Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Frank Lowney
frank.lowney
Frank Lowney began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Cannot Download eBooks to iPad 2 from Calibre Server

My recent (3/5/12) experience with iBooks and Calibre server (0.8.41) has been very unsuccessful. I was going to use this functionality in an ePublishing workshop I'll be doing next Monday (3/12/12). My server is at: http://grumpy.gcsu.edu:8080. I'm using an iPad 2 with the latest OS (5.0.1) and latest version of iBooks (2.0). Here's what I am experiencing:
1) Using the address http://grumpy.gcsu.edu:8080/ I get the same web UI as on the desktop. Tapping on Newest, I see a listing of 47 eBooks, however, there is no way to initiate a download and thereby invoke the "Open in iBooks" dialog. There is no auto-redirect to the mobile UI.
2) Using the address http://grumpy.gcsu.edu:8080/mobile, I get the mobile UI with the epub buttons as described. However, when I tap any of those buttons, I get a "404 Not Found" and the error message: "book: 360 does not have format: EPUB." Looking at the same book in Calibre, I confirm that it is, in fact, an EPUB file and that there are no other versions of the book in another format. There is only one.
3) Using the address http://grumpy.gcsu.edu:8080/opds, I am redirected to reader.mac.com/mobile/v1/http%3A%2F%2Fgrumpy.gcsu.edu%3A808052opds. Tapping on Newest, I get a .Mac Reader Error as follows: Server Not Responding. Thus, I am completely shut out from remotely accessing my Calibre server with an iPad.

With Stanza at EOL and the Lexcycle web site unavailable (can't download desktop version for Mac and Win anymore), this is becoming a more important issue. Can anyone else reproduce my experience or, better yet, figure out what I am doing wrong on my end?
Frank Lowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
What do you get when you point a desktop browser at it? I did not check all the books, but it looks like only the TESTFILE has an epub version (using ie8). It looks like most of the others have no books at all.

TEd
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Do you have a (Server) restriction set up that may be blocking access to books with the formats desired
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Frank Lowney
frank.lowney
Frank Lowney began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I believe that I have it fixed. I selected a bunch of ePub files and did a drag/drop on the Calibre window. This apparently creates an alias of the file in Calibre Library (not a copy) so if you delete the originals Calibre gets understandably confused. I should have noticed the difference in the cursor between doing a simple drag/drop (alias) and holding the Option key down during the drag/drop (copy file).

However, OPDS doesn't work anywhere I tried it (Safari, Firefox and Chrome browsers on the desktop and mobileSafari on iPad 2). Looks like Stanza is the only eReader that still understands OPDS.
Frank Lowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lowney View Post
I believe that I have it fixed. I selected a bunch of ePub files and did a drag/drop on the Calibre window. This apparently creates an alias of the file in Calibre Library (not a copy)...
I sometimes add books to calibre with drag & drop and they are created the same way if I use "Add books", at least in WinXP. Maybe it's diferent in Linux/*nix?
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lowney View Post
However, OPDS doesn't work anywhere I tried it (Safari, Firefox and Chrome browsers on the desktop and mobileSafari on iPad 2). Looks like Stanza is the only eReader that still understands OPDS.
I would not expect the OPDS option to work from a browser. OPDS is an XML based standard for use directly from applications.

Under iOS apps that I know support OPDS are Stanza, MegaReader, QuickReader, eBook Search, iReader. There may well be others.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote