Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A few questions about notes files on the Kindle Voyage

-Is "My Clippings" completely separate from the notes (note/highlight/bookmark) files associated with each book? I.e. can I edit the My Clippings file, or even completely remove notes from one book on the file, and the actual notes on the book will still be fine regardless?

-If I delete a (calibre AZW3 or MOBI, sometimes originally bought from Amazon and sometimes not) book from the Voyage, will the notes file still be there? I.e. if, later on, I add the book back to the Voyage, will the notes show then?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
-Is "My Clippings" completely separate from the notes (note/highlight/bookmark) files associated with each book? I.e. can I edit the My Clippings file, or even completely remove notes from one book on the file, and the actual notes on the book will still be fine regardless?

-If I delete a (calibre AZW3 or MOBI, sometimes originally bought from Amazon and sometimes not) book from the Voyage, will the notes file still be there? I.e. if, later on, I add the book back to the Voyage, will the notes show then?
Yes. My Clippings is basically a log file of the annotations you make on the device. It grows and grows and grows as you annotate. You can edit it, or even delete it, but it has no effect on the individual book annotations, which are independent. If you side load books, and annotate them, My Clippings is the ONLY place to find your annotations later if you delete the book, since these do not sync to the cloud. If you make a lot of annotations, it's a good idea to delete My Clippings once in awhile to recover storage and performance (back it up first if you care about what is in there). The larger it gets, the more it can affect performance, as it is re-indexed every time you add a new annotation. It at least used to be the case that adding annotations would get slower and slower as the file grew.

Personally I'd rather see an 'export annotations' feature similar to what Google Play Books does. My Clippings is a hack, but one which people have come to expect and rely on. For Amazon content, you can use a service like clippings.io to get more convenient access to your annotations.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks tomsem! That's answers the questions about My Clippings completely.

As for the other questions, it seems like you're saying that if a sideloaded book is deleted and then added back to the Voyage the notes would be gone?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Notes added to the book will be gone. Those in "My Clippings" will still be there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I had played around with this and when added back quickly after deletion, the book retained its notes. Before I trusted it for longer times I wanted to verify what would happen and I'm glad I did; thanks for the clarification!
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I had played around with this and when added back quickly after deletion, the book retained its notes. Before I trusted it for longer times I wanted to verify what would happen and I'm glad I did; thanks for the clarification!
How did you delete the book?

If you just deleted the book file, but left the auxiliary file in which the notes are stored (which has a ".mbp" extension), the notes would reappear when you reloaded the book. If you add and remove books using Calibre (as I do), Calibre deletes both the book and all its auxiliary files, so notes would disappear.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-15-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I deleted it through Calibre! It was only once and I wasn't expecting it to, so I was surprised. The deletion and re-download were all within a few minutes though so maybe that had something to do with it?

You are giving me hope though that there is a way to later add back books with notes, by manually saving the notes files onto my computer. However, I can't find the .mbp files on the Voyage - where are they exactly?

The only thing close to .mbp files that I see are MyClippings .mbp1 and .mbs files in the documents folder, and in the hidden .Trashes folder there are similar .mbp1 and .mbs files for one book. The one book was, I think, the only book with notes when I updated the Voyage.

In the documents folder, the .sdr folders have .azw3f, .azw3r, .apnx and sometimes .asc files.

In the hidden system folder I see an userannotlogsDir folder but it's empty.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Ah, perhaps their names are different for AZW3 files. I may have given you incorrect information there. Perhaps someone else knows where notes are stored for AZW3 files?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

No problem, Harry. I should have mentioned that all my books are currently AZW3. I originally asked about MOBI as well because I might use that format at some point. The book .mpb1 file in the .Trashes may be from me trying that book out on .mobi before I deleted that version.

It seems .asc is for x-ray and the end of the book while .apnx is for page numbers, but I couldn't find any online info as to what exactly .azw3r or .azw3f are for.

After some experimenting I've found that .azw3r is the notes file. If I add it back to a reloaded book then the notes appear again, whereas that doesn't happen for .azw3f. Adding both files or all the .sdr files back in works too.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Be careful when editing My Clippings in place. Once, I edited mine, and the Kindle became very confused. I could no longer read the file from the home menu. Of course, this was on a K1, but I doubt they've tweaked the code having to do with that file very much.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I'll keep that in mind, susan.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:01 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yup -- azw3(r|f) are the AZW3 equivalent of the old mbp1/mbs files.

One handles annotations, the other has bookmarks, current location, etc. IIRC -- but I can never stir myself to remember which is which.

I know you add the ASIN to all your books -- this should mean your annotations are synced through Amazon (maybe depending on whether you have that ASIN in your purchases) which means after syncing your annotations should be restored.

The Kindle does delete annotations from purchased books when you "Remove From Device", since they are synced anyway -- only sideloaded books leave their notes behind, in order that you can re-add the book and pick up from where you left off.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:56 PM   #13
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I know you add the ASIN to all your books -- this should mean your annotations are synced through Amazon (maybe depending on whether you have that ASIN in your purchases) which means after syncing your annotations should be restored.
Thanks for the help again! Yes, I've found it does depend on whether the ASIN is in purchases. If it's bought through Amazon this works, otherwise no.

Quote:
The Kindle does delete annotations from purchased books when you "Remove From Device", since they are synced anyway -- only sideloaded books leave their notes behind, in order that you can re-add the book and pick up from where you left off.
If I remove a book through Calibre, it seems like you're saying the Voyage will keep the notes for later. That would be great if it did. I wanted to test this out before I replied but I haven't had a chance yet.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Ah, no as HarryT pointed out in post #6, calibre will actually try to be helpful and "clean up" for you.
It's part of the Kindle device driver.

But if the notes are synced, then the Kindle will restore them from Amazon's servers.

Keep is not strictly the same as restore, and I like to separate the two ideas.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-21-2015 at 12:17 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:57 AM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

No problem! My plan now is to manually save all the files on my computer before deleting a book from the Voyage.

I've already found though that it has to be the *exact* same copy of the book or the notes might not load back properly. I edited the tiniest thing in one book - deleting the single unnecessary space from one word in the table of contents - and the notes loaded back two lines off.

It'd be great if I could keep files of every book on Kindle for Mac with notes but that appears to be impossible (without manually adding each note one by one) if it's not mobi or purchased through Amazon.