Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
slacka
slacka began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Kindle
convert epub to word doc

After searching the forum and trying many suggestions, I have found 2 good methods for converting an epub to a word doc.

htmlz method
  1. Use Calibre to convert epub to htmlz
  2. Unzip htmlz file
  3. Import into Word or LibreOffice
  4. Break links to embed the images

Sigil Method
  1. Unzip the epub file
  2. Use Sigil to merge split files
  3. Make sure "add semantics" -> cover is unchecked or the epub will be broken in Calibre
  4. Use a text editor to change the header to pure HTML and set UTF-8.
  5. Import into Word or LibreOffice
  6. Break links to embed the images

I had the best results with first method. Note that htmlz is just a zipped html file. If you have trouble importing the html file in word/LO, you can try opening it in Google Chrome and doing a "save page as" -> "website, complete ".

Last edited by slacka; 08-19-2013 at 01:00 AM.
slacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There is a third option that usually also works. Merge the text in one file (although not necessary) and copy from the book view into Word. Usually that goes very well.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
slacka
slacka began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
There is a third option that usually also works. Merge the text in one file (although not necessary) and copy from the book view into Word. Usually that goes very well.
Book view on what app? Don't you lose images and formatting with this method?

I need to heavily quote/reference several epub books for a project. Lack of a good search and copy/paste in my ebook reader led me to Calibre. Having all of the documents in Word makes a much simpler, faster workflow that has saved me hours. Calibre is an amazing tool.

Also, I had the order wrong for the Sigil method

Sigil Method
  1. Use Sigil to merge split html files in epub
  2. Make sure "add semantics" -> cover is unchecked or the epub will be broken in Calibre
  3. Unzip the new epub file
  4. Use a text editor to change the header to pure HTML and set UTF-8.
  5. Import into Word or LibreOffice
  6. Break links to embed the images
slacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bookview in Sigil of course.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
hwfischer
hwfischer began at the beginning.

Device: none
This works well, slacka and Toxaris, except that I don't get the images to transfer. (Perhaps it's that I don't understand what "break links to embed the images" means.) No matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to get the images to transfer when I copy and paste to word. There are too many images to transfer one-by-one. Is there a way to transfer text and images together from epub to a word document?

Last edited by hwfischer; 08-21-2014 at 09:37 PM.
hwfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard

If you can wait for a week, then I will release the next version of my add-in. That version has an option to import an ePUB into Word. There are some restrictions, but not anything surprising.
Images will be contained in the resulting Word document.