Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Kobo: Sleep vs Power Off

I've just finished the power off trial so I'm posting my initial results.

Purpose: Does the battery last longer putting the Kobo to sleep or is it better to power it off.

Sleep Cover option:

Fully charged on Feb. 4th, needed to be charged by Feb. 16th. however I have a total reading time of 33.7 hrs listed in my reading stats. One caveat on this though is that I did do a firmware upgrade during this time which most likely wore the battery down more that it would have under normal use.

Next test was to turn off using the Sleep Cover and instead use the switch to put the Kobo in sleep mode:

Fully charged on Feb. 16th and needed to be charge again March 5th. So just over 2 weeks. Reading time was now only 24.4 hrs. Leading me to wonder just how accurate the reading stats are.

3rd test sleep after 15mins, power off after 30mins:

Charged up March 5th, needed to be charged again March 26th. Reading time: 38.3 hrs.

I will be running these tests a second time.

Other factors in this test, books were on an SD card and testing was done on the Kobo Glo with the light on at least half the time. All books read were epubs with 1 exception that was a PDF.

I plan on doing the test a 3rd time with the books directly on the Kobo without an SD card plugged in.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reserved
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Danger
Evangelist

Reserved for 3rd test
Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Interesting results, but these numbers would mean a whole lot more if you post your reading habits. Most notably how often you read it, because the main argument against turning the device off (as far as the battery life is concerned) is the power consumption when powering it on.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I agree with kobokobe.
On your third test, how often did you wake up the ereader? Once a day? Twice a day? Once every other day?

Anyway, that's a very interesting experiment. Thank you for doing it
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Good to see the scientific method in action.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reserved for comment on second test.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
murg
No Comment

Reserved for comment on third test.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Interesting results, but these numbers would mean a whole lot more if you post your reading habits. Most notably how often you read it, because the main argument against turning the device off (as far as the battery life is concerned) is the power consumption when powering it on.
Sorry, I actually meant to put that in as well.

Average day reading Monday - Friday: half hour in the morning (6am-6:30am), half hour mid morning (10am-10:30), half hour at noon (12-12:30), about 10mins during my walk home from work if it's not raining.

Evenings very depending on what is happening in the home and how into a book I am, can very from not reading at all to an hour or more.

Weekends like my evenings also very but usually I read about a half hour to an hour Saturday & Sunday.

So average Monday - Friday is about 2 - 2.5 hrs of reading per day. 14 -15 hrs per week total.

Last edited by Danger; 03-27-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #10
anyone
Enthusiast
anyone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there any news on how to prolong the sleep time of the Kobo readers? Its so annoying to boot them every day, I'm used to standby times of 12-24 hours so its still working the next day.
anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyone View Post
Is there any news on how to prolong the sleep time of the Kobo readers? Its so annoying to boot them every day, I'm used to standby times of 12-24 hours so its still working the next day.
Turn off the auto-power off option. That will mean it won't power off after sleeping for a while.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Turn off the auto-power off option. That will mean it won't power off after sleeping for a while.
That's what I did. In fact I simply have to remember to charge about once a month. (however, I read with the backlight always on 1 - good enough for all my reading )
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #13
anyone
Enthusiast
anyone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Then I have to power it off if I'm done reading for a while, something I wont remember doing..
anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Then I have to power it off if I'm done reading for a while, something I wont remember doing..
When you say "done reading for a while" are you talking about more than a week? If not, I would just let it sleep. In my experience, Kobos use very little power when left alone and sleeping.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'll admit that that is an problem I don't understand. If I go more than 24 hours without reading, it means I am very sick. And odds are I tried, but the device kept going to sleep before I finished a page.

As shalym, the power drain in sleep mode is very low. I have had one of my devices in sleep for over two weeks between uses. And it would have lasted a lot longer but, I wanted to do something with it. But, to get the maximum sleep time, turn of the automatic daily sync. This will wake the device, sync to the Kobo server and then go back to sleep. Turning this off will probably double the time the device can sleep.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote