Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 01:34 AM   #1
Celialiu
Celialiu began at the beginning.

Device: none
fail to import isbns to Calibre and get the metadata

I have a large number of children's books and their isbns, and i need to import these isbns to the app Calibre then I can get the publication date, publisher, weights, cover image, reading age range of every book i imported and other information. But i tried several times to add books to Calibre by importing ISBNs and all failed, and i can't download the metadata and the cover of my books?How should i do? Can anybody show me the specific reasons and steps to do it?
Celialiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:01 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How did you try to import this data? Calibre will need at least a title and an author to go with the ISBN. Once you have that, when you try to download the metadata, most of the metadata source plugins will use the ISBN to find the book. If the ISBN is wrong, or incorrectly formatted, it might prevent the download. And of course, you need to use a source that has the ISBN on record.

For specific reasons it failed, the metadata download logs what it did. You would need to look at this, or post it for us to look at and work out why it didn't work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:27 AM   #3
Celialiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How did you try to import this data? Calibre will need at least a title and an author to go with the ISBN. Once you have that, when you try to download the metadata, most of the metadata source plugins will use the ISBN to find the book. If the ISBN is wrong, or incorrectly formatted, it might prevent the download. And of course, you need to use a source that has the ISBN on record.

For specific reasons it failed, the metadata download logs what it did. You would need to look at this, or post it for us to look at and work out why it didn't work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	197
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	176292

Name:	2.PNG
Views:	135
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	176293
can you the screenshots of my steps?
Old 01-10-2020, 02:33 AM   #4
Celialiu

Quote:

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	148
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	176294

Name:	2.PNG
Views:	115
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	176295

Name:	3.PNG
Views:	179
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	176296

Here is the screenshots of my steps to import isbns. Calibre has the choice of adding from isbns, so i did this.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:50 AM   #5
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celialiu View Post
I have a large number of children's books and their isbns, and i need to import these isbns to the app Calibre then I can get the publication date, publisher, weights, cover image, reading age range of every book i imported and other information. But i tried several times to add books to Calibre by importing ISBNs and all failed, and i can't download the metadata and the cover of my books?How should i do? Can anybody show me the specific reasons and steps to do it?
First, you need to configure your metadata sources (Preferences > Metadata Download). For your first ISBN (9788558890243), this sources provided matches: Goodreads, Google, Amazon, Skoob Books.

9788558890243 > Opal Plumstead - Jacqueline Wilson & Nick Sharratt
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:52 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Create a custom column to display the ISBN:

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-10 204335.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	176304

And then post a screen shot of the book list with that column.

Maybe the Add from ISBN didn't work.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:59 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celialiu View Post
Attachment 176296

Here is the screenshots of my steps to import isbns. Calibre has the choice of adding from isbns, so i did this.
In the last screen shot, one of those buttons is to display the details of the attempt to download the metadata. Clicking it will show the log of what was done. And any errors. One of the other buttons is to copy the log into the clipboard. Then you can post that for us.

But, trying just the first on in the list, I was able to get a match. The matches came from Google and Goodreads. Google is one of the built-in plugins. Goodreads is one you need to install.

Which gets us to @thiago.eec's post. You need to install or configure the metadata source plugins to do the searches. And look at the results in the log to see more about what happened.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My take.
ISBN-10 and EAN (978...) has a language part of the code (group)
in my case:
0- at the start says English title
I can't look for metadata at a site that does not support English books.
your book seems to have a language grouping of 978-8 (dash used for clarity only) The sites you configure mus support those (the Amazon plugin has a finer configuration as to which countries store to use)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My bad, some of those have English ISBN's

But the title is not ASCII (and to my untrained eye, the same. which can not be for a lookup) So, I think you created a 'perfect storm' by translating the title but using English ISBN
Old 01-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

But the title is not ASCII (and to my untrained eye, the same. which can not be for a lookup) So, I think you created a 'perfect storm' by translating the title but using English ISBN
Actually, both title and author is set by calibre as unknown to all the books before downloading the correspondent metadata. So, that's just unknown in his language (japanese? Chinese:
未知). Those are not the real titles yet.

Last edited by thiago.eec; 01-10-2020 at 12:43 PM.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Actually, both title and author is set by calibre as unknown to all the books before downloading the correspondent metadata. So, that's just unknown in his language (japanese? Chinese:
未知). Those are not the real titles yet.
When you add a book using an ISBN the dialogue presented includes this:

Quote:
Enter a list of ISBNs in the box to the left, one per line.

calibre will automatically create entries for books based on the ISBN and download metadata and covers for them.

<snip>
That implies you don't need a title or author, yet the download always fails. using the default download settings - (Amazon, Google and Open Books).

I got this when I searched Amazon for 9788558890243 ==>> A Impossível Faca da Memória: Amazon.co.uk: Laurie Halse Anderson: 9788558890243: Books

BTW it failed on versions 4.8, 2.85 and 1.48 - hard to believe it has never worked.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-10-2020 at 07:01 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
When you add a book using an ISBN the dialogue presented includes this:

That implies you don't need a title or author, yet the download always fails. using the default download settings - (Amazon, Google and Open Books).

I got this when I searched Amazon for 9788558890243 ==>> A Impossível Faca da Memória: Amazon.co.uk: Laurie Halse Anderson: 9788558890243: Books

BTW it failed on versions 4.8, 2.85 and 1.48 - hard to believe it has never worked.

BR
It worked back in 2010 when I added entries for my entire paper library.
Since then, I have had little reason to try it as all my ebooks come with basic metadata.
But I can't believe more people have not run into this issue.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #13
Celialiu

Quote:
In the last screen shot, one of those buttons is to display the details of the attempt to download the metadata. Clicking it will show the log of what was done. And any errors. One of the other buttons is to copy the log into the clipboard. Then you can post that for us.

But, trying just the first on in the list, I was able to get a match. The matches came from Google and Goodreads. Google is one of the built-in plugins. Goodreads is one you need to install.

Which gets us to @thiago.eec's post. You need to install or configure the metadata source plugins to do the searches. And look at the results in the log to see more about what happened.
calibre, version 4.8.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata or cover for the selected book.

未知 (Failed metadata) (Failed cover)

Name:	5.PNG
Views:	121
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	176317
Old 01-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #14
Celialiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

all those books are english books and have english isbns

Name:	5.PNG
Views:	81
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	176318
Old 01-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #15
Celialiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Create a custom column to display the ISBN:

Attachment 176304

And then post a screen shot of the book list with that column.

Maybe the Add from ISBN didn't work.

BR
How to create a custom column? Is the screenshot you posted from calibre?
and I want to know if i managed to import my books by isbns, can i get the mass downloads of the cover images, weights, price, and the reading age range of every book in my library? The 4 kinds of statistics are important for me, and i have tried in goodreads and librarything and libib, but they all cant offer mass downloads of cover images and dont have information about price and age range. If cant, then i would not waste my time on Calibre.