Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
gilamon
gilamon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Question on TheAtlantic News Recipe

The recipe for the Atlantic that comes with Calibre works really well, but the font is a little large for my taste. So I decided to try the "nostylesheets" tweak on the recipe but can't seem to get it to work.

I downloaded the recipe from the documentation site and added the "Nostylesheets = true" line and saved it as a custom news source. When I try to run this recipe I get the error below. I tried running the unmodified recipe I downloaded and still get the same error. Running TheAtlantic recipe that came bundled with the app works fine.

Not sure if I'm missing something or what what. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------------

Job: **Fetch news from The Atlantic** **error**: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer') **Traceback**: Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 749, in run File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 444, in control File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 405, in read File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 295, in read error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer') **Log**: c:\users\gcanare\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.4.10 0_nqq9qx_recipes\recipe0.py:39: DeprecationWarning: raising a string exception is deprecated
gilamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you should add the line

html2lrf_options = ['--base-font-size', '10']
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
gilamon

I apologize in advance for my lack of python skills. Reading up on it now.

Is there a way to add that line to the built-in Atlantic recipe or can I get help on the issue below?

I downloaded the atlantic.py recipe from your site and added from file as a custom news source so I could add the extra parameter. However I can't seem to get it to work. When I run it it gives me this error.

Job: **Fetch news from The Atlantic** **error**: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')

Am I skipping a step?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should be able to run the builtin recipe as a custom recipe. You only get that error when running it as a custom recipe?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
gilamon

When I go the Calibre --> Fetch News --> The Atlantic it works fine.

However when I do the following it doesn't:

1) download atlantic.py from ]http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/calibre/trunk/files/kovid%40kovidgoyal.net-20080509231359-le3xf7ynwc6eew90?file_id=1298%40b0dd1a5d-880a-0410-ada5-a57097536bc1%3Alibprs500%252Ftrunk%3Asrc%252Flibpr s500%252Fweb%252Ffeeds%252Frecipes

2) Go to Calibre --> Fetch News --> Add a Custom News Source --> Load recipe from file and load Atlantic.py exit to main menu

3) Go to Calibre --> Fetch News --> Custom News Source --> The Atlantic

4) get following error:

Job: **Fetch news from The Atlantic** **error**: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer') **Traceback**: Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 749, in run File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 444, in control File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 405, in read File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\parallel.py", line 295, in read error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer') **Log**: c:\users\gcanare\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.4.10 0_q8g8ho_recipes\recipe0.py:38: DeprecationWarning: raising a string exception is deprecated
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm I just tried that and it worked for me:

Try the recipe below

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env  python

__license__   = 'GPL v3'
__copyright__ = '2008, Kovid Goyal <kovid at kovidgoyal.net>'
'''
theatlantic.com
'''
import re
from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class TheAtlantic(BasicNewsRecipe):

title      = 'The Atlantic'
    __author__ = 'Kovid Goyal'
    description = 'Current affairs and politics focussed on the US'
    INDEX = 'http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/current'

remove_tags_before = dict(name='div', id='storytop')
    remove_tags        = [dict(name='div', id=['seealso', 'storybottom', 'footer'])]
    no_stylesheets     = True

def parse_index(self):
        articles = []

soup = self.index_to_soup(self.INDEX)

issue = soup.find('span', attrs={'class':'issue'})
        if issue:
            self.timefmt = ' [%s]'%self.tag_to_string(issue).rpartition('|')[-1].strip().replace('/', '-')

cover = soup.find('img', alt=re.compile('Cover'), src=True)
        if cover is not None:
            self.cover_url = 'http://theatlantic.com'+cover['src']

for item in soup.findAll('div', attrs={'class':'item'}):
            a = item.find('a')
            if a and a.has_key('href'):
                url = a['href']
                url = 'http://www.theatlantic.com/'+url.replace('/doc', 'doc/print')
                title = self.tag_to_string(a)
                byline = item.find(attrs={'class':'byline'})
                date = self.tag_to_string(byline) if byline else ''
                description = ''
                articles.append({
                                 'title':title,
                                 'date':date,
                                 'url':url,
                                 'description':description
                                })

return [('Current Issue', articles)]
Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
gilamon

It fixed it and I was able to change the font size per your suggestion. Thanks for the insanely quick and personal response.