Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
The ultimate cheap tablet buyer’s guide

Surprised no one posted a link to this G&M article. Some funny stuff about the vox, some true, some not. Overly enamoured with the playbook (owns rim stock?).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2269508/
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
"Grade: F (Last week), C+ (This Week), ?? (Next Week) "

That made me laugh. I seldomly laugh out loud when I'm alone.
And it's very true.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Well I got his point, but to be strictly accurate, the grade was higher before the last update, don't you think?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Half-half. The sleep of death already existed before if I remember correctly. The last update just addressed a few performance issues.
The Vox is still light years from where it could be, though. So in fact, both of the updates didn't mean much. From the beginning, I chose the Vox over the cheap Chinese tablet because I was hoping Kobo would improve it and well, they do. Still planning on installing my obscure Klingon Ubuntu Linux as well.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
A "cheap Chinese tablet" I bought right after realizing that Kobo Vox is too small for most of my needs - Le Pan 10" tablet (got it for 169$ with free shipping from amazon.ca) - is light years ahead of Kobo Vox in terms of stability and usability - despite of (or may be thanks to?) it's older, 2.2 Android. Le Pan is simply amazing (screen is identical to Ipad, battery easily lasts 3 days, it takes 2-3 seconds from going back from sleep to have WiFi on, full official Android market, all the hardware you could think of - GPS, bluetooth, webcam etc, built like a tank).
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
hieronymos
Groupie

Oh yes, warranty and replaceable batteries were a factor as well. ;-)
Still sounds like a good deal though - I already have a 9 inch netbook-slate, so if I want to do some weightlifting I got what I need. Funny thing is: I noticed with that netvertible that I very rarely use it in my hands. I prefer opening it up and putting it on my lap. Unfortunately the non-replaceable batteries are becoming the total and ultimate show stopper soon.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Oh yes, warranty and replaceable batteries were a factor as well. ;-)
Still sounds like a good deal though - I already have a 9 inch netbook-slate, so if I want to do some weightlifting I got what I need. Funny thing is: I noticed with that netvertible that I very rarely use it in my hands. I prefer opening it up and putting it on my lap. Unfortunately the non-replaceable batteries are becoming the total and ultimate show stopper soon.
---------------------------------------

Well, we have found out on this forum how easily one can get to the Vox battery. We now just have to find a replacement out on the Net.... If so, it's no longer a trash unit with the lights go out. I think that we as a 'nation' of Vox owners need to poll battery replacement sites and ask if they have the battery that is resident, and if not....could they possibly start stocking it? I for one do not want to have to throw away a perfectly working Vox, just because the 'lights go out in Georgia'!
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
hieronymos
Groupie

If I have to, I can order it from China on ebay. Did that three times for my MacBook because Apple had long past stopped production. When even China stopped making the batteries, it was time to move on. Let's just hope, if Kobo doesn't offer them, that the Vox sells well enough so they start copying. :-)
Old 12-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
There's a chance that the Vox uses a very generic battery that other 7" tablets use. However, with pretty much all products I bought in the last few years I never had to replace a lithium battery. It might be quality brands like Sandisk, HP and Toshiba just use better quality of lithium batteries unlike certain companies who pose their cheap garbage as quality (I'm referring to many big companies that sell stuff by just using their names to sell products). My Father is using a 8 year Nokia phone and it practically has as good battery life as the day he bought it.

Edit: That article seem very bias to me.

Last edited by markT4; 12-15-2011 at 08:04 PM.
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Well, I swore I would never buy another archos product (a boat which kobo may end up in if they don't fix the sleep of death) but this upcoming tablet certainly kills the vox on features and without tying yourself to the limited app choice and questionable future of the playbook:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-573...ol;editorPicks
Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yanno, nobody, I have seen remarkably few complaints from anyone since the update. Kat had issues,which were resolved, as you know, but really people seem pretty pleased. How did it go for you? I'm pretty sure that the Vox in a very early iteration and Archos after several years of trying to get it right are not in the same boat.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
wwat
Enthusiast
wwat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, iPod
Hi taming,

The sleep of death issue was not resolved with the update, the bug can be reliable reproduced on my device. Have you manage to test it since the update?

1) Set wi-fi sleep policy to: when screen turns off

2) Wait for screen to turn off an then wait until the wireless connection drops, this could take a while. Once the wireless connection drops the device is locked until you perform a restart with using the power button.

3) Upon restart of the device you will have to manually restart the wireless connection.

I've called support and am awaiting a response from tier 2 technicians.

W.
wwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Yanno, nobody, I have seen remarkably few complaints from anyone since the update. Kat had issues,which were resolved, as you know, but really people seem pretty pleased. How did it go for you? I'm pretty sure that the Vox in a very early iteration and Archos after several years of trying to get it right are not in the same boat.
I have not applied the update. Sleep of death is really the only issue I care about and will be holding off updates until there is evidence it has been resolved.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm... I still get the sleep of death after the update but I nearly always have WiFi off (need to save the battery for the bus).

On the upside I like the fact that the low battery warning doesn't auto shut down otherwise the update seems (subjectively) a bit slower to me than before.
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote