Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
How's the reading experience?

I know it can't compare to an e-ink device but do you find it ok for long term reading sessions.
Does it get heavy after a while to hold it?
What about the viewing angle. If you sit at a table and the vox is laying flat,
is the screen still clear since it is being viewed at an angle?
I guess I should go to FS or BB & have a look at a display model (if they have one).
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Definitely can't compare to an e-ink device, but then again, it's not supposed to . It can start to get heavy if you've been reading for a good period of time, but the view angle is fantastic if you wanted to lay it on a table or something. The image quality is fantastic, but I still would not recommend going outside on a clear sunny day with it, but I know others will disagree with that assessment
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
It's not as crisp as eInk on a Pearl screen, but it's not bad. Especially if you want to read anything in color, or PDF's where there's a lot of graphics - most eInk readers still tend to be slow with that, and the Kobos more than the Kindles.

I don't find it heavy, the AFFS screen is better than most LCD's, and it's fine in bright sunlight - but not as good as a Pearl screen when it comes to contrast. But given the Vox's QC, your mileage may vary.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I am finding it hard to read my novels on the Vox. It just seems...weird. The same way I feel when I read on my PC...I don't have much patience for it. It's almost like it's distracting or something...

I think it's spectacular for my mags and kids books! Perfect for more pictures/less text.

The size and weight are perfeect. Exactly what I'd hoped for!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Try switching to night mode where it is white text on a black background and then turn the brightness in the Kobo app down. I like that much better than the black text on white.

I also installed the alkido? reader and I like the way it formats the pages better than the kobo app.

However, I don't see myself doing much reading of novels on this. Got to try out some of the PDF manuals I have, camera etc. (dowloaded the plugin for alkido)

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I love reading on it, I turned the brightness down to a confortable level and increassed the size of the font for my old eyes and I'm beginning to prefer reading on it instead of my WiFi.
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Annibronte
Enthusiast
Annibronte has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3,Kobo Vox
I turned down the brightness a whack, and it's good. Coming off the Kindle, where I could use either side's buttons to turn the page, having to always tap the right hand side is an adjustment.
Annibronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
I like reading on it, like many others i turn down the brightness a bit and adjust the font size to my liking haven't tried it outside yet
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I have the reader set to override the system brightness, with the level set as low as it goes. This provides a pleasant light level when reading during the day (indoors), and at night in bed with only a night light on. At this minimal brightness, I'm finding no eye strain, although I would say my eyes do find eink still gentler on the eyes.

In general, though, I'm pleased that I'm able to read comfortably on the Vox, as I was apprehensive about this aspect.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I find reading on it very frustrating because I don't want to read in landscape mode and
it keeps switching from some reason from portrait to landscape.
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I love reading on the Vox! I find the weight isn't much different than my Nook eReader in its case. I've increased the weight slightly by adding a Bookstyle cover from Chapters but find that it is now much easier to get a good gasp on the Vox.

Since I do most of my reading in bed, I usually have the Kobo settings in night mode with the brightness down as low as possible. This makes it really pleasant to read from. I even read it outdoors today while on my ferry commute to work and it preformed admirably. It gets slightly reflective, which can be annoying in brighter lights (outdoors, or in my office for example).

My one slight frustration is that the Kobo app can't lock in portrait. I'm hoping an update will rectify this. That being said, I do find that I am able to tilt the Vox quite a bit before it actually rotates to landscape mode, so this makes reading in bed a little less annoying.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote