Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #31
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
car boot sales, used paperback books, wear a disguise... get some fake covers for reading on public transport

it sill amazes me that people come here, on the internet, to speculate as to whether being online is safe
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #32
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
car boot sales, used paperback books, wear a disguise... get some fake covers for reading on public transport

it sill amazes me that people come here, on the internet, to speculate as to whether being online is safe
As long as you're not a target for somebody it should be as safe as offline presence. But if you're a target of somebody then you're screwed.

Fun fact: internet opens new ways to be selected as a target just because the attacker isn't restricted based on location. So most of us, in spite of not being targets of serious corporations, can become targets of some random thief just because we're easier to track than others.

Here's an essay of privacy protection for online/offline life of S.XXI -> https://medium.com/@lopp/a-modest-pr...l-5b47631d7f4c.

Yeah, the whole "privacy thing" has nothing to do with ebooks, but there's some directives than can be applied here too, like "don't put all the eggs on the same basket"
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you buy an eBook, your details get out there that you bought this eBook. Plain and simple. Don't buy any eBook ever.

I still think it's paranoia to want to read eBooks and yet remain private. That cannot happen if you want anything that's a library borrow or a purchase.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #34
interestedUser19
interestedUser19 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Man, i just stumbled upon this forum (hi there) because i want something similiar as the OP. I think it's sad that this thread went into a discussion full of accusations ("dreaded snowflake generation", "paranoid ereaders" and whatever) instead of more productive discussion about how to use an eReader more privately or all the alternatives out there.

I am specifically interested in the Kindle Oasis 3. I don't really need Internet access, but the dictionaries for translation etc. Could i just buy a KOA3, set it up with a fake account (do i need to enter Credit Card Details or can i at least use a gift card for account creation) and then go into Airplane Mode?
interestedUser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are two kinds of information being talked about here and there should be a difference in how we treat things. For example: Amazon collects info on every time to help someone with a question. They know who has bought a product. They use this to recommend future products and ask you about reviews. They may even use this to give you a free ebook when you buy the paper back. These are internal uses. Nearly all companies keep this kind of data. Every time you use a credit card someone keeps track to send you a bill for example. The second kind of data is collected and then sold, this is the google model, and how they make their money. The use your information to devlop statistics so they use data to establish the groups you are in and then sell the statistics.

There is also a third type. The company wanting to know about you when you are close. For example you get an advertisement based on your proximity to their store. These collect data from the company and apply it to the individual but the data about the individual is computed locally on your phone.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #36
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedUser19 View Post
I am specifically interested in the Kindle Oasis 3. I don't really need Internet access, but the dictionaries for translation etc. Could i just buy a KOA3, set it up with a fake account (do i need to enter Credit Card Details or can i at least use a gift card for account creation) and then go into Airplane Mode?
As far as I'm aware, you should be able to do what you're describing without a credit card.

Haven't tried it myself, though. The Kindles that I use for purchased books and Kindle Unlimited are registered to my normal Amazon account with Amazon Prime Visa CC.

My other Kindles are just unregistered (mostly so collections on those don't clutter up my Kindle Cloud Collections).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Man, i just stumbled upon this forum (hi there) because i want something similiar as the OP. I think it's sad that this thread went into a discussion full of accusations ("dreaded snowflake generation", "paranoid ereaders" and whatever) instead of more productive discussion about how to use an eReader more privately or all the alternatives out there.

Yes you could buy a Kobo and register an account with a different email address then your primary email address. Use that one just for Kobo related email. I don't know what would happen if your account had an invalid email address attached to it.

But the thing is, if you buy eBooks or get them from the library using Overdrive, RBDigital, or Freading, data will be collected. No matter where you purchase or borrow eBooks, data will be collected.

But, with a Kobo, once you register, you don't have to do anything with that account. The account could even be fake information. Once registered, you can keep the WiFi off as you can side load firmware to install it.

If you live in the US, (I think) you can buy Kobo gift cards and use that with the account you created to buy eBooks.

Calibre can side load your eBooks so you don't have to turn on WiFi to sync. Also, using the DeDRM plugin (do a web search for Apprentice Alf) with Calibre, you can remove the DRM from your purchased eBooks.

But if you do want to borrow library eBooks you do have to setup your Kobo to handle DRM.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:23 AM   #38
interestedUser19
interestedUser19 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the thing is, if you buy eBooks or get them from the library using Overdrive, RBDigital, or Freading, data will be collected. No matter where you purchase or borrow eBooks, data will be collected.
Let's just say i want to reduce the amount of data that is getting collected to a minimum I don't want to give more data than necessary.
interestedUser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:32 AM   #39
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

there's no way to sign up for overdrive library books without real ID, to enroll. All the options I looked at require proof of actual address - like recent bills.
other stuff you can buy with gift cards, and you can buy virtual credit cards if you don't mind paying the mark up.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:41 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Let's just say i want to reduce the amount of data that is getting collected to a minimum I don't want to give more data than necessary.
But to sign up to your local library, you do have to give your name and address and a valid email address. So when you borrow an eBook from you library, they will have your information. There's no way around it.

If buying eBooks from a store, you could give a fake name and fake address. But you do have to give a valid email address. As has been said, you could pay with gift cards depending on the store. But I am not sure what information you have to give for a virtual credit card.

So in any case, you may or may not have to give information to get eBooks.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #41
stumped
Wizard

you probably use a real credit card to buy a virtual one. As I understand it they are mostly used to get around geo restrictions. e.g. I in the uk could get a virtual credit card that appears to have been issued in USA, then use that to sign up for Hulu. its not something I would bother to do though
Old 01-15-2020, 06:01 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
you probably use a real credit card to buy a virtual one. As I understand it they are mostly used to get around geo restrictions. e.g. I in the uk could get a virtual credit card that appears to have been issued in USA, then use that to sign up for Hulu. its not something I would bother to do though
But you would also need a SmartDNS to make it look like you are in the US to use Hulu.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:16 AM   #43
stumped
Wizard

Yes, i had a smart DNS subscription at the time, but I decided if HULU want my money they need to remove all the silly payment restrictions, else I'd use other services instead. There's a limit to how much time and effort I am prepared to devote to trying to pay them. & most of Hulu is available on Uk Sky tv / now TV
same for HBO, though I did manage to get a free trial by giving my Uk paypal info and using my smart DNS.
when I last use the FLP library, they were good with a UK visa card - no silliness
Old 01-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #44
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Gift card worked for one of my Kindles. Real email address created especially for that Amazon account. Just make sure Gift card is purchased on Amazon US marketplace, assuming that's the default Amazon uses for a new account (it was for me and I was in Europe when I did this experiment).

I have 2 kinds of Kindle, newest is a PW3. I've used 5 other models inc a PW4. I've got 3 models of Kobo and think overall it's better and more private. I read books bought on my "fake" USA Amazon account by Gift voucher and my European account on PW3 on my Kobo Libra by using Calibre and plugins. Always "Download via PC/USB" and pick a real kindle as target.
Make backups.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-15-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #45
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If you purchase the Oasis 3 new, from Amazon, you'll need a valid account. You could buy a used one from ebay, but I doubt that there would be many available, and that those that are available have serious faults - the Oasis 3 hasn't been round long enough for someone to just get bored with it.
Purchasing ereaders from real shops isn't really an option.

DaleDe - It amuses me that google collects information about me. What if I was doing background research for a gruesome crime thriller, and had lots of searches such as: products containing arsenic in the twenty first century; or, the best way to dismember a body; or, how do doctors determing the time of death; or do people bleed after death etc etc Would the police be at the door suspecting me of planning a real murder? Would these searches affect chances of getting a job with the police force, or as a childminder?

The mind boggles!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap ereader, help for a newbie, open source, privacy.