Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Access to the Dictionary files

Anyone knows how to access the PRS 650 dictionaries files ? I would like to study the possibility of adding dictionaries to the reader, and the first step would be to analyze the structure of the "built-in" dictionaries. I'm willing to spend some time on it, I have some "computer knowledge" if that means anything (well I know some programming and UNIX at least), but I don't know where to start. Would I have to install some hack to access those files ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi Papi!

I assume you are looking for these files:
Code:
			<variable name="bbebDictionaryRootFile" value="/opt1/dict/LIBRARY.MBF"/>
			<variable name="bbebDictionaries" value="CDUS125D00001:STR_DICTIONARY_US:English-US,CDUS125D00002:STR_DICTIONARY_BRITISH:English-UK,CDUS125D00009:STR_DICTIONARY_EN_TO_FR:English-UK,CDUS125D0000A:STR_DICTIONARY_FR_TO_EN:French-France,CDUS125D00003:STR_DICTIONARY_EN_TO_GM:English-UK,CDUS125D00004:STR_DICTIONARY_GM_TO_EN:German-Germany,CDUS125D0000B:STR_DICTIONARY_EN_TO_SP:English-UK,CDUS125D0000C:STR_DICTIONARY_SP_TO_EN:Sapanish-Spain,CDUS125D00005:STR_DICTIONARY_EN_TO_IT:English-UK,CDUS125D00006:STR_DICTIONARY_IT_TO_EN:Italian-Italy,CDUS125D00007:STR_DICTIONARY_EN_TO_DT:English-UK,CDUS125D00008:STR_DICTIONARY_DT_TO_EN:Dutch-Netherlands"/>
			<variable name="bbebDictionaryDefault" value="CDUS125D00001"/>
Info taken from kconfig.xml

Further I assume they will be in some kind of BBEB/LRF format, as there is a "FskBBeBDictionary.so" binary in the "\opt\sony\ebook\application" path.

The dictionary-files are not included in the "standard" cramfs-image, so they will be stored in some other part of the file-system and mounted in place.

You will have to "russify" your reader to enable the test/autorun mode.
With a modified testscript you can get access to the filesystem and find and possibly copy out the dictionary files.

[Edit]As Unix-User you will also consider setting up a serial-console.
See Xaphiosis Post here [\Edit]

You should also have a look on the cramfs-tools and igorsk fine deFSK-Scripts.

Hope that gives you a start

Last edited by Mark Nord; 11-11-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Some additional informations not worth a new post
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
That would be wonderful if someone could figure out the structure of the dictionary file. That way we could possibly add our own dictionaries. Please keep us informed of any progress.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mark : thanks a lot for the information, which is exactly what I needed to start.
jgray : I hope to get somewhere, and if I will definitely post progress I make if there is some.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
zcqsimon
zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zcqsimon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm also quite interesting with the dictionary of PRS-650, hope you can give some hints or tool to do it, good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Mark : thanks a lot for the information, which is exactly what I needed to start.
jgray : I hope to get somewhere, and if I will definitely post progress I make if there is some.
zcqsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
Quote:
Anyone knows how to access the PRS 650 dictionaries files ? I would like to study the possibility of adding dictionaries to the reader, and the first step would be to analyze the structure of the "built-in" dictionaries. I'm willing to spend some time on it, I have some "computer knowledge" if that means anything (well I know some programming and UNIX at least), but I don't know where to start. Would I have to install some hack to access those files ?
Beyond adding dictionaries, would it be of any interest to you to determine a fix whereby words on the "Word List" on the 650,350 or 950 could be saved to the computer similarly to the current ability to save highlights and notes to the computer. In this manner, the word list could be reviewed periodically without it being automatically overwritten after 100 word limit is reached. Thank you.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Just wondering if any progress has been made with this? If you have managed to extract the dictionary files and any associated files, I'd be willing to try figuring out the structure. PM me about this if you like.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
Papi
Addict

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this thread : unfortunately, I gave up. I didn't even succeed at accessing the dictionary files, so that's it basically. If I ever find more informations on how to do it I'll post any progress, but for now the best bet is maybe one of the alternative firmware maker will have interest in doing this.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #9
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Papi
Quote:
didn't even succeed at accessing the dictionary files
Papi, I can send you one from PRS-600, if it would help. (have in mind, that the stuff is copyrighted)
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
Pumpa
Enthusiast
Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Pumpa can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have all from 950 version. 150MB of size, contact me via PM.
Pumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
Papi
Addict

I didn't have much time to spend on this, but I'm more or less stuck now, the problem is to understand the structure of a MSD (BBeB dictionary) file. If it's anything like a LRF file, it should be something like a header and then compressed XML data if I understood correctly. Now it seems to me difficult to go further without knowing what's in the header first, like a "XOR key" if such thing was used, or the size of the compressed XML. I think the first progresses in understanding LRF structure was done by reverse engineering, creating basic LRF files and analyzing the output. I don't know of any software to create BBeB dictionary files though. I even tried to decompile FskBBeBDictionary.so, but IDA / Hex-Rays which could eventually give me some comprehensible C code costs way too much, the free version gives me only ASM code, and that's beyond my knowledge. So basically if anyone has any idea to go further...I heard there was a "Sony BBeB dictionary Viewer for Windows" software available at some point, but I can't find it, and I'm note sure it would be of any use anyway.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
Papi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpa View Post
I have all from 950 version. 150MB of size, contact me via PM.
Sorry I didn't saw your post before, and thanks for the help, but I already have an example of a MSD file.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
TJ27
Enthusiast
TJ27 doesn't litterTJ27 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-350
Papi
Sony BBeB dictionary Viewer include in japan software installation disk for Sony Clie TH55DK, Memory Stick dictionary and stanalone viewer for this.
TJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
Papi
Addict

I couldn't find a download of Sony BBeB dictionary Viewer, but I found a software called BBeB dictionary studio which should allow to create dictionaries. Though I thought as a first step I should try to replace a working dictionary with another one (for example : replacing Dutch -> English with English -> French) and it didn't work. When I double-tap a word (even words that existe in Dutch, French and English), no definition displays. I tried messing with the header of the msd file, with no result though.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
TJ27
Enthusiast
TJ27 doesn't litterTJ27 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-350
Papi
BBeb Dictionary studio worj in 'shiftJS' encoding (tittle, autor and words) - sony prs use unicode. Need big "path" bbebdic.dll
Official selling sony dictionary only japan -
And header working dictionary and "made in studio" - different, not only CDUS <-> FDJP
Only library.mbf work - i remove dictionary and mbf file edited correctly
I attach 'patched' bbedic.dll (only not need correct CDUS <-> FDJP)
Attached Files
File Type: zip BBeBDic.zip (20.9 KB, 479 views)
TJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote