server. So the latter update shouldn't cause too many problems, the libraries will be overwritten and the start.sh will most certainly be rewritten.

Don't take that as an endorsement to install this package... my previous statement stands... This is a very pre-beta thing at the moment.

It is my intent to make sure that there is a 'final' package prior to the iDS update. There are a couple problems left to solve. I promise I will post when the code has stabilized to a point where I think it's safe for general consumption.

JayK
jayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #20
templario
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot Jayk. Some times i just want to try staff as soon as it is released, i know i should be more patient, so the only one to blame is me.
Thanks to Adam B. as well he is doing it to help people like me.

Jose
Advert
Old 05-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #21
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I can understand the headaches of jayk & scotty1024, because I am a prey of hackng /home/root/start.sh.
What you you have to understand is that your iLiad can't finish booting when something got wrong with this file start.sh. Your iLiad starts to boot, you see the loading bar & then you get trapped because the GUI [Contentlister etc] doesn't start. You have a brick iLiad. These are the worries.

What is "SSH access to your iLiad"?
You can find a "unbrickable package" on MR which installs the ability to connect to iLiad via PC before the booting process is finished.
In the case of a broken start.sh, you can fix it.
In the case booting doesn't reach stage "you can connect with PC", you still can't repair your iLiad. This is why we wait for reflash from CF.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #22
templario
Connoisseur

Thanks for clarifying the subject, now i think i understand. But there are two install packages, which one should i use?, would i notice anything after i install the unbricable package? is it uninstalable? would it be installed after an upgrade?. Maybe i´m two newby to play with all this staff.

Jose
Old 03-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #23
Cheekygrin
Cheekygrin began at the beginning.

Now in the standard firmware?

Is this now provided by irex in the standard firmware?
or is this an alternative to the standard calibration tool?

I'm using the latest firmware and find that the calibration is way off even after using the calibration tool.
Cheekygrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekygrin View Post
Is this now provided by irex in the standard firmware?
or is this an alternative to the standard calibration tool?

I'm using the latest firmware and find that the calibration is way off even after using the calibration tool.
As far as I can tell, this was once a free dev addon, that got in the meantime incorportated into the standard firmware.

Yes its always a bit off, there are some tips to help you. When callibrating don't point the stylus exactly vertically, but hold it in the natural way, you also would write with. Then try to use the stylus in the same position you calibrated it with.

Yesterday I borrowed a Tablet PC (HP) from a friend for a few minutes, to see how the stylus-pen works there, excepts its bigger and thus more comfortable to hold the same offset problem arrises very quickly when trying to use it in "microsoft paint", in normal "windows" mode you just hardly notice it when all you do is clicking buttons. On the tablet PC with paint, it was quite a more frustracting experience than working on the iliad .. So it seems this is just a fundamental problem of the underlying WACOM technology that even WACOM does not yet seem to have a satisfying solution for.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote