Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Save cover in metadata?

Hi all,
Fairly new to Calibre but getting along nicely with it so far.
One thing I have noticed is as follows.
I have edited the metadata in many of my books to make sure the cover art is correct etc.
When I browse my library in Calibre it shows the cover image that I have saved to it. However when I open it to read in the ebook viewer or transfer it to my device the cover does not show up.
Anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Regards
Clive
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You haven't done anything "wrong". There is just a difference between the metadata stored internally in the book (that you see in the ebook viewer), versus that stored in the calibre database (that you see with the calibre library UI).

The metadata inside the book file is only updated if you:
(1) Do a conversion (such as a conversion back to itself like ePub -> ePub)
(2) Save to disk/send to device (*)
(3) Use the "Modify ePub" plugin (*)

(*) Covers in a book are only updated in situations 2 & 3 above if calibre is able to "identify" the cover image that exists. It doesn't work for all formats, nor will it work for all books. The only cast-iron guaranteed way to force covers into your books is to do a conversion, or manually edit the book using Tweak ePub/Sigil/other eBook format editor...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

AhHa now that makes sence. Many thanks kiwidude

Update: Just converted them all from epub to epub and bingo all look perfect now. Many many thanks kiwidude

Last edited by cliver; 02-03-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
cliver
Connoisseur

Just a thought. Is there any mileage in asking for an option to save meta data to file?
As a new user I wasn't aware of the difference between the database and the file meta data.
An option on the menu would have made it clear.
As I say, Just a thought.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliver View Post
Just a thought. Is there any mileage in asking for an option to save meta data to file?
As a new user I wasn't aware of the difference between the database and the file meta data.
An option on the menu would have made it clear.
As I say, Just a thought.
It already is (for recovery purposes).
Select a book. Tap 'O'
metadata.OPF is the Calibre metadata for that book
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
cliver
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It already is (for recovery purposes).
Select a book. Tap 'O'
metadata.OPF is the Calibre metadata for that book
I guess I should have said "embed" the mettadata in the book file.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
That option is already available via the Modify ePub plugin. However unless you plan on reading your books using calibre's ebook viewer, there really is not much of a need for it for anyone else - if you use the "proper" channels of send to device/save to disk for reading the book on your device then the book metadata will get updated that way.

I agree it can be a little confusing at times if you are using the calibre ebook viewer. When I first used calibre I couldn't understand why when I renamed the title of a book in calibre the ebook viewer was showing the "old" one, and likewise with covers. It is one of those things that "once you know" the why and how to work around it you forget about it, and if it still really bugs you then either the Modify ePub plugin or doing a same format conversion will fix it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I always convert my books after updating metadata. Then I know where I stand. I have the keep original file tweak set to TRUE so I am always converting from the original.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I always convert my books after updating metadata. Then I know where I stand. I have the keep original file tweak set to TRUE so I am always converting from the original.

Helen
Just to note that the ONLY circumstance in which you need to do a conversion is if you change the cover. No need to convert if all you're doing is editing the metadata - you'll automatically get the changed metadata when you send the book to the device or save it to disk.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
PaulPosition
Enthusiast
PaulPosition began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
So, then, just a question...

What is Calibre doing at "0.33 books per minute" when I update tags, series, whatever..? Saving to database? At 3 books a minute, it has got to be the most big, fat, spaghetti flat text file ever... Or I'm missing something
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPosition View Post
So, then, just a question...

What is Calibre doing at "0.33 books per minute" when I update tags, series, whatever..? Saving to database? At 3 books a minute, it has got to be the most big, fat, spaghetti flat text file ever... Or I'm missing something
Yes!
it also updates the (backup) OPF in the book folder, a few indexes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
PaulPosition
Enthusiast
PaulPosition began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
A'ight, makes sense. Thanks.
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #13
cliver
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
That option is already available via the Modify ePub plugin. However unless you plan on reading your books using calibre's ebook viewer, there really is not much of a need for it for anyone else - if you use the "proper" channels of send to device/save to disk for reading the book on your device then the book metadata will get updated that way.

I agree it can be a little confusing at times if you are using the calibre ebook viewer. When I first used calibre I couldn't understand why when I renamed the title of a book in calibre the ebook viewer was showing the "old" one, and likewise with covers. It is one of those things that "once you know" the why and how to work around it you forget about it, and if it still really bugs you then either the Modify ePub plugin or doing a same format conversion will fix it.
Sorry, can I just see if I have got my mind around this :-P
'normal' meta data is saved with the file when you send to device/save to disc.
Except for cover art and title which a file convert will sort out.
Am I right?
Takes a while to penetrate my thick scull ;-)
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliver View Post
Sorry, can I just see if I have got my mind around this :-P
'normal' meta data is saved with the file when you send to device/save to disc.
Except for cover art and title which a file convert will sort out.
Am I right?
Takes a while to penetrate my thick scull ;-)
You don't need to do a convert if you change the title - only the cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
Baja
Baja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
The metadata inside the book file is only updated if you:
(1) Do a conversion (such as a conversion back to itself like ePub -> ePub)
(2) Save to disk/send to device (*)
(3) Use the "Modify ePub" plugin (*)

(*) Covers in a book are only updated in situations 2 & 3 above if calibre is able to "identify" the cover image that exists. It doesn't work for all formats, nor will it work for all books. The only cast-iron guaranteed way to force covers into your books is to do a conversion, or manually edit the book using Tweak ePub/Sigil/other eBook format editor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You don't need to do a convert if you change the title - only the cover.

Interesting... I just spent the last few hours updating covers in Calibre and was planning to export ("Save to Disk"), delete the library, and then reimport the books. Although now I'm worried those changes will be lost unless I convert first.

All of my books are in mobi format. Is that one of the formats that work?

Or should I do a conversion first?

Last edited by Baja; 02-17-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Baja is offline   Reply With Quote