Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
immsm
I'll never grow up.
immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch edition
Anyone had a messed up book from Kobo?

I wondered if this has happened to anyone else. I am reading The Sisters Brothers which I purchased from Kobo. The other day I read a part and wondered why it mentioned something that I didn't remember reading. Today I got to a part and realized it was referring to the part I had not remembered reading. Of course I hadn't remembered reading it because the order of the chapters seems to be messed up. Unless the author wrote it this way, which I very much doubt, the book seems to be out of order. Has anyone else had this problem? If I redownload it will it possibly "fix" itself? Thanks for any help.
immsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I have had an issue with Ghost Rider by Neil Peart. There are a few chapters that aren't right (strange characters instead of quotes and other punctuation). Now, as I reach the end of chapter 10, the text ends mid-sentence. I have called the help desk and they can't download the book and so have concluded that the file is somehow broken, so it is now at tier 2 as they investigate the file.

Keep in mind; if you don't complain to Kobo (i.e. call the help desk) they won't know about it and so can't fix it!.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Yeah, last month I had a book that was messed up.

I sent Kobo an e-mail and they sent it straight away to level II.

Within 5 days they responded, informing me that the book was indeed bad and that they would deal with the publisher on the issue, and credited my account the amount for the book.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Yeah, last month I had a book that was messed up.

I sent Kobo an e-mail and they sent it straight away to level II.

Within 5 days they responded, informing me that the book was indeed bad and that they would deal with the publisher on the issue, and credited my account the amount for the book.

ltr
I don't really want a credit; I want to read the book!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I had an issue around Christmas time when I purchased a book on Casey Anthony. The book was a DRM-free book but wouldn't open even after taking the proper precautions and using Adobe Digital Editions. The book only contained the cover and a page with one line of text not related to the book.

I contacted Kobo Customer Support and after repeating the same information to be about using Adobe Digital Editions they sent me to level II. Level II came back and confirmed that this book didn't contain the text of the book and that was due to some issue with the publisher not providing it.

They credited my account for the amount of the book and told me they would contact the publish to try and speed along the process of getting the full book uploaded. I was told when the full book was sent to Kobo the file would be updated and I would receive the book.

If you were to contact them they likely would try to get the ordering of the chapters resolved and if they weren't able to do it immediately they may credit you the money from the book. Then when they are able to correct it your book would be updated. So it could turn out to be win-win for you.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I don't really want a credit; I want to read the book!
And they have credited my account. Oh well, better than a kick in the pants.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
TreyAzagoth
TreyAzagoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I have had an issue with Ghost Rider by Neil Peart. There are a few chapters that aren't right (strange characters instead of quotes and other punctuation). Now, as I reach the end of chapter 10, the text ends mid-sentence!
I bought Ghost Rider by Neil Peart as well and I had the exact same issues with my download. I complained to Kobo and they refunded my account, but I am suprised they are still selling this book with problems. Shouldn't they pull the book until the mistakes are fixed? After Chapter 5 the book becomes virtually unreadable.
TreyAzagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Might not be that big an issue as they are available from a variey of sources, but each public domain book I have downloaded has been really poor ocd version. people may complain about no toc on kindle public domain but at least they can be read.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
CJJWB
CJJWB began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Yes!

I had a very similar problem with The Sisters Brothers, which I purchased from Kobo. In my case, when I wished to progress to the next chapter I kept going back to random earlier chapters. I found that as long as I went back to the table of contents at the end of each chapter, I could select the correct chapter and read the book in order.
CJJWB
CJJWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast
Ham Cannon doesn't litterHam Cannon doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony Reader 505, Kobo Touch, iPad 1, iPhone 4
I had a similar problem last year with Reamde by Neal Stephenson. The first chapter and the second chapter were switched, which caused a lot of confusion. There were also a few chapter breaks in the middle of chapters. I reported it, not sure if it's been fixed.
Ham Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote