Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
HarperCollins sale: "Fill Your New Tablet up to 75% Off" thru Jan 7

This is a splash that I noticed on the BN home page this morning...except on the BN site it said "Fill Your New Nook", not "Fill Your New Tablet"

But when you click on the link on the BN site, it opens in a new HC window with a list of about 100 (?) books that supposedly are up to 75% off. The books are sorted into lists by genre. When you hover over each book on the list it provides links to the book at Amazon, BN, Kobo, and others, although, annoyingly, it doesn't give the price until you click through to one of the sites. (And the Amazon links seem broken - at least they weren't working for me this morning, although if I search on the books I can find them.)

The list of discounted books has a LOT of books on it which I think I recognize as having been previously discounted by HC at various times, like as part of the Kindle 100 Books a Month, so it seemed a bit tired to me.

So, YMMV, but here is the link to the HC website:

http://ebookdeal.hc.com/

Last edited by sufue; 12-31-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Some that I clicked on are only 99 Cents!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
But no SF or secondary world Fantasy
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Must be 75% off list prices. After I clicked on the fourth or fifth book at $8.99 or $9.99 I gave up. I rarely pay more than $5.00 for any fiction.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Sony had a "fill up your reader" sale awhile back...but when you read the small print, it was good for one book only. Can't remember when it was, but I hope this one is better at 'truth in advertising' than that one was!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
A query .... are the books listed on that link page the only books that are on the deal?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Must be 75% off list prices. After I clicked on the fourth or fifth book at $8.99 or $9.99 I gave up. I rarely pay more than $5.00 for any fiction.
I did see some at $8.99, but also found several at $1.99 or even $0.99. Now if only I wanted any of them (that I didn't already have)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
A query .... are the books listed on that link page the only books that are on the deal?
I believe so - there is no code or anything else to use on other books.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
New James Rollins appeared to be 9.99. So not on sale at all?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
I'd guess the publisher considers that a sale since it doesn't come out in paper for that price until March. Usually books out in paper as hardcovers are $12.99-$19.99 when not "on sale".
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
$9.99 for an eBook of something that's only currently out in hardback seems a very good price indeed to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
$9.99 for an eBook of something that's only currently out in hardback seems a very good price indeed to me.
Even better is free, if you're lucky enough to have a library that carries the book.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems like an absolute garden variety price to me, not a 'great sale price'.

Especially given previous sales of Rollins books at times.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Seems like an absolute garden variety price to me, not a 'great sale price'.

Especially given previous sales of Rollins books at times.
I guess it perhaps depends what you're used to paying for a book. The standard paperback price in the UK is normally either £6.99 or £7.99 (roughly US$11 or 13), so to get a book that's only available in hardback at below paperback prices, seems like a good deal to me.

If you're used to paying less, though, it probably isn't. Although when I was working in Australia at the end of 2011, I found that books were quite expensive - certainly more than we pay in the UK - so I'm slightly surprised you consider this a "garden variety" price. What do you pay for hardbacks in Australia?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's a bit difficult to compare ebook prices to Australian paperback and hardback prices in the same way as you can (for example) do it in the US. This is one area Australians are somewhat lucky for many ebook prices.

For example, just looked up Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon. The paperback on the Dymocks site is $29.99. Yep - that's paperback. The price showing for the ebook is $9.99 at Google Play etc..

So it's considerably better to get an ebook as an Australian than it is to get a hardback/paperback in some cases.

However, interestingly, the ebook at Dymocks (powered by Google eBooks) is showing $14.99 for the ebook.

So if you purchase through Google ebooks using the Dymocks storefront you pay $14.99, but you only pay $9.99 if you purchase from Google Play directly.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote