Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Return of page turn buttons

I note that the Kindle Oasis and two new higher end Kobo models have returned to having page turn buttons for book reading, HURRAH! I have numerous older Kindles and Sony ebook readers with buttons. The Kindles with buttons or sensors are all pre touchscreen except for the Voyage and Oasis 2 and 3. I also have the Kobo Forma on order.

I have always preferred buttons over the touch screen as it keeps the screen cleaner and in a truly dry low humidity climate such as mine (Reno,NV) the capacitive touchscreen sometimes lacks touch sensitivity.

How do YOU feel about this change?
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I note that the Kindle Oasis and two new higher end Kobo models have returned to having page turn buttons for book reading, HURRAH! I have numerous older Kindles and Sony ebook readers with buttons. The Kindles with buttons or sensors are all pre touchscreen except for the Voyage and Oasis 2 and 3. I also have the Kobo Forma on order.

I have always preferred buttons over the touch screen as it keeps the screen cleaner and in a truly dry low humidity climate such as mine (Reno,NV) the capacitive touchscreen sometimes lacks touch sensitivity.

I preferred the page turn button as well. I might consider the Oasis, especially the 32 GB version. But, I think I will wait for it's availability before deciding.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I use a nook glowlight 3 and it has buttons. I have been able to set the buttons up with koreader. The buttons were not a priority fof me, but now I have them I do like to use them. I have also set the whole screen except the center to be a next page button, so I have multiple options. I need never reach and it works with both hands.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The buttons are a must-have for me. I cannot do without them. All the ereaders I've purchased have had buttons, with one exception (the Kindle Basic 2014) and I didn't like that experience.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I'm fine with the lack of page buttons. As long as I can turn pages lightning fast, I'll stay faithful to Kindles, and ignore Kobo with all its bells and whistles, yet with a sluggish page turn experience.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I like page turn buttons but I'm not sure I like the "one-hand" design of the Oasis, Libra and Forma (or Tolino Epos 2 and Vision 5). For a couple reasons... I usually hold eReaders with both hands (like a book) and the these eReaders don't look like that would be too practical. Also, the lighting along the side (instead of along the bottom or top) seems to be an issue, since you have the gradient lighting along the edge, affecting every line. (I'm only going by what I'm reading and guessing, actual experience may be different.)

At some point I'll probably pick up a Glowlight 3 as it has buttons and a traditional design. And I like my Voyage's "buttons" a lot.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
If I’m reading while sitting down, I don’t care if it has page turn buttons or not, but when I’m reading in bed I’m using one hand and I love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Must have page turn buttons. That's why I'm still using my Sonys. Touch screens and I do not get along and moving your hand or finger to turn a page is ridiculous. I want to rest my thumb on the button and just press when needed.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I preferred the page turn button as well. I might consider the Oasis, especially the 32 GB version. But, I think I will wait for it's availability before deciding.
Bought my Oasis 32 GB version 3 during the Amazon Black Friday week sale for about $80 off the standard price. I now have both 7" screen Oasis models.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:28 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't necessarily want button(s) on the reader, so I would rather a reader didn't have them. I would like a remote to turn the page.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:11 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
one of the reasons I HATE paperwhite and kindle basic. I love my page buttons on my nook, libra, oasis
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #12
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

I have ALL of the Kindle models that include page turn buttons from the K2 through the K4/K5 and Kindle DX pre touch screen as well as the Kindle Voyage and both 7" Oasis models. Also most of the Sony readers including the PRS-350, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-900, PRS-950 and all of the T series. I even have lighted covers that run off the reader battery for the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4/5 and Sony T3. Amazing what you can find on ebay with some looking and patience.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:20 AM   #13
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Huge fan of page turn buttons
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:27 AM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I haven't upgraded from my still working kindle keyboard to an oasis because I love having forward and back buttons on both sides. Makes juggling kindle and packages while holding onto bus rails and the like easy. I really don't care for touch screens for anything other than a keyboard actually. I keep tapping or swiping or something when I didn't mean to and having to go back to where I was. Or selecting text when I was trying to go to the next page. Very frustrating and annoying. Never happens with buttons. People say "the buttons will wear out". Nonsense. My battery will go out first and my KK is still going just fine since they first came out. What I would like ideally is forward/back on each side, Home, Menu, Enter and Back on the bottom top below the text, and the touch screen inactive unless you activate it for something possibly by holding a key down or using the menu. No more unwanted selections or actions.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #15
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't necessarily want button(s) on the reader, so I would rather a reader didn't have them. I would like a remote to turn the page.
A remote??? That would be extremely awkward. E-reader in one hand and remote in the other ..... 😂😂😂
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote