Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Non-English / Unicode PDF metadata?

How do I add/edit and save non-English/Unicode PDF metadata? I tried some PDF metadata editor but none worked.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
How do I add/edit and save non-English/Unicode PDF metadata? I tried some PDF metadata editor but none worked.
I thought it's UTF16 (and not UTF8) so you might try this.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
CoolDragon
Addict

How do I specify the encoding of the metadata to be UTF16?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How do I specify the encoding of the metadata to be UTF16?
Depends on the editor - some of the may not have the option.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
CoolDragon
Addict

Someone can recommend any metadata editor which can specify the encoding?
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I just tested with calibre's ebook-meta command line program, and it did fine with unicode characters.

E.g., I put in:

ebook-meta Temp.pdf --title="ἀἐἠ"

And sure, enough, the title became ἀἐἠ.

Of course, you may have a problem if your shell/terminal/command line prompt doesn't support unicode input...

I imagine you could do it through calibre's GUI too, though for some reason, calibre's GUI confuses me more than using the command line does (and doesn't give me control over the file name and where it goes, which is frustrating)... so I prefer to use the command line tools.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by frabjous; 03-03-2010 at 08:16 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Just remembered - perhaps your fonts just doesn't support these characters.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Just remembered - perhaps your fonts just doesn't support these characters.
OK, out of several PDF metadata editors, only Calibre worked for this purpose. The reason is that all other programs don't write Unicode metadata into the file. But I don't want to install Calibre for just this purpose. So I wrote my own perl script which uses pdftk.

I will just post it here in case someone need it:

Code:
#!/bin/perl

use utf8;
use Encode;

binmode(STDOUT, ":utf8");

$numArgs = $#ARGV + 1;

if ( $numArgs > 1 ) {

open(INFOFILE, "> info.tmp") or die "Cannot open ./info.tmp!\n";

print INFOFILE "InfoKey: Title\n";
    print INFOFILE "InfoValue: ";
    $title = $ARGV[1];