Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Wink Best Buy now selling the Nook

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Barnes+%...1004&cp=1&lp=1
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
From the BB page:

3.5" E ink® Vizplex™ Electronic Paper Display
Reads like a printed page and is clearly visible even in bright sunlight. Swipe the color touch screen below to browse your library. Adjustable font size for customized reading.

3.5" display??? Is this the pocket version of the ∩ook?
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Even the BN website doesn't define the size for the e-ink screen. All the BN website says is
Quote:
3.5 inch color touchscreen LCD.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I saw a guy setting up the display at BB yesterday. He had a crowd around him. This could be big for BN.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
This could be big for BN.
In general I agree, if for no other reason than it will get it in front of a lot more people.

It could be so much better though, assuming that Best Buy does their usual poor job of marketing it in the stores. When I was researching my Sony I went to several stores and none of the display models worked, and there were no employees that could answer even the most basic of questions on them.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
In general I agree, if for no other reason than it will get it in front of a lot more people.

It could be so much better though, assuming that Best Buy does their usual poor job of marketing it in the stores. When I was researching my Sony I went to several stores and none of the display models worked, and there were no employees that could answer even the most basic of questions on them.
When I went hunting for a ereader I brought along a paper clip to reset the Sony readers.

Another problem that I found was people used keys (or something) to scratch the screens in the stores near me.

Employees know or give a damn??? Not here.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thumbs down What no plain text?

Really the Nook doesnt support plain text format? Really? that would blow Ive converted all most my free books Ive download to plain text or mobi LOL wackie a
Old 04-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why on Earth would you convert anything to plain text? You lose all the formatting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
bob1xxx
Zealot

Wink What really? your kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why on Earth would you convert anything to plain text? You lose all the formatting.
Well a lot of free books I find are in plan text or some crazy Word doc rt file that I convert to plain text that runs great on my Libre Pro and I have ZERO problems running straight text e book files on my Libre were as every third epub format book is all screwed up. And no I dont lose any formatting when I convert thought Word rich text file to plan text and I don't get screwy one inch margins and tiny little fonts like I get with every 3 epub books Ive bought. 1/3 epub rip offs Ive download for money are unreadable and un fixable so I like plain text and lack of plain text support totally takes the nook off the table for me.

Last edited by bob1xxx; 04-25-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #10
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
saw a display full of nooks for sale at best buy today, live and in person.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Yeah, they are running the 1.3 firmware. That web browser is _HOT_. Too bad you can't download files with it. Oh wells, there's always soft root...
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
I was @ BB yesterday - didn't see the ∩ook. There was a Sony Reader display though, maybe I just missed it.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
FWIW, in Toronto, the downtown stores like BB and FS, have rather pleasant displays of Sony e-readers, 300 and 600 series, live that you can play with. The last few times I've checked them, the crowd has been one. Me. Sony did very well at the Book Fair at Queen's Park a couple of summers ago drawing strong crowds in a tent. I suspect Kobo will draw MUCH more interest at Chapters/Indigo when it launches later this week.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote