Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
But your beloved Sony Reader Store has it!
No coupon code makes it too expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sh*t My Dad Says is available via Overdrive for FREE.

http://search.overdrive.com/SearchRe...howVideo=False
My opinion: Whatever wins, but as much as I'd like to read it (it's still on the TBR list), I think it's a poor choice for non-fiction when there are so many other more deserving non-fiction books out there. It seems more suited for a month when the Book Club is doing humor, free-for-all, or runner-up.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Speaking what what's appropriate or not, I don't think the The Bible Unearthed is appropriate as this is not the Politics and Religion forum section and there's no real way to discuss the bible without needing to do it in the Politics and Religion forum.

But if that gets to stay, then I'd like to nominate the Bible, The Jewish Bible (old testament) by God.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-22-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
It's a book about how the Hebrew Bible was produced. Yes, I can see the pitfalls of discussing The Bible Unearthed outside of P&R, but if people can take the "Bible as literature" approach that many secular classrooms use, it could work. Despite the dangers, it seems a better choice for a non-fiction month than Sh*t My Dad Says, but that's only my opinion. You know what people say about opinions!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #50
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'll second The Beginning of Infinity.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It's a book about how the Hebrew Bible was produced. Yes, I can see the pitfalls of discussing The Bible Unearthed outside of P&R, but if people can take the "Bible as literature" approach that many secular classrooms use, it could work. Despite the dangers, it seems a better choice for a non-fiction month than Sh*t My Dad Says, but that's only my opinion. You know what people say about opinions!
To be honest, there is a lot less risk involved with Sh*t My Dad Says then the Bible or a book about the Bible.

[i}The Sex Lives of Cannibals[/i] is said to be a humor book according to Inkmesh and I don't think it's any more appropriate/no appropriate then Sh*t My Dad Says.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-22-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That does it for me then. No Kobo, no coupon code, no buy.
The Swerve is available on Overdrive. I assume you'll second it since you can read it for free?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Swerve is available on Overdrive. I assume you'll second it since you can read it for free?
Please show me a link that shows what libraries it is available from. I cannot see it as being available. A search at Overdrive show it as an eBook and an audiobook, but not actually available at any library,
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #54
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'm not a big non-fiction fan, but I'll second The Swerve, sounds good enough to use an Audible credit on.

I counted wrong and thought this was fully nominated but it's not, so I'll third Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!. I was a bit more than halfway through it when I abandoned in a couple of months ago, this will encourage me to finish it.

Last edited by Synamon; 08-22-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #55
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I nominate Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Dugard.

Spoiler:
"It is rare when a historical narrative keeps readers up late into the night" -Publishers Weekly

"A superb tale of adventure, heroism, and suffering. Dugard provides essential background information between generous servings of heart-pounding excitement." -Library Journal

"An action-packed recounting of one of the most famous incidents in the history of exploration." -Kirkus Reviews (starred)

From Amazon:

With the utterance of a single line—“Doctor Livingstone, I presume?”—a remote meeting in the heart of Africa was transformed into one of the most famous encounters in exploration history. But the true story behind Dr. David Livingstone and journalist Henry Morton Stanley is one that has escaped telling. Into Africa is an extraordinarily researched account of a thrilling adventure—defined by alarming foolishness, intense courage, and raw human achievement.

In the mid-1860s, exploration had reached a plateau. The seas and continents had been mapped, the globe circumnavigated. Yet one vexing puzzle remained unsolved: what was the source of the mighty Nile river? Aiming to settle the mystery once and for all, Great Britain called upon its legendary explorer, Dr. David Livingstone, who had spent years in Africa as a missionary. In March 1866, Livingstone steered a massive expedition into the heart of Africa. In his path lay nearly impenetrable, uncharted terrain, hostile cannibals, and deadly predators. Within weeks, the explorer had vanished without a trace. Years passed with no word.

While debate raged in England over whether Livingstone could be found—or rescued—from a place as daunting as Africa, James Gordon Bennett, Jr., the brash American newspaper tycoon, hatched a plan to capitalize on the world’s fascination with the missing legend. He would send a young journalist, Henry Morton Stanley, into Africa to search for Livingstone. A drifter with great ambition, but little success to show for it, Stanley undertook his assignment with gusto, filing reports that would one day captivate readers and dominate the front page of the New York Herald.

Tracing the amazing journeys of Livingstone and Stanley in alternating chapters, author Martin Dugard captures with breathtaking immediacy the perils and challenges these men faced. Woven into the narrative, Dugard tells an equally compelling story of the remarkable transformation that occurred over the course of nine years, as Stanley rose in power and prominence and Livingstone found himself alone and in mortal danger. The first book to draw on modern research and to explore the combination of adventure, politics, and larger-than-life personalities involved, Into Africa is a riveting read.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #56
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Does this link for Swerve work for you guys or is it geo-restricted?

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-S...siA/page1.html
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #57
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
I get

Oops!
Sorry, we're unable to locate the content you're looking for. The content may no longer be available or the link you followed may be broken. The problem has been reported. In the meantime, try a search.
If you continue to receive this notification, please contact our Customer Care department for assistance:
Call 1-866-204-4714 (8am-12am EST)
Email: help@kobo.com (24 hours)
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #58
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank needs a third. It's available at libraries.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post

That link doesn't work because Kobo no longer sell The Swerve.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern need a second and a third.

If you want to read something funny and true, read this.