Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Caitlin
Caitlin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony P650 Touch edition
Errors

Hi there..first I want to say thnx for this nice program. But since yesterday after i installed the latest update(already un-installed it) i have a problem. When I start Calibre and the connection with my Sony P650 is made i receive an error:
Failed to make connection.
All strings must be XML compatible: Unicode or ASCII, no NULL bytesTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 69, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 311, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 139, in books File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 164, in books File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 164, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\sony_cache.py", line 417, in update
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\sony_cache.py", line 657, in update_text_record File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 634, in lxml.etree._Element.set (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:31548)
File "apihelpers.pxi", line 487, in lxml.etree._setAttributeValue (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:13896)
File "apihelpers.pxi", line 1242, in lxml.etree._utf8 (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:19848) ValueError: All strings must be XML compatible: Unicode or ASCII, no NULL bytes

I know for sure that my Sony is connected cause the Original program that comes with the sony works

And when i try to send a book to the device this message shows up and i am not able to transfer books:

AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 298, in dispatch
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1370, in books_uploaded
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 387, in add_books_to_metadataFile "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 247, in add_books_to_metadata
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

ALso, all the collections(about 12) i have made on the device are gone. the books are still there.
I hope you can help me out with this problem. I made no changes, it just happend.

Thnx in advance for helping me out,
MCait
Caitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that error indicates a damaged media.xml file on your SONY reader. Find and delete it with windows explorer. Then unplug the device, let it be regenrated and re-connect.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Caitlin

Thnx for the quick response.

I did what you suggested,,,,doesn't work. The same errors occur.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

try also finding and deleting the file metadata.calibre on your reader.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Caitlin

I am starting to feel hopeless.... Removed the metadata file. At first i thought it worked. But eventually the same message showed up
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well don't despair, the next release of calibre (to be released tomorrow) will have a workaround specially for you
Old 11-12-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
Caitlin

That's wonderfull. I am away for the weekend but will let the result know when i am back.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Caitlin

Thnx for the update. I installed it, started the pc up again and connected the Sony. First I got the same message including the message that the xml file was missing. I detached it re-connected and after that it worked fine again...Again, many Thnx!!