Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #31
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
Yes, which suggests that when you need more than one screen, having only two is probably not going to be enough. Probably best to simply have multiple book slates than have dual-screen units. Reminds me of some Star Trek scenes where a character researching something would have a tabletop littered with PADDs...
I say all you ever need is 3 screens.

2 for comperative reading, 1 for browsing for documents.

I'm basing this proposition on a research done with x-rays examination. When they first created digital x-rays display screen, they looked on how the docters were working with traditional x-rays, there they had a panel to hold up to 10 x-rays picutures. So the techs gave them 10 digital screens.

Later someone really studied in detail how doctors worked, and they never referred to more than 2 pictures at once (to compare them). So in the new design they had 3 screens. 2 super-high-definition for the x-ray pictures, a third normal one to browse through the data to display, add comments, etc....
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #32
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
I say all you ever need is 3 screens.

2 for comparative reading, 1 for browsing for documents.
Whether that is sufficient depends on what you are doing. Matrox makes graphics cards than can support two, three, and even four monitors at once. They are beloved of folks like stock traders, who can have one screen devoted to real time quotes, another to a spreadsheet doing analysis, another to email and IM...

I use software on my PDA called Palm Bible+. PB+ has a split screen feature, allowing you to display two different versions of the text at a time, with synchronized scrolling so that each displays the same verses. It also supports foreign alphabets, so you can read the English version in one half, and Hebrew or Greek versions in the other.

Something like that would be superb on a dual screen display.
______
Dennis
(Who is not a believer in any religion, but is fascinated by the myriad forms in which the spiritual urge manifests itself, and has a number of sacred texts on his device.)
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #33
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Whether that is sufficient depends on what you are doing. Matrox makes graphics cards than can support two, three, and even four monitors at once. They are beloved of folks like stock traders, who can have one screen devoted to real time quotes, another to a spreadsheet doing analysis, another to email and IM...
There are some things, where two screens really are a benefit, especially when you are comparing stuff, or doing stuff with data from something else (taking notes, debugging & codiging) ... etc. However some things are only in peoples heads, thinking the more screens the cooler. Like spreadsheets and emails... this one can easily achieved by multiple virtual screens... unless you have to write people about what you are seeing in a spreadsheet. Or so. But all this tasks always require at most 2 physical screens. I cannot think of any application where more than 3 physical screens are a real benefit. Virtual screens a lot can make sense, but for physicals...
Old 06-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #34
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
e.g. greater physical size. Having a 2x2 or 3x3 setting could be used to e.g. display larger maps.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #35
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
There are some things, where two screens really are a benefit, especially when you are comparing stuff, or doing stuff with data from something else (taking notes, debugging & codiging) ... etc. However some things are only in peoples heads, thinking the more screens the cooler. Like spreadsheets and emails... this one can easily achieved by multiple virtual screens... unless you have to write people about what you are seeing in a spreadsheet. Or so. But all this tasks always require at most 2 physical screens. I cannot think of any application where more than 3 physical screens are a real benefit. Virtual screens a lot can make sense, but for physicals...
Depends on your application and your screen.

At home, I run a 19" monitor in 1600x1200 mode. I have one of the "dual head" Matrox cards, but don't have room for a second monitor. If I did, there would be another 19" screen next to it. I have virtual desktop software, but seldom use it. One big screen mostly suffices.

As a sysadmin, multiple screens can be a near necessity, especially with SSH sessions to half a dozen servers at once going.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #36
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
e.g. greater physical size. Having a 2x2 or 3x3 setting could be used to e.g. display larger maps.
In that case, I'd prefer one bigger screen
Old 06-30-2008, 02:51 AM   #37
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
@axel: Accepted. But OTOH most people wouldnt need a greater eReader - but still perhaps sometimes wish to display a larger map?
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #38
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
For me the value would be paging alternately, and if one was a touch screen I can see value in writing notes next to the page I can see. Increased ruggedness when closed would be a bonus.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote