Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
MBRO95:

Excuse me?

The OP asked a question, I answered and I provided my opinion as well.

Now, if you don't like it or do not share it, feel free to reply back with arguments, instead of starting personal fights here, which is against forum's guidelines.

If with two posts only this is going to be your attitude, maybe is better for you to find another place where to write and post questions about ebooks and ereaders; such attitude and personal attacks are not tolerated here.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #17
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
What are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Not a good idea, in my opinion, as you are not reading a true ebook format, but browsing Internet. eink readers are not for that...

But if people start to abuse or hack it somehow, we all will soon end with nothing.
I think there's a misunderstanding here.

I much prefer reading on my Kindle DX than I do on my (wife's ) iPad.

My Kindle DX, however, is blocked - I can't subscribe to a carrier's data program. I can't use my WiFi. I can't even browse through my computer whilst connected using the USB.

So if I had the option of reading online content (and Safari's mobile site is much like Wikipedia - static text and images) on the new Paperwhite (and assuming they provide a Paperwhite with a DX's form factor), I'd switch in an instant.

What does abuse or hacking got to do with it?
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
masquedbunny
masquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone 4
I also wish they hadn't limited the internet use on the PW. I was considering updating to the PW 3G, but the limited web access is a little disappointing.

I've never tried to tether my current Kindle (Keyboard 3G), but I do use it to read on fanfiction.net when I'm on the train or the bus. I mean, I can use programs like FLAG and Calibre to upload stories, but for fics that are still in progress, it's always made more sense to simply bookmark the last chapter available and check up on it later. It also takes up less space on the Kindle.

Maybe that's still considered an abuse of the web browsing feature? I don't know.

I'm very attracted to the overall sleekness of the PW, but the Keyboard still feels more useful for my purposes.
masquedbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Hello everybody,

yesterday I asked in the german forum, if free web browsing with a Paperwhite 3G is also working with a german device on german territory. Then I would buy the PW as my first ereader.

Unfortunately, one of the mods closed my thread by giving the reason "Don't steal 3G from Amazon", which I can't unterstand at all, since free web access is tolerated by Amazon for years and therefore surely not illegal.

Therefore I kindly ask the English community if there is expert knowledge available to my question.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, it's limited. It's limited because people have hacked the 3G on other Kindles and used it for tethering. Amazon is not going to give back the unlimited 3G because of this. If they do, people will just tether again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Dear JSWolf,

thanks for your reply. What I am mostly interested in is, if this limited web access will also be available with a german device from german territory.

Quite a specific question to an English forum, I know. But in the german forum, my thread was closed. Therefore I will appreciate every knowledge about the german conditions.

All feedback is highly appreciated.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Kindle It's for reading.

If you find yourself using it way more for internet, maybe is the wrong device for you. Maybe a tablet is what you need, or a cellphone.
I don't see your point as being relevant or helpful to the OP and their question. I also disagree with your reasoning. Supposing his cell-phone battery is dead and he needs to access the web? Multi-functionality is a good thing.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PW has restricted Internet access via 3G everywhere. You can access Amazon and Wikipedia only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #24
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Perhaps they may allow other websites, if they sponsored Amazon. Though I have 2 of the other 3G with keyboard, I use to use a lot.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Shelfari also.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #26
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Shelfari is powered by Amazon, so why not?
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You *can* access anywhere using a PW, by clicking links in the "social networking" function until you get to Google, but it is not that easy or practical, and I will not provide instructions. It may be worth exploring in that area in an emergency, but certainly not for general purpose web browsing. Just for educational or emergency purposes. No reason to abuse Amazon's generosity here...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote