Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Voice of Reason
Voice of Reason began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Back to the drawing board...

So I started this thread a few months ago, seeking an eBook reader. I eventually decided to purchase a Samsung Q1-U under the theory that even if it didn't turn out to be a great eBook reader, I was pretty sure I could find some use for a little computer.

Well, the Samsung doesn't make a great eBook reader. It's thick, surprisingly heavy for its size, runs hot, and is not very comfortable to hold in portrait mode. (It's not particularly comfortable to hold in landscape mode either, for that matter.) It's got a measly 1GB of RAM which isn't nearly enough to run the Vista Home Premium it comes preinstalled with... although I've recently blown out the OS to install the new Ubuntu MID edition, I don't think that'll solve the problems with using the device as an eBook reader. In short, I was looking for a good way to carry around a lot of books in a small space and read them in comfort and convenience, and I'm still looking.

To recap my parameters:
  • Money is no object, as long as I'm getting what I pay for.
  • I'm a tech-freak, gadget-lovin' early adopter, so lots of really cool bells and whistles are a big plus.
  • Easy reading of full-page PDFs is virtually a necessity.
  • Nothing from Sony. Ever. The entire corporation can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned... but that attitude of mine is for reasons that are way beyond the scope of this forum.

Given that... any recommendations for me? Thanks much in advance.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
So I started this thread a few months ago, seeking an eBook reader. I eventually decided to purchase a Samsung Q1-U under the theory that even if it didn't turn out to be a great eBook reader, I was pretty sure I could find some use for a little computer.

Well, the Samsung doesn't make a great eBook reader. It's thick, surprisingly heavy for its size, runs hot, and is not very comfortable to hold in portrait mode. (It's not particularly comfortable to hold in landscape mode either, for that matter.) It's got a measly 1GB of RAM which isn't nearly enough to run the Vista Home Premium it comes preinstalled with... although I've recently blown out the OS to install the new Ubuntu MID edition, I don't think that'll solve the problems with using the device as an eBook reader. In short, I was looking for a good way to carry around a lot of books in a small space and read them in comfort and convenience, and I'm still looking.

To recap my parameters:
  • Money is no object, as long as I'm getting what I pay for.
  • I'm a tech-freak, gadget-lovin' early adopter, so lots of really cool bells and whistles are a big plus.
  • Easy reading of full-page PDFs is virtually a necessity.
  • Nothing from Sony. Ever. The entire corporation can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned... but that attitude of mine is for reasons that are way beyond the scope of this forum.

Given that... any recommendations for me? Thanks much in advance.
If you simply cannot wait, buy yourself an iRex iLiad. If you can wait 'til early '09, get the 9.7" Astak, Netronix (EB-900) or Jinke (V9). All those will have touchscreen and a large 9.7" display quite suitable for full-page PDF files.

However, the latest version of the Jinke V3 does a credible job of handling PDF files (pan and zoom method) on the 6" display. Plus, the built-in reader can open and read non-DRM-laden Microsoft Reader (.lit) ebooks. And it's the ereader that is closest to having a full-blown version of the new OS, Open Inkpot, as well as Madshelf bookshelf and FBReader reading software. (And those three apps will be, shortly, able to run from the SD card instead of needing to be installed over the internal firmware.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm really curious to see the software running on a V9. If it is anything like the software on the V3, we might have a winner here in the over 6 inch category.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Of devices out right now, the iLiad probably comes closest to letting you read full page PDF decently but it's still only an 8" screen. There are a few companies with 9.7" devices in the works like Astak, Netronix and Hanlin. With the margins trimmed off, that gets you pretty close to the original page size.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Looks like your choices are probably Cybook or Kindle right now. Another option is to wait a couple of months for Readius or Astek. I have the Kindle - things I like include: Thousands of available books, including books from this site and feedbooks. Magazine and newspaper subscriptions downloaded directly. The ability use library ebooks from my online public library. Ability to bump up the font a size when I'm tired.

Things I am less than happy with: Button placement on the Kindle, cannot use the whispernet service out of the U.S., and PDF's with symbols/wingdings do not convert easily.

Whichever one you purchase, you will love the freedom of having hundreds of books with you in such a small compact form. Mine goes with me everywhere.
cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm really curious to see the software running on a V9. If it is anything like the software on the V3, we might have a winner here in the over 6 inch category.
I agree. I've been really impressed with how Hanlin continues to add to the V3. I would really love a large device for my work-related reading so I'm looking forward to seeing the V9.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Of devices out right now, the iLiad probably comes closest to letting you read full page PDF decently but it's still only an 8" screen. There are a few companies with 9.7" devices in the works like Astak, Netronix and Hanlin. With the margins trimmed off, that gets you pretty close to the original page size.
An 8" screen works fairly well in landscape mode reading 1/2 page at a time. Even the 9.7" are going to be a bit pressed to read letter size documents in portrait mode. A letter size document really needs a 14" screen.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Voice of Reason
Voice of Reason began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Wow, guys. Thanks very much for the rapid response and the wealth of useful information.

In my original post I said that I wasn't good at waiting, but after buying a device that turned out not to be very useful, maybe I've learned a little patience. It sounds like my best bet might be to wait for the new generation of 9.7" devices and see how they are before making a purchase.

The Kindle looked interesting, but a highly-placed source whispered to me that it might be a good idea to wait for the second generation of those.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
Wow, guys. Thanks very much for the rapid response and the wealth of useful information.

In my original post I said that I wasn't good at waiting, but after buying a device that turned out not to be very useful, maybe I've learned a little patience. It sounds like my best bet might be to wait for the new generation of 9.7" devices and see how they are before making a purchase.

The Kindle looked interesting, but a highly-placed source whispered to me that it might be a good idea to wait for the second generation of those.
I don't see why ... but then I'm so happy with my Kindle that I just bought another.

However, it is my understanding that they do not handle PDF all that well, so you might want to get something else.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Today you have just one option for what you say: Iliad.

Just an apart:
your Q1. If you are able to “downgrade it” to Windows XP Tabletpc for the Q1 then you will have an outstanding little computer.
I myself have an Asus R2H and it does everything their big brothers in the office can do.
It’s no dedicated eBook reader for sure, just the amazing screen of the dedicated eBook readers of today blow any TTF (or similar) laptop/tablet/umpc screen in the market.

Best shopping.

Last edited by DDHarriman; 07-29-2008 at 05:22 AM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
Hi

Sorry I don't have answers to your question. I have a few questions about your q1 though. When you read pdf and web pages, do you need to squint your eyes ? Have you had problems with the screen? I read it somewhere that the screen on samsung q1 gets out line often? I bought an asus 901. Reading on this thing isn't as comfortable as reading on my regular laptop. I need to zoom in to be able to read without squinting. Thanks in advance for any help.
pathfinderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I wouldn't count on "early 2009" for 9.7 models if I were you.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote