Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle for Android 4.4.0.48

* Font choices
* Auto-brightness controls
* Easy access to table of contents
* Tap and hold to select multiple books in library

Font choices! NCX navigator! Those were my top two...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Yes..my kindle app updated today and I was so happy to see font choices.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
I was happy to see that Amazon made some font choices available. Now I hope that someone figures out how to get the Kindle app to accept user supplied fonts. I found where Amazon is storing the TTF fonts on Android, but when I added a font from the collection of fonts that I use with CoolReader the Kindle app did not pick up the font that I added and place it in the selection list.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I'm happy to see font choice, but without being able to choose specific font size it doesn't work too well for me. The jump in size is huge once you get into what most would probably call large font sizes. It goes from 21 lines per page to 14 in one step. I just need a little bigger, not huge. I also noticed the line spacing doesn't change much from narrow to wide. Narrow looks double spaced and wide is still double spaced, but just a tiny bit wider.

What's really funny is that in the Amazon appstore the version is still at 4.3.0.110. I know Amazon is really slow in updating other apps, but I guess at least they are not discriminating against non Amazon apps.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
without being able to choose specific font size it doesn't work too well for me. The jump in size is huge once you get into what most would probably call large font sizes. It goes from 21 lines per page to 14 in one step. I just need a little bigger, not huge.
I thought it was just me. I downloaded it to my Nexus to check it out, and it was unsatisfactory. Better than it was, but not where it should be. I guess I am spoiled by Moon+ Pro!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I thought it was just me. I downloaded it to my Nexus to check it out, and it was unsatisfactory. Better than it was, but not where it should be. I guess I am spoiled by Moon+ Pro!
I use Moon+ Pro as well. And it is easy to be spoiled since it has so many different settings. But Kindle doesn't even have the basics right.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I use Moon+ Pro as well. And it is easy to be spoiled since it has so many different settings. But Kindle doesn't even have the basics right.
Nope, which is amazing, considering how much time and money they put into their whole kindle ecosystem. Thank goodness for Alf!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I guess that all I need is the basics, I love the Kindle app on my nexus.
All I want to do is read and organize my library. I do not take notes, and I find the font size choice to be good for me.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I was happy to see that Amazon made some font choices available. Now I hope that someone figures out how to get the Kindle app to accept user supplied fonts. I found where Amazon is storing the TTF fonts on Android, but when I added a font from the collection of fonts that I use with CoolReader the Kindle app did not pick up the font that I added and place it in the selection list.
Did you reboot the device? Some units do not refresh what they have read once until forced to with a reboot.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Did you reboot the device? Some units do not refresh what they have read once until forced to with a reboot.
OK, I just tried that too, but unfortunately it was also a no go. I think Amazon must have hard coded the font choices into rhe Kindle app. The fonts they have made available are buried down deep in /data which is not normally user accessable unless you are rooted.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #11
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I am happy because I can choose a font that will show italics on my Galaxy Tab 2 now.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I guess that all I need is the basics, I love the Kindle app on my nexus.
All I want to do is read and organize my library. I do not take notes, and I find the font size choice to be good for me.
I read in the Kindle app on my Nexus for several hours yesterday, and it was not bad. (I would have preferred a larger paragraph indent, for one thing).

Then I compared the same book (both straight from the cloud, no modifications) on my Kindle Fire 2013, and the app on the Nexus was superior! The white background was whiter, and the font size was a little smaller than the same settings on the Fire. I'll have to compare it on a 2012 Fire. But the Kindle app on the Fire was disappointing.