Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Add xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" to the opening metadata tag in your OPF file and most of your structural errors ("exists in the zip file but is not declared in the OPF file") go away.

You have:
Code:
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
Needs to be:
Code:
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
That being missing affects all the "opf:(role|scheme)" properties in your dc:metadata (of which the unique-identifier property is a very, very important one).

Also your dc:identifier tag is malformed. You've got an extraneous closing tag in it.
Code:
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="ISBN" id="bookid">urn:isbn: 978-2-917088-37-1> </dc:identifier>
Get rid of the stuff in red and the only errors that remain are html syntax.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-26-2014 at 09:34 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
A <span> must be part of one of the elements described. It cannot exist out of its own. This is wrong:
Code:
<p>Paragraph one</p>
<span>A span on the loose</span>
<p>Paragraph one</p>
This is correct:
Code:
<p>Paragraph one</p>
<p><span>A span on the loose</span></p>
<p>Paragraph one</p>
or even:
Code:
<p>Paragraph one</p>
<div><span>A span on the loose</span></div>
<p>Paragraph one</p>
Otherwise you need to post an example of your file before we can say anything useful.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
Buble
Buble began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all your advises. Unfortunately it doesn't work within the <span> between 2 <p> sections, and adding xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" doesn't work neither. It is mysterious... I'll let you know, trying again and again...
Buble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buble View Post
Thanks for all your advises. Unfortunately it doesn't work within the <span> between 2 <p> sections, and adding xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" doesn't work neither. It is mysterious... I'll let you know, trying again and again...
But it does work. It's not mysterious at all. The file you provided had all its structural errors fixed with the changes I indicated.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #20
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What does not work? Does the code not do what you want or do you still get errors? If the first, please tell us what you want to achieve. If the latter, please post an example of the error and the code. A full HTML would be the best for spotting the problem.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The OP provided a link to an error-prone epub in post #12.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
Toxaris
Wizard

Yes, but his adaptations did not work so we need to see what he did and did not adapt of course.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #23
Jesver
Jesver began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, Kindle, Nook, kobo
Hi Buble
I have found some more error in your epub file:
1) Attribute should be quotes.
2) Width should not be defined in xhtml file for the image. it may in css.
I have corrected and upload your file.
Attached Files
File Type: epub testing.epub (25.4 KB, 147 views)
Jesver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 AM   #24
Buble

(Sorry for the late answer, out of office)
You're right, it does work !! Sorry... It is really great, thank you SO MUCH !! I note it for the future ^^

Last edited by Buble; 06-02-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #25
Buble

I replied before seeing the page3...
Hi Jesver, I can't believe how kind it is, thank you so much !! And of course your epub works perfectly. I still have a few things to do on it (I have to form a new toc.ncx because I want my epub to open each chapter on a new "page") but everything is gonna be alright now. Thank you agaian, all, for your advices, very precious to me !! I learn more and more everyday and it is important to me not to give up.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #26
Buble

Hi
Now I understood my previous errors ! But I have one more question : I wanted to divide my chapters in many files in order to force the reader to start each chapter on a new "page". So in a first time I tried with just one new "chapter" : I tried to put on a separate file the title-page from the rest of the book. My epub was without errors (checked with epubvalidator) and suddenly it tells me that I have html errors in my file which were good before... Do you follow me ? What happened ? I just moved away a part of the book by creating a new file appropriate to it (with the same head...). If you would like to have an idea, check on that : thanks for your advices

Last edited by Buble; 06-06-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi
Now I understood my previous errors ! But I have one more question : I wanted to divide my chapters in many files in order to force the reader to start each chapter on a new "page". So in a first time I tried with just one new "chapter" : I tried to put on a separate file the title-page from the rest of the book. My epub was without errors (checked with epubvalidator) and suddenly it tells me that I have html errors in my file which were good before... Do you follow me ? What happened ? I just moved away a part of the book by creating a new file appropriate to it (with the same head...). If you would like to have an idea, check on that : https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads...3194858/a4609b
The 1.epub is the the original, and the 2.epub is the one I tried to put on separate files... thanks for your advices
Calibres editor includes a split tool which make splits painless.
In the Live preview Use the paper airplane like button, move the green line to the desired split point: Click the mouse. in seconds is is done with all the needed 'adjustments' also done. (repeat for each desired split point) Save. Done.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #28
Buble

Hi
What can I do if the error "not declared in opf" is still here whereas I have changed my metadata line in the opf ?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi
What can I do if the error "not declared in opf" is still here whereas I have changed my metadata line in the opf ?
You need to stop trying to do things manually and let an editor do the nitty-gritty details for you. You seem to be flailing around and you don't need to be.

Or if you want to continue doing things "by hand," you're going to need to attach the epub. Without seeing the all the code, no one can possibly guess what might be wrong (other than the new split file ACTUALLY not being declared in the opf file, of course).
Old 06-07-2014, 04:40 AM   #30
Buble

Ok, sure, here is my file :
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads...7083206/964e22
I would love not to do it "by hand" but I don't know how to do it in an other way : "my" Calibre doesn't purposes me to edit the books (it just makes the conversion), and I did mine with word (conversion to html) and then RJ textedit where I put the css in an other file, and create the content.opf and the toc.ncx... But if you know a software or have a better solution, of course I take it !
Thanks for your support.