Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #20056
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
The last couple of Safehold books have been quite good; lots of action and not much info-dump.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #20057
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished His Robot Wife: Patience is a Virtue by Wesley Allison. It felt a bit different from the two before it. Certain threads were not tied up quite as neat, and for this reason I feel this was written partly as a springboard to the next installment; surely there will be unpleasant consequences yet to come from events that took place in this one. Without giving away too much, I think it safe to assume that people will tend to raise an eyebrow when they discover an A.I. has violated the first of the Three Laws of Robotics.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #20058
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Is there any truth to the rumor that the abridged audio-recording of Doughnut is called Don't?
The abridged audiobook of Doughnut is called Munchkin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #20059
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Also, I'm reading some Star Trek graphic novels, based on the recent movies.
There are no Star Trek graphic novels. Those are comic books.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #20060
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Soda View Post
I just started "Taken in Death" by J.D Robb today and I am hooked!
I highly suggest you STOP reading Taken in Death. This is a series that should be read in the order it was written. If you read out of order, you can end up spoiling things. And there are places in the series where it is needed to have read certain books before others. So read in order.

Here is the order to read them in...http://www.jdrobb.com/pdfs/0-Chronol...eries-2014.pdf

If you have already read Taken in Death, please forget everything you've read.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-27-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #20061
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just finished His Robot Wife: Patience is a Virtue by Wesley Allison. It felt a bit different from the two before it. Certain threads were not tied up quite as neat
I didn't know you were into reading books about bondage.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #20062
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are no Star Trek graphic novels. Those are comic books.
Yup, they are comic books...but several of them collected together in one volume=graphic novel.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:36 AM   #20063
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are no Star Trek graphic novels.
Not even the slashfic?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:01 AM   #20064
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Night Moves by Walter Jon Williams. A cheap SF reprint I picked up in October 2013. Quite fun, and I want to see what happens, but I'm unsure the writer can resolve things in a way I'll be happy with. We'll see.
Hmmm... it was OK. But the main character deliberately does one dreadful thing that doesn't seem to bother him or get mentioned much in the story, which did surprise me. I thought more would have been made of the point.

Next I read Monster Hunter Nemesis by Larry Correia. Much more gets revealed about Agent Franks, although the start is a bit confusing in the ebook (I suspect it's clearer on paper). And lots of monster killing action, of course.

And now on to Analog SFF, September 2014 edited by Trevor Quachri.

Whoops - I've read that one already. Now on to A Rare Benedictine by Ellis Peters. this was on offer at the Kobo store earlier this month, and I got it for free thanks to a £1 off coupon!

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-28-2014 at 07:38 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:15 AM   #20065
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Mrs McGinty's Dead" by Agatha Christie. This was her 52nd book, and was originally published in 1952. A man has been convicted of the murder of his landlady, Mrs McGinty, in a small village, and is due to be hanged shortly, but Superintendent Spence, the police officer in charge of the investigation, is not satisfied that he is guilty, and asks his old friend, Hercule Poirot, to conduct an unofficial investigation. Poirot believes that she was murdered because she recognised one of four women who were previously involved in notorious murder cases, but which one?

Enjoyable, but not one of Christie's best, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #20066
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've been a bit lax about reading the last few weeks (work + football add up to little reading time), but the last book I read is Joe Abercrombie's Half a King (I got the eARC of that one), which should officially be out next week or so.

I haven't read any of Abercrombie's adult fantasy yet, but based on this book, I'm pretty sure I will give it a try (especially since I have the First Law trilogy bought already).

It's YA, and the main character's a boy - it's very much a coming-of-age story (in a Viking-like, fantasy-light but battle-rich world) - but I really don't think people who usually like gritty adult fantasy should be put off by that. After a slightly tedious beginning, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit, in spite of this not being my main go-to genre.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #20067
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, based on a reco by Section8 and what a fascinating read. Very hard to put down
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #20068
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, based on a reco by Section8 and what a fascinating read. Very hard to put down
Among my few all-time favorite books. Flowers for Algernon and Lonesome Dove are the only two novels I read every 5 years or so and it always feels like visiting a dear old friend.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #20069
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
I'd like to read that. I saw the movie 'Charlie' which was based on it many years ago and it stuck with me. But I'm also trying to economize these days as befits my still fairly new retiree status, so I think on July 1, when I become eligible for another Amazon Prime loan, I'll check to see if that one's available. If not, I'll jut buy it outright. I think it's only about $6.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #20070
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Soda View Post
I think this thread is also great for checking out some books I've never heard off before!
Indeed. My "want to read" list keeps getting longer and longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"The Dance of Time" by Eric Flint and David Drake. The 6th and final book in the "Belisarius" alternate history/military SF series. An excellent and satisfying end to one of the best military SF series around. I strongly recommend the entire series to any SF lover who hasn't yet read it. The 6 books are available in three omnibus editions from Baen.
That reminds me -- I have these books on hand. I just need to carve out time for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Crown of Renewal by Elizabeth Moon. It's looking good - I suspect it may keep me up late tonight. This is the last in this series, so I'm hopeful that it will resolve lots of plot lines.
Hmm... Which series is this? I like Elizabeth Moon's fantasy (Paks!) so I think I need to track down this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan. It's easily the best book I've read so far this year; very thought provoking and charming.
Love to hear such a positive recommendation. I like SF and time travel, so I'm adding this to the "want to read" list. Unfortunately, I think my kids will find that the list is still very long upon my demise.

Quote:
But I'm also trying to economize these days as befits my still fairly new retiree status, so I think on July 1, when I become eligible for another Amazon Prime loan, I'll check to see if that one's available.
I'm stocking up now for my upcoming retirement (2015 or 2016, I think). And to practice for retirement, I put myself on a book-buying freeze this year. I'm only purchasing books with gift certificates, and I point people to my Amazon wish list so they can gift me books for my Kindle.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote