Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Open Road price drops to $0.99

There seem to be a big number of price drops of Open Road Media titles to $0.99 at Amazon US. I haven't really had time to check this out, and have to leave for work now, but here are a few authors I spotted at least one book from (I'm a mystery reader, so mostly mysteries):

Brett Halliday
Patricia Wentworth
Mike McAlary
Sparkle Hayter
Ted Wood
Howard Fast (EV Cunningham)
Jane Dentinger
Dorothy L Sayers
Howard Engel
Lawrence Durrell
Dorothy Salisbury Davis
J Robert Janes

This is, of course, not as good as the Open Road freebies right before the holidays last year, but I spotted some titles (like a bunch of Brett Halliday/Mike Shayne and J Robert Janes) that weren't included in that sale.

Here are a few links for Open Road, although Open Road is sort of hard to search for, and at $0.99, the sale titles get mixed up with Open Road's vast collection of PD titles, and also the genre specifications can be pretty random.

romance: https://www.amazon.com/s/?search-ali...11&price=99-99

mystery: https://www.amazon.com/s/?search-ali...11&price=99-99

non-fic: https://www.amazon.com/s/?search-ali...11&price=99-99

Last edited by sufue; 04-20-2017 at 08:20 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
Thanks sufue for your post. The links make it super easy to go through the list. I found 5 books that were immediate buys.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Worth noting that Open Road books often have horrible formatting; they're not on my list of favoured publishers, although obviously if the price is right...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What kind of things have you noticed? I have a lot of books from them and can't recall any problems.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What kind of things have you noticed? I have a lot of books from them and can't recall any problems.
Not the external appearance, but the internal formatting. I often edit my books (e.g. to change margins or line spacing) and whenever I've done so with Open Road books they've had horrible formatting which has made them very difficult to edit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Hmm. I've never noticed a problem with Open Road books either; I've been quite happy with them, in fact. I've rarely read their public domain titles but have read many of their reissues of older books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Looks like US only again. Sigh.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Looks like US only again. Sigh.
It's also only a sale at Amazon. I suppose I could buy a bunch at Kobo and price match them to build up a large store credit (useful for things like the Tawain 50% off promo code).

Here's a link for SF and fantasy

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 04-20-2017 at 08:52 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks like Open Road Media is having another 99 cent sale at Amazon, including several omnibus editions in science fiction/fantasy (RA Macavoy, Brian Aldiss, Kate Elliot). Use the links earlier in the thread.

Annoyingly, it still looks like they're ignoring all the other retailers, but if you buy from Kobo, they will price match with store credit.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

US-only sale yet again. C'mon Open Road, mark down the amazon.ca kindle store too! I would happily price match at Kobo! :-D
Old 05-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And yet a few more Open Road titles on sale - some repeat, some new - at $0.99. Links in the OP and a few posts down (for sci-fi) are still good. Authors I noticed include Charlotte MacLeod, Harry Kemelman, Barbara Hambly, Christianna Brand, Elizabeth Mansfield, Aaron Elkins, Dorothy L Sayers. This time some are also on sale at Kobo.

Last edited by sufue; 05-24-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
It looks like Open Road Media is having another 99 cent sale at Amazon, including several omnibus editions in science fiction/fantasy (RA Macavoy, Brian Aldiss, Kate Elliot). Use the links earlier in the thread.

Annoyingly, it still looks like they're ignoring all the other retailers, but if you buy from Kobo, they will price match with store credit.

It just seems so.....wrong....when thousands were given away free just a few months ago.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #13
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It just seems so.....wrong....when thousands were given away free just a few months ago.
Yes, it does seem funny to have to pay, even just $0.99, although a lot of these more recent $0.99 ones weren't among the freebies. Just off the top of my head, the Brett Halliday/Michael Shayne titles in the first batch, some of the Charlotte MacLeod titles, I know there were some others too...

And Open Road has gotten a bunch of series that I like into ebook - Catherine Aird/CD Sloan, Richard and Frances Lockridge/The Norths, Harry Kemelman/Rabbi Small, EV Cunningham/Masao Masuto, and several others.

And they are couponable/VIPable at Kobo US, at least.

And catch any of the traditional big publishers discounting this much, except on an occasional title now and then...

So in a weird sort of way, I'm pretty okay with paying Open Road a reasonable price for these titles. Their "normal" prices at $7.99 and up for backlist are too much for me to replace my DTB, but during their sales at $0.99, or $1.99, I'll do it - our library gets the DTB donation for their book sales and I get some shelf space back!

Last edited by sufue; 05-25-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
ottdmk
Wizard

I just wish Open Road would do these sales in Canada. They have a number of authors whose work I enjoy greatly.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:31 AM   #15
bgalbrecht
Wizard

Sorry, no new 99 cent sale. I just thought I'd note that Open Road seems to have stopped giving away one of their public domain works daily, and now they are selling the selected item at 99 cents.