Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #1861
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I finished Vanity Fair, which was delightful. I thought the narrator, John Castle, was excellent; he's of the style that tells the story rather than enacts it. Unfortunately Audible had only one other book read by him And it didn't interest me.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #1862
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I finished the last of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books last month (or, what I believe are currently the last of them. I think there are a couple of new novellas, but I'm waiting for the next "big" book to be released before I read any more side stories.)

Concurrently, I have been listening to J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and am presently in the middle of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I didn't think about claiming them as books I've read, since I started them as a way to help my daughter get into reading the series, but it occurs to me that I have listened to them all, so technically, I *have* been reading them. (It worked as she is now in book 7 on her own, but initially she had a hard time getting through the first chapter of the first book.)

On my own, I'm getting ready to start Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I've heard good things about it, but it will be different for me since it has been several years since I listened to an audiobook that I had not previously read as a "regular" book. I'm taking a break from audiobooks at the moment, catching up on a few podcasts that have been piling up, but next week I will return to listening to books on my drive home from work.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2017, 11:20 PM   #1863
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm currently reading Assassin's Apprentice as well, Katie, but mostly reading in in eBook format. I wasn't thrilled with the narrator, he just seemed to dark and somber for the book, so switched to the eBook. I'm enjoying that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:41 AM   #1864
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm also reading about assassination: three books about Abraham Lincoln's murder.

First was Hanging Mary, by Susan Higginbotham, a fictional account of Mary Surratt's role in John Wilkes Booth's plot. I followed that up with Kate Clifford Larson's nonfiction book Assassin's Accomplice, which also focused on Mary Surratt. And now I've just finished Manhunt, by James L. Swanson, about the hunt for Booth.

This was an interesting trio of books, and I'm glad I read the novel first, as it gave me a better sense of who the people were. It was the most sympathetic to Mary, but tracked fairly well with the facts in Larson's book. Manhunt was odd--it had too many maudlin passages and sometimes overmuch gruesome detail, and at times it seemed jarringly sympathetic to Booth--but fascinating.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #1865
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm currently reading Assassin's Apprentice as well, Katie, but mostly reading in in eBook format. I wasn't thrilled with the narrator, he just seemed to dark and somber for the book, so switched to the eBook. I'm enjoying that.
Oh yes, terrific book! (ebook; don't know about the audio) It caused me to go out and purchase books 2 and 3 immediately. And, years later, to discover another sub-series with the same lead character, so I purchased those too!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #1866
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished Patience and Sarah by Isabel Miller, an audiobook narrated by Janis Ian and Jean Smart. This same-sex historical romance wasn't bad, but it was no standout in my opinion. The drama was too brief, and the interplay between the two characters often made me wonder what they saw in each other. They seemed to spend an awful lot of time on different pages. But it was pleasant enough, so I gave it three stars.

Next up is The Hunt for Vulcan by Thomas Levenson, a science history audiobook narrated by Kevin Pariseau.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-07-2017 at 09:08 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #1867
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just finished Patience and Sarah by Isabel Miller, an audiobook narrated by Janis Ian and Jean Smart. This same sex historical romance wasn't bad, but it was no standout in my opinion. The drama was too brief, and the interplay between the two characters often made me wonder what they saw in each other. They seemed to spend an awful lot of time on different pages. But it was pleasant enough, so I gave it three stars.

Next up is The Hunt for Vulcan by Thomas Levenson, a science history audiobook narrated by Kevin Pariseau.
Interesting. Let us know how you like it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #1868
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm listening to The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins. I decided against the version narrated by Ian Holm, which I believe was a SYNC offering, in favor of a version with multiple narrators: Roger Rees, Rosalyn Landor, John Lee, and Judy Geeson. I figured if I'm going to spend 25 hours listening, it's better to have some variety!
Old 01-20-2017, 06:00 AM   #1869
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm listening to Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan, with 3 narrators, Laura Aikman, John Sackville and Helen Baxendale.

Quote:
Margot Lewis is the agony aunt for The Cambridge Examiner. Her advice column, Dear Amy, gets all kinds of letters - but none like the one she's just received: 'Dear Amy, I don't know where I am. I've been kidnapped and am being held prisoner by a strange man. I'm afraid he'll kill me. Please help me soon, Bethan Avery.'
Early days, but so far so good.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #1870
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I just finished Their Mutual Child (US, 1919)/The Coming of Bill (UK, 1920), which according to Goodreads "is the nearest Wodehouse ever came to a serious novel." Thank goodness he never got nearer! It wasn't terrible; this is Wodehouse, after all, and sometimes the funny came through in spite of himself. But even Frederick Davidson, my favorite Wodehouse narrator, couldn't save it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #1871
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm listening to Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan, with 3 narrators, Laura Aikman, John Sackville and Helen Baxendale.

Early days, but so far so good.
I listened to that one last year. In case you don't know, there's a free author interview with Helen Callaghan at Audible.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #1872
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I listened to that one last year. In case you don't know, there's a free author interview with Helen Callaghan at Audible.
Thanks. I hadn't seen that (don't think it's on the UK Audible site).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #1873
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Speaking of Free Author Interviews, there's a good one of Ben Aaronovitch (author of this month's MobileRead Book Club selection, Rivers of London) up on Audible.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #1874
rawling
rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.rawling can talk to the animals.

Device: tolino vision 2
currently listening to the wise mans fear

--loving all the suggestions in here though! they are good.

Last edited by rawling; 02-20-2017 at 08:22 AM.
rawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #1875
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Speaking of Free Author Interviews, there's a good one of Ben Aaronovitch (author of this month's MobileRead Book Club selection, Rivers of London) up on Audible.
Note, for those who enjoy the Peter Grant series from Ben Aaronovitch, the newest one is The Hanging Tree, and it is narrated by the wonderful Kobna Holdbrook-Smith whose narrations of the Peter Grant series are positively definitive, IMNSHO. This installment will be released at the end of the month in North America.

Currently listening to Blood and Circuses, by Kerry Greenwood and read by Stephanie Daniel. This is #6 in the wonderful Phryne Fisher series. Highly recommended.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations