Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
elmussol
elmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Reader Wifi
KReader not recognizing new content [solved]

Hi All

First post apart from my introduction. I haven't spent enough time here yet to know whether this is really a Kobo question or a Calibre question.

Tech details: Kobo Reader (software version: 1.9.10 (r32284 of 08 Sep 2011)) and Calibre 0.8.51 on Debian Wheezy GNU/Linux.

The problem is simple. If I send files (epub or pdf) to the Kobo using "Send to device", the job is done, but the new content is not recognized as available.

I verified that the relevant files have been copied.

Pointers as to where to look next would be appreciated.

Salud
el Mussol

Last edited by elmussol; 09-13-2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: retitle
elmussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
By verified the files have been copied, I assume you mean you have looked at the file system on the device and checked they are there. Correct?

Does the device doe anything when you disconnect? I don't know you device, but I assume it puts a processing screen up when you disconnect and there are new books (like my Touch). Does this happen?

What about when you connect the next time? Are the files still there?

Is calibre able to read the device to show what is on it?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is the date / time set correctly on the Kobo?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
elmussol
elmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura about

Since my original post I have upgraded Calibre to version 0.8.64 from Debian Sid (unstable) as there were a few bugs in the changelog that may have made a difference and redid the process. The following description should answer davidfor and PeterT's questions, thanks for your replies.

1: Reset to Factory Defaults and attach to computer by USB.

2: Self update to software (to v1.9.10 (r32284 of 08 Sep 2011)) and set date, time and time zone.

3: Go into Manage Library mode. Calibre correctly detects KReader and KOBOeReader volume (internal memory, no SD card inserted) successfully mounts in file manager.

4: Rerun Calibre Welcome Wizard successfully.

5: Send a combination of epub/pdf files to main memory. Jobs "Upload books to device" and "Send metadata to device" successful. New content appears correctly in Calibre device browser, files also show up in file manager.

6: Successfully test open a pdf and an epub from the device memory in external viewers to check file intergrity.

7: Eject device from within Calibre. Quit Calibre.

8: Unplug device. Wait for new content processing. No new content.

9: Reattach device. Files still in file manager but not in Calibre browser.

This what the permissions look like:

Code:
box:/media/KOBOeReader/Baum, L. Frank (Lyman Frank)# ls -al | grep Wonder-rw-r--r--  1 me me 116567 Sep 13 10:44 Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The - L. Frank Baum.epub
el Mussol
Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
With those results:

- Remove all the books that haven't been processed by the device
- Copy one epub over without calibre. Makes sure it isn't one you just removed.
- Disconnect the device and see what happens.

I don't know why I didn't think of this yesterday, but what might be happening is that you have a "bad" epub in there. When the device is disconnected, it processes the books and adds them to it library. But, if the device can't read an epub for some reason, it stops the processing and doesn't add any more books to the library. If this is the problem, you have to go through the epubs one at a time to work out what is wrong.

The above is based on how the Kobo Touch works. I'm pretty sure the other Kobo's will work in a similar way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
elmussol

Thanks for the reply davifor. You were correct, there was an alphabetically first in the list pdf that the Kobo choked on (though it displays correctly in evince, the gimp and all other softwares I have on this box that open pdfs (go figure)).

Interestingly, the cover jpg shows as a separate publication when doing a manual copy rather than a Calibre transfer -- jpg is not on the list of supported formats for this device.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
elmussol

On a side note, I am very new to the world of ebooks, so my knowledge of available utilities is limited. Do you (collectively) know of a good epub syntax and structure checking utility (akin to HTML tidy) for GNU/Linux?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmussol View Post
On a side note, I am very new to the world of ebooks, so my knowledge of available utilities is limited. Do you (collectively) know of a good epub syntax and structure checking utility (akin to HTML tidy) for GNU/Linux?
Try Sigil:

http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/LinuxDistroPackages

Or in Calibre, you can "Explode" the book...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
elmussol

Thanks Mrs_Often. It's not anywhere in the Debian repos which surprises me. I'm looking through the Ubuntu debs now...
Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
David Soulayrol
David Soulayrol doesn't litterDavid Soulayrol doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Yes it is not packaged on Debian yet (even if an ITP is opened on it for quite a long time now). However I have successfully compiled sigil yesterday evening from its master branch. It is straightforward and the documentation on the site is up to date. Compiling the master branch is not recommended though, so if some error shows up you should work on a tagged version.

The produced binary only relies on packaged libraries, so you can simply copy the binary wherever you want if you do not want to pollute your system with a 'make install'. I started to create an ebook with some HTML pages I had and everything seems fine.
David Soulayrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For calibre it is actually suggested NOT to run the version from repositories but rather, to follow the instructions on http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux and install from there.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
elmussol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
For calibre it is actually suggested NOT to run the version from repositories but rather, to follow the instructions on http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux and install from there.
Ack, but this is enjoyment software for me. I already run enough git and compiled versions of webdev stuff and my rule is not to do it for non-work or unless it's broken. I can stand being a few version number points behind (the Sid version is only a month old).

el Mussol
Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
elmussol

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Soulayrol View Post
Yes it is not packaged on Debian yet (even if an ITP is opened on it for quite a long time now).
I assume you're referring to Sigil. I will poke a couple of maintainers I know ;-)

Quote:
However I have successfully compiled sigil yesterday evening from its master branch. It is straightforward and the documentation on the site is up to date. Compiling the master branch is not recommended though, so if some error shows up you should work on a tagged version.

The produced binary only relies on packaged libraries, so you can simply copy the binary wherever you want if you do not want to pollute your system with a 'make install'. I started to create an ebook with some HTML pages I had and everything seems fine.
I'd really rather not, not because I'm not technically-competent enough but for reasons I state in my reply to PeterT above. Do you have good, bad or no experience of the Ubuntu debs?

el Mussol
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
David Soulayrol
David Soulayrol doesn't litterDavid Soulayrol doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmussol View Post
Do you have good, bad or no experience of the Ubuntu debs?
I did not try them. From my point of view, installing alien debs can become as annoying as compiling myself as long as the compilation is easy. However, if you can push for the sigil's ITP, we all debian users would owe you a beer.
David Soulayrol is offline   Reply With Quote