Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
KenK
KenK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle I, iRex DR1000S
That article seems to be about how online shopping changes what you read. They apply equally to printed books purchased online.

The changes I've noticed after I got my Kindle are:

- I'm more likely to read new books not yet out on paperback, because the Kindle is far easier to handle and carry than a hardcover book.

- My reading habits have broadened, primarily because Kindle allows a free download of a sample. It's simple to impulsively click on "send free sample", then later come across it on my Kindle and start reading.

- If a particular book is unavailable on Kindle, usually I'd read something else that isavailable on Kindle, rather than buy a printed book.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
yes, ebooks changed what I read.
before: nothing
after: 3-4 books a month.

mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Yes, not so much a different genre, but rather from unknown (unknown by me) authors. Or authors that would probably never be available in Dutch stores.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Yup. Without the internet's series of tubes I would've never found stuff like:
Quote:
John H. Holland - Hidden Order: How Adaptation Builds Complexity
John H. Holland - Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems: An Introductory Analysis with Applications to Biology, Control, and Artificial Intelligence
M. Mitchell Waldrop - Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos
Malcolm Gladwell - The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
Neil Johnson - Two's Company, Three is Complexity
Per Bak - How Nature Works: The Science of Self-Organized Criticality
May (the) God(s) bless TTC
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I still like having both print and eBook versions of my favorite books on hand...I definitely re-read the books I have in both formats a lot more.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #21
schroedercl2
Enthusiast
schroedercl2 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Availability and technological limitations also affect what I read on an ebook reader. Things that I generally prefer to read in real life cannot be done well on ebook reader devices yet, and so in order to get use out of my gadget, I resort to reading different material that is more suited to the medium.
That's true...generally I find myself staying away from fiction novels on ebooks and sticking to more non-fiction. I find it's easier for skimming.
schroedercl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #22
schroedercl2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treven View Post
I've found that e-books has opened up books that I wouldn't have purchased if they were paperback formats; that I've been introduced to authors that I wouldn't have read pre-digital reader.
Yeah, I definitely feel that way, too. I love the widgets on sites that say "Customers that bought this book also bought this..." Before ebooks, I had to struggle to find other books I liked.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #23
schroedercl2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Since I bought my first ebook reader, I've read a great deal more fiction in english - and it's only because I can't get ebooks in danish yet that I still read the occasional p-book. I rarely go to the library for fiction anymore. I've become more aware of older books, though I can't say I've read more of them (yet).

For non-fiction, I can't get most of what I want in digital format, so I still buy them as p-books. It hasn't really changed my habits.

Added: Whenever I open a p-book now, I notice the small type - and that can be enough to put me off reading it. Not that I need special large type, but a bit larger than print books usualy are, just seem so much more comfortable. Combine that with a light, easy to hold device compared to a heavy book!
I never thought of the language aspect of things. I wonder how many different languages ebooks are translated into.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #24
schroedercl2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
Due to geographical restrictions (I'm in Aus) I've been ereading more older PD books, first on my netbook, now on the Sony 505.

I've always read alot of fiction and have read most of the old 'classics', now I'm getting into some of the lesser known authors.
I feel like there's so many classics that are on my "to-read" list, I'll never get to the lesser known authors. Then again, not everyone's recommendations are books I'll like, so that should narrow it down a bit.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
schroedercl2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
It changes my reading habits slightly. Some books which I have been meaning to read for a long time and might have sat on my bookshelf are always handy.

I can flick them open in seconds and get stuck in, it's brilliant. Also I think I have started reading a lot more sci-fi because I can put entire series of books (which might have weighed kilograms) on my reader.
Might I ask if your username has to do with the band Fugazi? They're amazing.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Yup. Without the internet's series of tubes I would've never found stuff like:

May (the) God(s) bless TTC
May whatever powers that be richly prosper TTC!

I'm a big fan who has given them much business in the past. I'm currently taking two of their courses: Dante's Divine Comedy and Great Ideas of Philosophy, 2nd edition.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #27
schroedercl2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
My reading habit has not changed as much as what I read. I am now willing to try new authors & categories. Books that I wanted to read but seemed a bit boring sit on my reader as I can easily read a few pages and then jump out.

I love the new world that has opened up for me with the reader.
I do that too! I usually decide very early on whether I can deal with reading a book or not (although I made through an entire book recently because I expected a better ending-Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood).
Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #28
schroedercl2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
E-readers have not changed what I read, but they've definitely changed how much I read, if only because of the convenience. E-readers are much more user friendly than a heavy paperback or hardcover, and easy to carry around.

Nevertheless, the content I read has changed in the past year; not because of the Kindle, but because of this website. Since becoming a MobileRead member, I read much more fiction, mostly due to the influence of other members.

One other factor figures into this equation. Several months ago, my old 13 inch TV finally gave up the ghost, and for the life of me, with all the crap that's currently on TV, I can't justify the expense of buying another; especially since practically anything I do find watch-worthy is already on the web. I bought a season pass to Lie To Me from iTunes, and once a week I go into the living room and watch Smallville with my wife on her TV. That's enough. I do miss the Sunday morning talk shows, however.
Smallville is still on? I thought that was cancelled years ago. I have the opposite problem as you-I love TV and that holds me back from reading more.

So you said you now read more fiction. What did you used to read more of before?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
May whatever powers that be richly prosper TTC!

I'm a big fan who has given them much business in the past. I'm currently taking two of their courses: Dante's Divine Comedy and Great Ideas of Philosophy, 2nd edition.
...and reading the course syllabuses on my Kindle!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #30
schroedercl2
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Well, i did someting i never did before, someday i wanted to read in french, i just went browsing the fnac's website, bumping on some totally unknow to me book. When going to the book, i come in knowing what book i want to buy, and won't go with someting else.
And i've been reading more "new" stufff than ever before. (New as in "i've never read it before".
I've ALWAYS wanted to read in french. I started to read The Little Prince back when I was taking French regularly, but now that I'm out of practice, I keep putting it off more and more.

Tags
ebooks