Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Anyone got Arnold Bennett's "These Twain"?

I've just read Clayhanger by Arnold Bennett and have been enthralled. Anna of the 5 towns was good, but this is in a different league for insight, storytelling, wit and sheer knowledge of human nature. Puts him nearly on a level with Trollope.

Anyway, I discovered it's the first of a four part trilogy (yes, I know!) featuring also Hilda Lessways, These Twain and The Roll Call.

I'm into Hilda Lessways as I write, and have found the Roll Call, but can't seem to find These Twain anywhere. Gutenberg and the other usual free places draw a blank.

So I was wondering whether any of the thousands of members on here had come across it in their travels or could point me to it?
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
it's listed on the internet archive (seems to be a google scan, originally) here http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=these%20twain but it might take a bit of work to clean it up.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much Zelda, don't know why I couldn't find that.
Anyway, I'm not too fussed about how books are presented so I'll be able to use that OK. And just in time as Hilda Lessways is quickly drawing to a close.
Well done.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

glad to help. enjoy.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Zelda, let me add my thanks.

After reading Clayhanger, I decided to postpone reading Hilda Lessways until I was sure I could find These Twain.

That was in 1972, and I've been looking ever since.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

After reading Clayhanger, I decided to postpone reading Hilda Lessways until I was sure I could find These Twain.

1972 !!! well i'm very happy to have pointed both of you in the right direction ! but really you should thank the internet archive, and google. enjoy the book ! (you're making me want to take a look myself now... i've never read anything by bennett but clearly it must be good stuff.)
Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

Mike, that means you never even found our why Hilda did what she did to Edwin! I just had to find that out even if I never got hold of These Twain

But if you're anything like me, you'll have forgotten Clayhanger by this time anyway