Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: eBook Conversion?
I only buy eBooks. If I buy a pBook backlist book, I cut-and-convert it. 21 25.61%
I prefer eBooks, but will buy pbooks that don't have an eBook option. 38 46.34%
I buy a pretty even mix of eBooks and pBooks, based on certain criteria (price, availability, etc.). 20 24.39%
I prefer pBooks, and only buy eBooks under certain circumstances. 3 3.66%
I only buy pBooks and I mostly come to Mobile Reads for the thrilling discussions and wonderful polls. 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
eBook Conversion?

How much are you converted to the cult of eBook?

Poll to follow!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Mostly ebooks these days, but I still buy a fair amount of pbooks. The publishers haven't caught up with my tastes yet.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm completely converted. Since I bought my Kobo in May last year, I haven't bought a single DTB. If I can't find it as an ebook, I won't read it
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I don't buy pbooks, period. It doesn't fit with my reading addiction. If I can't get it in eBook format. I do without and wait.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I chose option 3, but I am really a mix between:

I prefer eBooks, but will buy pbooks that don't have an eBook option.

and

I buy a pretty even mix of eBooks and pBooks, based on certain criteria (price, availability, etc.).

99% of my new purchases are e-books, but there are a few series that I have chosen to continue in pbook form. Repurchasing all of them as ebooks would be ridiculously expensive.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I chose option 3, but I am really a mix between:

I prefer eBooks, but will buy pbooks that don't have an eBook option.

and

I buy a pretty even mix of eBooks and pBooks, based on certain criteria (price, availability, etc.).

99% of my new purchases are e-books, but there are a few series that I have chosen to continue in pbook form. Repurchasing all of them as ebooks would be ridiculously expensive.
I agree with this exactly, but I chose option 2 since at the moment I'm not actively buying p-books, but I do buy one on occasion when I see it matches a series I have not converted to e-book. It's not that I'm actively committed to keeping them as p-books but more that it is an impulse buy.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I can't say no to the local used bookstore. Appropriately named the Almost Perfect Bookstore it has almost everything ever. And even if isn't there one day, it might be there the next since they do trade ins everyday (and buy for cash twice a week).

If it wasn't there I would be a 100% ebook convert.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I only BUY ebooks, but I'll go to the library and check out pbooks, or borrow pbooks from friends.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I am trying not to buy pbooks at all. Having over my lifetime amassed a large collection of books, I decided anyway that I needed to get rid of a lot of them fro reasons of space. That process is still incomplete. Getting my Kindle allowed me to replace a lot of my classic books with e-editions and I have been pleasantly surprised by how many new books I want are available in eformat.

But I still have about four years' worth of unread pbooks, so I still read them.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Most of my books are e-books now. But I will buy the p-book if I can't get the e-book. Especially if I need it for my book club.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
How much are you converted to the cult of eBook?

Poll to follow!
I only buy eBooks. I no longer buy pBooks.
I prefer eBooks but sometimes buy used pBooks

Those two options should be added in. But the problem is that the people who already voted cannot take back their votes. So would you mind starting a new thread?

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-13-2011 at 02:21 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I only buy eBooks. I no longer buy pBooks.
I prefer eBooks but sometimes buy used pBooks

Those two options should be added in. But the problem is that the people who already voted cannot take back their votes. So would you mind starting a new thread?
Probably those can be covered in the given top 2 options... I suppose the "cut-and-convert" in #1 and the "when not available" in #2 ascribe motives that might not be accurate to the voter, but otherwise it wouldn't be an UNUTTERABLY SILLY POLL.

I can make a new poll if enough people want it so that it's not considered spam, though. Anyone want to second this motion?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Its a casual poll on an online forum, i say leave it be.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Come to think on it, I prefer eBooks but sometimes buy used pBooks would -- in my opinion -- fall under #3, if you're buying used because it's cheaper or because you like the physical shopping experience.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I rarely purchase any books -- my library has 20K ebooks, a slew of audiobooks, and I have a backlist of their print books to get to, as well as the New Books shelf for additions "finds".
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote