Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
dollyknot
dollyknot began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Hello from Leicester UK

My Kindle 3 arrived yesterday and I am impressed, especially with the screen, the fact that it retains an image whilst it is switched, off is almost magical.

I'm a Linux user (Mandriva) so am happy with the fact that it runs Linux.

I'm very interested in tethering my laptop to it, I have a caravan and greatly enjoy touring Europe, the only downside being spotty internet access.

I can already tether my laptop to my Nokia n900 which is doable in the UK, Vodafone charge £1 a day for internet access which is wearable.

Problem is, if I do the same thing in Europe Vodafone perform wallet rape on me.

Looking at a map for Kindle access to the 'Net in Europe it extends as far east as Poland.

I would like to chat to anybody that has successfully tethered with the Kindle, I've download the jailbreak software and the tethering software, but have not proceeded further, because I would like to do more research.

Regards,

Peter.

http://dollyknot.com
Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

May I offer you a warm welcome to Mobileread Forums.

Have a browse around, you may have already discovered the Main Forum is laid out in a logical manner.

Everyone’s friendly, if you need any help, do ask around. Members with Green names are the hard-working Moderators…(they don’t bite, just keep the rest of us safe.)

If you want a non-technical chat or three, pop into the Lounge .

Please join in and enjoy your stay .....
Old 07-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Peter and welcome to MobileRead
Old 07-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
Old 07-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company from an old stomping ground, Peter. Happy Kindling and best wishes. Neil
Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't even THINK about trying to tether your Kindle to your PC. This is recklessly irresponsible, and the sort of action that could result in EVERYBODY losing free internet access of the Kindle, not to mention it being a crime that could land you in big trouble.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't even THINK about trying to tether your Kindle to your PC. This is recklessly irresponsible, and the sort of action that could result in EVERYBODY losing free internet access of the Kindle, not to mention it being a crime that could land you in big trouble.
Harry, forgive my ignorance, I have to ask ... "tethering."
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Harry, forgive my ignorance, I have to ask ... "tethering."
Using the Kindle to provide internet access for a PC. In the UK at least, this would be a crime under the 1990 Computer Misuse Act.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
dollyknot

Tethering the Kindle

Using the Kindle to provide internet access for a PC. In the UK at least, this would be a crime under the 1990 Computer Misuse Act.

This is ridiculous, I've looked at 1990 Computer Misuse Act on Wikipedia and nowhere does it mention, using any device that you own, as a modem, to connect to the Internet with another device that you own and have paid for is illegal. Anybody who tried to make the process of tethering illegal would be laughed out of court.

From Amazon's point of view, the fact that the Kindle 3 has a browser from their server's point of view, would not look any different that you were viewing the content through your laptop's browser than through the browser on your kindle.

Amazon has been valued at around $15 billion, why on earth would they be bothered by some small user like me, who has spent a fair amount of money over the years buying stuff from them, passing the info from the Kindle through to my laptop, as long as I don't abuse the service by downloading masses of torrents.

In fact they would make a few more bob, if they sold an app for the Kindle that facilitated tethering, if the individual's who had an account with Amazon, no longer bought ebooks from them the cap could be gradually lowered, which would give it's account holders, an incentive to keep buying stuff from Amazon and keep the cap high.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's theft of service, and a breach of the contract you have entered into with Amazon. Go ahead and try it; Amazon will cut you off and blacklist your Kindle. Remember - they know who you are.

Don't say you haven't been warned.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
dollyknot

How can it be a theft of service, when the Internet is a service they are already giving me, via the browser on the Kindle.

The fact that it is possible to pass the same service along a wire and to a browser that happens to be inside my laptop, means I am stealing exactly what from Amazon?

How is it possible to steal something from someone when they have no means with which to ascertain what has gone missing.

To show the total ludicrousness of your point, imagine me pointing a camera at the screen of my Kindle, connected to my laptop and looking at the image through my laptop instead, are you suggesting this is the action of a criminal?

There again you might just be a control freak, which if so, means it is most likely a total waste of time discussing things with you.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, Peter, I'm not a control freak, but I am a moderator of this site, and I'm afraid that we don't allow discussions of this type at MR. Amazon employ armies of lawyers, and take legal action at the drop of a hat (we know this from experience). Hence any discussion about using services improperly is prohibited.

Just to follow up on this: I notice you said in your original post that you're with Vodafone. Vodafone are actually pretty good when it comes to international data roaming. You get 25MB/day for a flat rate of £2, which is certainly enough for e-mail, etc. They're a heck of a lot better than most networks, who can charge anything up to £6/MB.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
dollyknot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just to follow up on this: I notice you said in your original post that you're with Vodafone. Vodafone are actually pretty good when it comes to international data roaming. You get 25MB/day for a flat rate of £2, which is certainly enough for e-mail, etc. They're a heck of a lot better than most networks, who can charge anything up to £6/MB.
The spirit of the common market meant no tariffs like import or export duties, there was a case recently where a pub landlady was aiming her satellite dish at a service from Greece and her regulars were watching football at a much fairer rate than Sky was charging, Sky took her to court and lost.

The spirit of the common market means, Vodafone should not be able to charge me a different rate, when I am in another EC country.

In the UK, Vodafone charge me a flat fee of £1 for 24 hours, for using my phone on the internet, they are breaking EC laws by not using the same charging structure in all EC countries.

25 MB a day in my experience lasts hardly no time at all, once I start listening to radio 4 on the 'Net and uploading photos to my travel blog.

Most people who run businesses, wouldn't know the golden rule, from a piece of dog dirt on their shoe.

The only rule that the captains of industry seem to know in my experience, is to take as much as possible whilst giving as little as possible, because they only love money.

Last edited by dollyknot; 07-03-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
dollyknot

*No Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, Disassembly, or Circumvention.* You may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Kindle or the Software, whether in whole or in part, create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Kindle or Software or any mechanisms operatively linked to the Software, for example, by augmenting or substituting any digital rights management functionality of the Kindle or Software.
---End Quote---
.. and that Amazon are perfectly within their rights to cut you off if you break your side of the agreement:

I'm given to understand the operating system that the Kindle uses is Linux.

Any one who uses Linux is bound by the GNU licence and the relevant part of the GNU license follows

Free software

The GNU project uses software that is free for users to copy, edit, and distribute. It is free in the sense that users can change the software to fit individual needs. The way programmers obtain the free software depends on where they get it. The software could be provided to the programmer from friends or over the internet, or the company a programmer works for may purchase the software. Proceeds from purchases support the GNU project. GNU has four kinds of freedom for the software:

* Freedom to run the program
* Freedom to access the code
* Freedom to redistribute the program to anyone
* Freedom to improve the software[9]

I suggest that from your quote of the Kindle EULA that it is contravention of the Linux GNU.

Unless I get some kind of explanation as to why I can't use the software on the Kindle, how I see fit, as the GNU license says I should be able to, I shall be taking this further and be warned I know my way around the 'Net.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You may wish to continue this discussion on the Kindle developers' forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150

You'll find lots of people there who can tell you what you can or can't do with the Kindle. But please do bear in mind our policy of not discussing tethering.

Thanks.
Closed Thread