Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Lightbulb StarDict

Edit 20100804: new release v2.3
To upgrade to v2.3 use the latest binary _stardict/bin/stardict .
Popup window stabilization. Now popup hides *only* when you click outside it.
Previously it became hidden on clicking inside or even on putting the stylus close to DR

Yess! Here's a long awaited software working just fine on the beloved DR800 and for DR1000 users. As usual unpack everything to have
<sdcard>
----/Programs/ <-- this one is important!! will work correctly only from here!!
--------_stardict/
--------stardict.desktop

You can translate individual words during reading a book in FBReader! Open StarDict, then Go back to SD-Card (leave StarDict open!), start FBReader, open your book and do a relatively fast double click on a word. In a second you have a translation.

There's Webster dictionary already inside, so you can check out whether the thing is operable. The dictionaries are available here http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php . Important! You have to select StarDict format in the combo (upper right corner of the page) and press submit. Extract dictionaries to _stardict/share/stardict/dic/

Tons of dictionaries in the correct format are located here http://www.huzheng.org/stardict-iso/stardict-dic/ Again, extract the needed ones to _stardict/share/stardict/dic/

Occasional non-English input symbols can be substituted with ? sign - StarDict will suggest you several guesses (too bad this trick will not work with Cyrillic input ..). Improved multilingual matchbox keyboard may come out later

Exit button is in the lower left corner, a door with an arrow.

Enjoy!

Details for developers:
Spoiler:
this is version 2.4.8, no plugins, pure StarDict format support. I just had to make it compilable (were missed includes in .hpp files). 3.0.2 from rep compiles without questions but puts the processor into 100% load .. Same with 3.0.1 (required cleaning the compilation). It looks like too many screen updates are generated (seen it with "top" command in rxvt).

To compile the sources execute build_all_from_scratch.sh .
Main changes were introduced to src/stardict.cpp and src/utils.cpp, cleanly seen by comments.

Changes:
v2.3:
  • Popup window stabilization. No hiding on clicking inside popup area
v2.2:
  • Increased selection time from 0.3 sec to 2 sec
  • Several other popup stabilization
  • Can observe much fewer fullscreen updates now
v2.1:
  • A unified binary for DR800 and DR1000.
  • "Dictionary" tabname when running on DR1000
  • Configuration is autosaved to <sdcard>/Programs/_config/.stardict
v2:
  • DR1000 friendly, opens a separate tab.
  • profiling file for gprof is not generated anymore ( oops )
v1:
  • initial release
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sd-format.png
Views:	724
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	55305   Click image for larger version

Name:	stardict-qemu.png
Views:	857
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	55311   Click image for larger version

Name:	fbreader+stardict.png
Views:	748
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	55499  
Attached Files
File Type: zip stardict-2.4.8-src.zip (2.06 MB, 590 views)
File Type: zip stardict-v2.2.zip (2.72 MB, 510 views)
File Type: zip stardict-v2.3.zip (2.72 MB, 643 views)

Last edited by dima_tr; 08-04-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: New release 2.3
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
sHiN3
sHiN3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Boox Leaf, Kobo Libra 2
Amazing! Thanks a lot!
sHiN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
al1972
Enthusiast
al1972 began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, IPad
Thumbs up

Your soft is amazing as usual! Thank you once again! Spasibo!
al1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
Innobrain
Innobrain began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
Wow, this is close to my need, discussed in an earlier thread. Can this dictionary be used while reading a book, as in a lookup function?
Innobrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #5
walter822
happy reader
walter822 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, IrexDR800S, Pocketbook IQ/701
Excellent! Thank you for this soft...although on the long run one'll wish a translate aplications directly from a book one is just reading. But till then I thank you for this.
walter822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
javifields
Enthusiast
javifields began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
Great! Thank you!
javifields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innobrain View Post
Wow, this is close to my need, discussed in an earlier thread. Can this dictionary be used while reading a book, as in a lookup function?
There is a specially tricked way to achieve it, by using some of the DR1000 programs on the DR800 (see [1]).

Thus you will get tabs for every app/book opened and you can go from one app to another without closing them.

Anyway, be very careful, it could be dangerous for the stability of your device.

Iņigo

[1] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86082
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Newer versions of StarDict (3.0.*) allow starting them in a "server" mode, thus require no visual part. Do not know if this is the case for the current 2.4.8. The only thing to make sure is whether it is possible to mark/select words in usual books, like pdf, epub etc. I remember in desktop Acrobat Reader I had to click on special tool = by default this feature is switched off. Have no idea how it is in DR800 Acrobat. Same no idea for epub and the others. I guess I have to study the plugins implementation.

Word lookup works just fine when you mark/select smth inside a StarDict article.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
my dr800sg can't open this.. is there anybody else with the same problem?
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
sHiN3
sHiN3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Boox Leaf, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
Newer versions of StarDict (3.0.*) allow starting them in a "server" mode, thus require no visual part. Do not know if this is the case for the current 2.4.8. The only thing to make sure is whether it is possible to mark/select words in usual books, like pdf, epub etc. I remember in desktop Acrobat Reader I had to click on special tool = by default this feature is switched off. Have no idea how it is in DR800 Acrobat. Same no idea for epub and the others. I guess I have to study the plugins implementation.

Word lookup works just fine when you mark/select smth inside a StarDict article.
True. Don't know if anyone can get Adobe Reader Mobile SDK, so we can dig in.
sHiN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #11
dima_tr
Groupie

@bokjeid: try to run the app through RunDebug and post the error message.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
al1972
Enthusiast
al1972 began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, IPad
Thumbs up

Works fine. No trouble at all. Add several extra dictionaries. That will be great make Stadict plugging for FBReader... But, I should say, this program added lots of value to DR!
al1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
dima_tr
Groupie

IT WORKS ! IT JUST WORKS !!
Ok, open StarDict, then Go back to SD-Card (leave StarDict open!), start FBReader, open your book and double click on a word. In a second you have a translation. Thank you for the tip!

mmm, FBReader .. Nice idea, thank you! I've just checked, it is possible to select a word in FBReader by doing double-click. Now two little steps are to be done: 1) clean up StarDict 3.0.2 to make it work smoothly and 2) put a word into a buffer once it is selected in FBReader . The latter one is relatively simple (Iņigo, Mackx, can you do this pleease?), while the former would require some efforts .. Something is wrong in the default settings and/or refresh algorithms ..

Last edited by dima_tr; 07-18-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
dima_tr
Groupie

I have updated the top post. Added a new link to the dictionaries and explained how to combine FBReader + StarDict for word lookup translation.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
Yes! It's working in FBReader! Just what I've been longing for since I lay my hands on DR800! But working in FBReader also means no pdf lookup, so what should I do with my heaps of scanned pdfs...(thinking). No matter, it's guys like you that make my dr800 experience so wonderful, thank you dima_tr!!!
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stardict