Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Questions for Aura One owners

I have the One since the launch and I noticed that the battery is starting to fail to keep its charge. I use the Kobo once a day, around 20 minutes before sleeping. As far as I remember, before I had to charge it once in about one month but now I have to charge it once a week (or ten days). I powered it down every day so it isn't an issue with the wake up cover or something (like during the first 2-3 months after the launch).

So, if there's still Aura one owners here, how's the battery on your side ? Does the ambiant lightning works ? (I have to hit the parameters for the light changes color every time..). And what about the official cover ? Mine is starting to fail as well, borders are failing (not sure what's the word in English, like the rubber isn't stick to the cover anymore).

Maybe I'm looking for reasons to purchase a new model but that's the first time that I would go farther than the device life.

Thanks!
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
I have the One since the launch and I noticed that the battery is starting to fail to keep its charge. I use the Kobo once a day, around 20 minutes before sleeping. As far as I remember, before I had to charge it once in about one month but now I have to charge it once a week (or ten days). I powered it down every day so it isn't an issue with the wake up cover or something (like during the first 2-3 months after the launch).

So, if there's still Aura one owners here, how's the battery on your side ? Does the ambiant lightning works ? (I have to hit the parameters for the light changes color every time..). And what about the official cover ? Mine is starting to fail as well, borders are failing (not sure what's the word in English, like the rubber isn't stick to the cover anymore).

Maybe I'm looking for reasons to purchase a new model but that's the first time that I would go farther than the device life.

Thanks!
You problem with the battery is one of your own making. You should not have been turning off your KA1 every day. That's what killed your battery. You should only be powering down when you know you won't be reading for some time. The life of the battery have more life to it if you had just put it to sleep when you finished reading instead of powering down.

You have two choices. You can find a battery and open the KA1 to replace the battery or you can buy a new Kobo. But whichever you do, don't power it down everyday. That's what killed your battery.

I have an H2O that's 5 years and 1 month old and the battery is still doing pretty well. I use it almost every day and I just close the sleep cover and let it sleep when it's not being used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

The funny thing is I'm powered it down because the sleep cover was draining the battery off. I guess they fixed that somehow along the way with firmwares updates. But I purchased the official cover to be able to put it on sleep only to have to do the opposite in the end. Opening your Kobo to only notice that the battery drained down because the device was opening itself non-stop all day long is quite maddening.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Mercador
I'm not a number!

That was the original issue:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=277960

Because of that, I got used to powered it down every time and it defeated the purpose of buying the official sleep case.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Be sure your wifi is turned off and see if that helps.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:25 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The funny thing is I'm powered it down because the sleep cover was draining the battery off. I guess they fixed that somehow along the way with firmwares updates. But I purchased the official cover to be able to put it on sleep only to have to do the opposite in the end. Opening your Kobo to only notice that the battery drained down because the device was opening itself non-stop all day long is quite maddening.
Don't mind Jon too much, he's only half right here, your options are replacing the battery or getting a new device.

It's fully possible you got a bad battery from the outset in which case nothing you could have done short of those two options (or for a short time contacting Kobo for a replacement) would solve the issue.

In any case, I personally prefer the Forma over the KA1. The increased screen size, the buttons, the overall shape redesign all add up to a superior device for my tastes.

People have also found they like the Libra for similar reasons.

Replacing the battery is not particularly hard, but it's certainly harder than replacing the device outright.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I have no idea why @JSWolf thinks that you caused the battery issue with the way you used the device. Use it for 20 minutes a day and power-off between will probably mean the battery lasts longer. Having the device sleep between reading sessions is only going to help if you have a lot of sessions over a short time. If there was only 15 minutes between reading sessions, shutting down and powering up each time would probably use more power than using sleep. But, with 24 hours between, the sleep will probably use more power.

There have been fixes in the firmware for various sleep issues. It is probably safe to use the cover now. But, unless your reading pattern changes, it probably isn't worth changing your habit.

The real issue for the battery is probably due to age. The battery might be over three years old, depending on when you bought it. Li-Ion batteries do have a life and they start losing capacity as soon as they are made. It is common for their capacity to have halved after two years. It does depend on how they have been treated. The more use they have or the warmer the environment, the quicker they lose capacity.

For your other questions:

The automatic lighting worked the last time I use it. But, I usually have it on manual and change the light level frequently. From memory, after the device is woken, it can take a minute or so to adjust, and it does it gradually rather than in one jump. If I remember, I'll try it tonight.

We used an official sleep cover for the first two years (I had the device for a few months, then it went to my wife until I got the Forma and she saw it, then it came back). It was getting a bit damaged around the edges at the end. I bought a couple of cheap covers to replace it. They are OK, but, I don't think they will last as long as the official cover.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:38 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I love reading on my Kobo Aura One.

The battery is still great and I have zero problems with it.

The case is a piece of crap in terms of holding up. I'll post a photo later on and you will see what I mean.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My Aura One is my workhorse reader but I'll be honest; the battery life was never all that good compared to my other readers (which may reflect in part long reading sessions, but not entirely). However, I don't think it's any worse now than when I first got it and since it's a stay-at-home reader anyway, it's never bothered me to put it on the charger as necessary.

I've got an aftermarket sleep cover which is slightly bunged up but still fine and I never had issues with the sleep function. OEM covers tend to be far too rich for my blood.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have an older Aura One as well and have recently noticed both your problems. The battery is lasting only a week or week and a half, though I have been reading quite a bit lately and attributed the problem to that. Still - that's quite a reduction from the month I had been getting before. I have a working sleep cover, virtually never turn the unit off, and have the wifi off.

As for the light, to get the auto natural light to work I either have to turn auto off and then back on again or put the unit to sleep and wake it again.

It seems to me that both these problems started soon after updating to firmware 4.19.14123. Could this be the issue? What is your firmware version?
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm running 4.19.14123 and I've not noticed any difference in battery then when I was using 4.9.x or 4.18.x.

I bought this cover and it's held up really well. Plus, sleep function works really well and I've never known it to open when it shouldn't. I bought it n September 13, 2016.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HETZITW...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	81m3ucQPF1L._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	176276
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Be sure your wifi is turned off and see if that helps.
Yeah I do. However, I wonder if the automatic lightning and color are energy extensive, I don't know how many times a minute it could check for change.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The real issue for the battery is probably due to age. The battery might be over three years old, depending on when you bought it. Li-Ion batteries do have a life and they start losing capacity as soon as they are made. It is common for their capacity to have halved after two years. It does depend on how they have been treated. The more use they have or the warmer the environment, the quicker they lose capacity.
I have it since launch day. That's why I was wondering if other owners noticed that battery change. Before 1-2 months ago, I was charging it around one time a month (normal for my usage of ereaders generally, I had 3 Kobos before this one). I know that Li-Ion batteries will loose power no matters what so I don't mind charging it more often but the change was quite noticeable.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #14
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
It seems to me that both these problems started soon after updating to firmware 4.19.14123. Could this be the issue? What is your firmware version?
I'll check tonight but I know there was an update 1-2 weeks ago when I had to connect to the wifi for Calibre loading.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:18 AM   #15
sladflob
Connoisseur
sladflob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura One
Just to add my experience, I've also had the KA1 since the first day I could buy it locally, so around 3.5 years. Battery is comparable to what it was when I bought it. As someone else said, it was never brilliant (at least compared to my original Touch) but it's not significantly worse. I've been using KOReader pretty much exclusively for the last year and with an average of an hour of reading a day I probably get a couple of weeks between charges. I usually charge when my battery gets below 20% but I've also found that I can keep reading with the battery at 0% for quite a long time, so maybe that's something worth considering - whether or not your reader is telling you lies regarding the battery percentage. I haven't been able to find anything definitive about battery calibration with Kobos but maybe this is something worth investigating.
sladflob is offline   Reply With Quote