alxwang
Connoisseur
alxwang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PocketBook 360
Wierd problem about 16G SD card

It is a PNY C6 16G SDHC card.
It is formatted as FAT32 in Windows XP.
I try to copy 12000 files into it.
The first 50000 is normal but after that the speed comes to really slow. About 120K/s write. I tried both Window xp and OSX same result.
All of files are PNG file at 100kb each.

The only thing I can assume is FAT32 has some performance problem at big amount of small files.

Does anyone has this kind of problem? Does DR1000s support other filesystem other than FAT32?

Thanks
alxwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
The DR only sees FAT32. I haven't tried quite that many files, but my 16GB Sandisk works fine even though I have it filled up. Are all of your files in a single folder? Perhaps the CTB is not great at spidering super-large folders. I really doubt that its a FAT32 limitation though.

My 32GB PNY had strange issues; it wouldn't get auto recognized, folders wouldn't open or would take forever to open and I've even had the entire disk wipe itself clean. I've had similar issues with a 16GB A-data, but none with my 32GB Kingston.

Edit: I read your post again and now I'm not sure if you're complaining about your computer or the DR. If its your computer, its probably some buffer overflowing somewhere and thereafter dictating your transfer speeds. Perhaps standard Windows file copy just isn't built for something like that. Just a thought.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-09-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
i am almost sure that all sorts of file indexing has some sort of limits.
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
alxwang
Connoisseur
alxwang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PocketBook 360
Yup. I did another test with cp and kingston. Same problem.
Maybe I should convert all other image into mobi or epub file.
I test the PDF but image view is way faster then image based pdf.
T
alxwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxwang View Post
Yup. I did another test with cp and kingston. Same problem.
I take it you've been taking about the computer all along then. One possible overload may simply be in your display buffer: simply move your "Copying..." window over so that the line that displays the various files being copied is hidden outside the screen (or behind an opaque window). You can also try TeraCopy, which is free. I haven't used it myself, but people I know have reported favorably.

Edit: I tried TeraCopy out, you should really give it a shot.

Quote:
I test the PDF but image view is way faster then image based pdf.
Unfortunately true. I am almost done with my CBR viewer, will probably come up with a beta release next week. That will probably be more convenient.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 05-10-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
For FAT there is a limitation to the number of files that can be copied in the root-folder. So if you are copying there you might expect problems (although your problems, slow copy, will probably be something different.)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The root folder limit applies only for FAT12 and FAT16, in FAT32 the root directory can grow just like any other. But putting a lot of files in any directory is not a good idea - FAT is not really optimized for such use.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote