Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Halloween Listens

Who plans to listen to Halloween-type audiobooks this year to celebrate the holiday?

My listens:
  • War of the Worlds -- HG Wells --> 1938 radio broadcast by Orson Welles
  • Legend of Sleepy Hollow -- Washington Irving
  • Masque of the Red Death -- Edgar Allan Poe
  • Murders in the Rue Morgue -- Edgar Allan Poe
  • Pit and the Pendulum -- Edgar Allan Poe
  • Tell-Tale Heart -- Edgar Allan Poe
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Who plans to listen to Halloween-type audiobooks this year to celebrate the holiday?

My listens:
  • War of the Worlds -- HG Wells --> 1938 radio broadcast by Orson Welles
  • Legend of Sleepy Hollow -- Washington Irving
  • Masque of the Red Death -- Edgar Allan Poe
  • Murders in the Rue Morgue -- Edgar Allan Poe
  • Pit and the Pendulum -- Edgar Allan Poe
  • Tell-Tale Heart -- Edgar Allan Poe
Usually I listen to/read Bram Stoker's Dracula around this time of year. Not sure I will get to it this year, I have to make a trip to my parent's house for a few weeks. And, my youngest son and I usually watch Poltergeist the movie around Halloween. The original, not the remake. I haven't seen the remake so I have no idea if it is any good or not. Not sure we will get to that this year either. Busy busy busy!!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Hmm. I hadn't thought about any special Halloween-themed listening. Might be an excuse to get to some of the freebie classics I've accumulated over the years: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, various Poe collections. Carmilla and The Lodger might be possibilities too.

I've listened to Dracula, Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, and The Haunting of Hill House fairly recently, so I'm not ready to revisit those.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
I started listening to Halloween-themed audiobooks in October a couple of years ago. First year was Dracula, and the next Frankenstein. This year so far I've done:
  • The Best of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Victor Pemberton's Dark - a short drama about haunting, life after death, and possession from Fantom Films
  • The Invisible Man, by H.G. Wells
  • (currently listening to) The Hunger and Other Stories, by Charles Beaumont - a writer of many classic tales from "The Twilight Zone"
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson

That'll probably take me to the end of October. If not I have a few other titles I could add to my list.
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just finished The Lodger, by Marie Belloc Lowndes, which wasn't Halloween-scary but very suspenseful and enjoyable. What surprised me was how modern it seemed, even though it was published in 1913. The story was based on the Jack the Ripper murders; here, as women are being killed by someone who calls himself the Avenger, an eccentric lodger rents a room from a financially strapped couple. Most of the story is told from the point of view of the wife.

Hitchcock made a silent movie of this story early in his career. I may have to dig out my DVD and watch it again, as I think it was much changed; I remember only a couple of scenes from the film. There were later movies as well.

The narrator, Lorna Raver, was excellent.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert