Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Unsupported Compression Method on the jetBook?

I thought I'd post this format issue here, for more expert advice!

I recently downloaded the free, humorous sci-fi novel by Dan McGirt, "Hero Wanted," listed in one of the threads in the Freebie Forum.

I downloaded the mobi version and loaded it onto my Kindle2 and it looks great. When I put in on an SD card for the jetBook, I get this message: Unsupported Compression Method.

Occasionally, this has happened with a few other files, a few weeks ago, but I didn't record the information so I have no specific details to trace back that behavior.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-23-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Does anyone know what reader software the Jetbook is using? FBReader, for example, doesn't support Mobi high compression.

Last edited by Nate the great; 08-23-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I thought I'd post this format issue here, for more expert advice!

I recently downloaded the free, humorous sci-fi novel by Dan McGirt, "Hero Wanted," listed in one of the threads in the Freebie Forum.

I downloaded the mobi version and loaded it onto my Kindle2 and looks great. When I put in on an SD card for the jetBook, I get this message: Unsupported Compression Method.

Occasionally, this has happened with a few other files, a few weeks ago, but I didn't record the information so I have no specific details to trace back that behavior.

Don
I think you can use Colibre to convert it to ePub format. I don't remember that I had any problems with ePub format.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I think you can use Colibre to convert it to ePub format. I don't remember that I had any problems with ePub format.
I haven't tried the epub of this title on the jetBook. That was my next plan.

However, I'm wondering why this happened with the mobi file. I have mobi files on my jetBook and they look great.

The novel is already available in a number of file formats, which I failed to mention. I just prefer mobi to epub.

Don

ADDED: I just added the epub version and it looks fine.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-23-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket has a high compression option that is typically only used for dictionaries. It isn't supported by most 3rd party readers. Calibre can read these ebooks, and you can use it to do a MOBI to MOBI conversion to get a standard compressed version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
MobiPocket has a high compression option that is typically only used for dictionaries. It isn't supported by most 3rd party readers. Calibre can read these ebooks, and you can use it to do a MOBI to MOBI conversion to get a standard compressed version.
Ahhhh, thanks for that information.

I didn't realize that a mobi-to-mobi conversion was even a necessity - for anything. I'll try that just to test out this issue.

Thanks for the information.

Don
Old 08-24-2009, 02:12 AM   #7
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
As wallcraft already pointed out, the trouble is the high compression option used to create the mobi file. From what Ectaco told me, their firmware is at least partially based on FBReader.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote