Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #46
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
The article points out that the image will only last for about 90 (until the battery runs out). However, this isn't exactly true. The first time my Kindle's battery died (depleted) I was stuck with screensaver image on the screen. Even when I turned the Kindle off and removed the battery the image was still on the screen. So an image will continue to last, but it won't be replaced with new images.

I'm buying a couple; I will be hacking!
The dynamic images will only last for 90 days. Whatever is on the screen when power is removed will remain there until the screen is powered again. Thanks to E Ink's bistability.

How do you like those apples, LCDs?
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #47
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yes, we have to hope that no-one sees this as the ideal end application for e-ink in the media, but rather that this is just a way to make the general public more aware, with better-adapted solutions in the (near) future.
I almost hope the public does NOT become aware of e-ink from this source... a b/w screen flashing the same text message, over and over, won't impress anybody (sorry, Vizplex). They should have at least found a way to animate it, present graphics, or something...

Or maybe they should have put a free subscription to their Zinio magazine edition in every regularly-priced magazine.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 07-22-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #48
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I almost hope the public does NOT become aware of e-ink from this source... a b/w screen flashing the same text message, over and over, won't impress anybody (sorry, Vizplex). They should have at least found a way to animate it, present graphics, or something...

Or maybe they should have put a free subscription to their Zinio magazine edition in every regularly-priced magazine.
Have you looked at the Ford ad using an E Ink display?

Yeah, I didn't think so. But you can find it on the inside cover of the Esquire Magazine. It is supposed to have animation for one of their new vehicles.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #49
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
That kind of begs the question, chef. Have you seen the Ford ad using an Eink display?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #50
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
it would be cool if the entire magazine was e-ink and rechargeable at some point. you could simply download the new month's magazine each month. it would be even cooler if that would happen on magazines that aren't esquire

although i admit that i will be looking for the e-ink esquire next month...
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #51
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
it would be cool if the entire magazine was e-ink and rechargeable at some point. you could simply download the new month's magazine each month. it would be even cooler if that would happen on magazines that aren't esquire
Look for that to be more likely when eInk displays support color. I can't currently imagine something like Vogue going eInk.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #52
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
true - but it might be getting closer
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26732

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Look for that to be more likely when eInk displays support color. I can't currently imagine something like Vogue going eInk.
______
Dennis
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 AM   #53
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney
true - but it might be getting closer
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26732
Well, yes...

The question is whether this is based on a color version of the eInk technology currently manufactured by PVI, or a different technology developed by Fujitus.

Right now, PVI is a sole source, constraining supply and price. It will be quite interesting if alternatives become available.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #54
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:

although i admit that i will be looking for the e-ink esquire next month...
that is exactly where i could imagine the evolution of e-ink technology leading ; you could have your "magazine" which would in fact be some kind of device, and load it with whatever magazine content you wanted to read (dozens of them, if you wanted).

but as dennis says, this would need color displays to really work.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #55
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
that is exactly where i could imagine the evolution of e-ink technology leading ; you could have your "magazine" which would in fact be some kind of device, and load it with whatever magazine content you wanted to read (dozens of them, if you wanted).

Get Steve's new book, and you'll catch a glimpse of what he thinks it will look like.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #56
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(It's good to have fans!)
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #57
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
(It's good to have fans!)
Love the Old Town/Village thing! About half way through.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #58
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post

Yeah, I didn't think so.
You're right, I haven't. Is there an online link to see it? ('cause I'm not buying the magazine!)
Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #59
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:

I agree, for magazines, colour is needed; more greyscales will work for others. Though as I have been previously educated they are currently fine for Manga.

These parts aside, how do they differ from the Kindle. I find it a really easy way to read a number of newspapers and magazines (okay the selection is small, but the idea is there). Or the current Orange Read&Go trial for that matter.

(I wonder what would have happened if this issue of Esquire had been available on the Kindle....)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #60
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
(I wonder what would have happened if this issue of Esquire had been available on the Kindle....)
... perhaps they would have attached a piece of paper to the Kindle edition...
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!