Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Mobile accessing your PC while on vacation

With summer fast approaching, it's time to gear up for a mobile solution to access your dusty work desktop, because what else would you want to do while drinking a strawberry daiquiri on the beach?

Check out CNet's recent review of LogMeIn, which offers a free solution to control your PC remotely; extra features, such as file transfer, require the paid version (for $13/mo.). Citrix is another company offering similar services with GoToMyPC; although they don't offer a free solution ($20/mo.), testing their trial for 60 mins of connection time or 30 days doesn't cost you anything. A third recommended solution is offered by Laplink Software: their subscription prices start at $9/mo. or $45/yr. and a 15-day free trial is also available. The latter should be sufficient for a two-weeks vacation without suffering from acute computer withdrawal, don't you think?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Unregistered
Nameless Being

I've tried a couple of those you mentioned. Citrix's product is not bad and it is the most well known. It's very nice, but still, it's hard to justify paying their hefty prices when there are others out there that offer similar features for free. I'm not familiar with Laplink, but I've found LogMeIn to be the best remote access out there. Very snappy interface and strong security measures that still can get past firewalls for an easy setup. The free version can be used continuously and they sent me an email asking me whether I wanted to opt into the Pro version or stick to the free after my trial was over. Thankfully, they didn't spam either. Whichever you choose, remote access lets you stay in touch while vacationing without a problem (though maybe that's not always a good thing! )
Advert