Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I'm giving the Kindle Fire HD a try and see how I like it. I don't have a problem reading from LCD vs eInk. I bought the KPW for the 3G.
Make sure to get Screen Dim for reading in the dark. It's only 99 cents and but allows you really darken the screen brightness and contrast to a comfortable level. Here's the trial version here and the full version here.

If you need more help with the app, our own Pruss is the creator and he can be found in our Kindle Fire forum.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #32
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
xendula, which PW is the one in the middle (last picture)? It actually looks pretty good to me, although I've never really seen a PW in person yet so I wouldn't really know what to look for.

from xendula's upload:
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #33
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Xtine, it's one of the two PW replacements I got on Monday (the other one did not even turn on), but tonight the middle one started showing pink and blue bloches all over the screen that I can't capture with my camera. I feel like they are getting darker, too.

The left one is the first one I received.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #34
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry to hear about the replacement developing problems too. I ordered 2 PW's for myself and my mom and am worried we might get defective ones as well. It's going to be hard to request replacements as they'll have to be sent overseas, and we've already disposed of our old Kindles (a Touch for me and a KK for her).

Did you order replacements for the replacements again? I hope you finally get good ones. No matter how good Amazon is about replacements, the process of requesting for them must be so time-consuming, not to mention frustrating.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #35
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I'm fine with my replacement paperwhite (only a few blotches), but I'm assuming we have a year to get a replacement if things get worse?
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #36
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I use on my k4 the verso arc, or the m-edge illunminatoe, depending on how bulky I want things to be.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #37
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the replacement developing problems too. I ordered 2 PW's for myself and my mom and am worried we might get defective ones as well. It's going to be hard to request replacements as they'll have to be sent overseas, and we've already disposed of our old Kindles (a Touch for me and a KK for her).

Did you order replacements for the replacements again? I hope you finally get good ones. No matter how good Amazon is about replacements, the process of requesting for them must be so time-consuming, not to mention frustrating.
I hope your two units will be OK. It must be horrible to get them delivered overseas and have to deal with this!
Yes, I have two replacements coming tomorrow, but I had to talk to no less than 10 different customer service reps who were contradicting each other. I spent hours on the phone. Worst customer service ever.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #38
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
I'm fine with my replacement paperwhite (only a few blotches), but I'm assuming we have a year to get a replacement if things get worse?
I thought 30 days?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #39
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
A year warranty, to replace a defect. 30 days to return.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #40
xtine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I hope your two units will be OK. It must be horrible to get them delivered overseas and have to deal with this!
Yes, I have two replacements coming tomorrow, but I had to talk to no less than 10 different customer service reps who were contradicting each other. I spent hours on the phone. Worst customer service ever.
Thank you, I hope so too. Good luck with your replacements as well, I hope you won't have to talk to Amazon CS anytime soon after this!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #41
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I never thought I'd say this without a loaded gun to my head, but I prefer my Nook Glowlight to my Kindle Paperwhite. My Nook has always had an evenly lit screen and looks good at every light level in any room lighting. My Paperwhite...not so much. In a dark room the blobs of color pretty much go away only at the maximum light setting, which is the exact opposite of what Amazon recommends. I'm still debating sending it back and just waiting to see if next year's Kindle has the blobs worked out.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #42
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Although it probably will be a while before the Kindle Paperwhite will be available in Europe I've decided that when Amazon opens their Dutch store (which should be this month) I'm going to get the new Kindle 4. My KK is working great, however I would like a reader that is smaller and since I'm not using the keyboard that much I've decided to get the K4B.

If Amazon gets their act together and has solved all the problems of the PW I might get it when it's available in Europe but I'll probably wait until the generation.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #43
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Although it probably will be a while before the Kindle Paperwhite will be available in Europe I've decided that when Amazon opens their Dutch store (which should be this month) I'm going to get the new Kindle 4. My KK is working great, however I would like a reader that is smaller and since I'm not using the keyboard that much I've decided to get the K4B.

If Amazon gets their act together and has solved all the problems of the PW I might get it when it's available in Europe but I'll probably wait until the generation.
They may need to hold off on selling it in the EU, since over there, you have 2 years of warranty by law (or was it 3?), with the option to get your money back or a discount on the purchase price after the third replacement during the two years. We are seeing issues appear that were not there originally, so if they sell it in Europe before they fix these issues, they may be in trouble.

Last edited by xendula; 10-10-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #44
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
You can find a good, cheap button cell batteries inside other batteries. E.g, an AA battery contains many smaller batteries. I don't know which type of battery you are using, but chances are, you can find them inside a cheaper type of battery

http://www.howtogeek.com/95390/hack-...tteries-video/
What the. Okay, I had no idea this was a thing, and I'm pretty freaking nerdy. The Kandles take CR2032s, though, and a quick google doesn't turn up much except scrounging them from PC mobos.

Quote:
Xtine, it's one of the two PW replacements I got on Monday (the other one did not even turn on), but tonight the middle one started showing pink and blue bloches all over the screen that I can't capture with my camera.
Xendula, the best way I've found to capture the blobs (heh, quick, someone write an iOS game!) is to crank the PW light all the way up in a well-lighted room (well, that may be a misnomer, for me it's crappy office florescents), and take a picture with my iphone.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #45
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuceman44 View Post
... However on the nook you can completely turn the light off. ...
You can turn the light off on the Paperwhite too -- just not with the slider.

Using a launcher of root shell, the commands to read or change the screen brightness (including completely off) are shown here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2252313

The screen brightness values are 0 to 255, but the slider only goes form 1 to 254. I am not sure if that was by design, or a coding error in the firmware.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote