Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
Covers not showing

There is lots of talk about the covers of sideloaded books not showing on the nook color, but I haven't seen any mention of it with the sony. A large number of my covers don't show up, even after I have gone and found the image for them. Am I doing something wrong?
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I'm curious about that too. Some of mine don't show either. Not a big deal since there is a box with the title & author in it. These were purchased from the Sony store too.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Same here, cover shows in Calibre but not when on my PRS 350. I read someone that converted epub to epub and it works, but i have yet to try that.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
This thread might help you out.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahjeanne View Post
There is lots of talk about the covers of sideloaded books not showing on the nook color, but I haven't seen any mention of it with the sony. A large number of my covers don't show up, even after I have gone and found the image for them. Am I doing something wrong?
The NOOKcolor has a bug that prevents sideloaded covers from displaying. The recent 1.1 firmware update fixes this bug in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I'm curious about that too. Some of mine don't show either. Not a big deal since there is a box with the title & author in it. These were purchased from the Sony store too.
For many books, it is common to see the title page rather than a pretty cover image. It happens for books purchased from a variety of different sources and not just Sony. The reason is that not all publishers have included the cover graphic with their ebooks. After you accumulate enough books, you will start to recognize who those publishers are and even see that some of them have standard templates for the title / author info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
This thread might help you out.
Thanks for posting this link, Ripplinger. If you use calibre for your library management, then a lot of good effort has been made recently to make sure your cover graphics get loaded to your Sony properly.

Here is a second option:
If you have a non-DRM book, then you can use calibre to fetch covers in the edit metadata window and then do an EPUB to EPUB conversion to get the covers to display on your ereader.

Here is a third option:
If you don't use calibre for your library management, you can find the cover from a source like goodreads and resize the image to 168px X 217px. (Note: you don't necessarily have to resize the image but I've found it doesn't like file sizes over 400K for this graphic so I typically resize). Then save the image to the appropriate folder on the ereader called: "database/thumbnail/database/media/books". Each book has its own subfolder. You replace the image called mainthumbnail.jpg in this subfolder with your own image. It's important to keep the same name of the image file called mainthumbnail.jpg.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert