Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
PotterMore AudioBooks

I was wondering if anyone has purchased these books yet?

Can they be purchased somewhere else?

zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post

They're too expensive. If I were to listen to them, I'd check them out from the library.

I do believe that Pottermore is the only place you can buy them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They're too expensive. If I were to listen to them, I'd check them out from the library.

I thought the same thing the pricing was ridiculous! Well I guess I will just stick to the Ebooks!

zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I thought the same thing the pricing was ridiculous! Well I guess I will just stick to the Ebooks!

Check your library for the audiobooks. My libraries have them, though I'd be on a waiting list.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

I've got them all, though I bought them years ago. If I recall correctly, I got them from the iTunes store. IMPO, they are worth every penny, but then again, I have listened to them a number of times, so I definitely get my money's worth. If PotterMore ever releases the British version in the US, I might spring for them just to see who is better.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Have you ever bought an audio book? Yes, they are a bit pricey, though they are somewhat long. The last book weighs in at 22 hours.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:12 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Have you ever bought an audio book?
Sure; and the most I've ever paid for one is $2.99 via Audible promo credits. Since I have access to free audiobooks from libraries, promos, and LibriVox, I see no need to pay more than $3 for one.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Have you ever bought an audio book? Yes, they are a bit pricey, though they are somewhat long. The last book weighs in at 22 hours.
I'm currently listening to an audiobook of over 66 hours, and it cost only one Audible credit, i.e., no more than $14.95. I think the Pottermore prices for audiobooks are prohibitive, but presumably it's the sweet spot for them to maximize revenues.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm currently listening to an audiobook of over 66 hours, and it cost only one Audible credit, i.e., no more than $14.95. I think the Pottermore prices for audiobooks are prohibitive, but presumably it's the sweet spot for them to maximize revenues.
The law of supply and demand. A lot more people want to hear Jim Dale or Stephen Fry read the Harry Potter books than most other audio books. It seems a bit high, but it also apparently does not have any sort of DRM. The ebooks were the same way. One does hope that the voice talents get a royalty.

I'm not arguing that you ought to buy it, but I can see why it's priced the way it is.

$35 seems to be a fairly standard list price for an audiobook that is 22 hours long. Both Sword of the South and Cauldron of Ghosts, two David Weber books about the same length are priced there.

Armada, the new book by Ernest Cline (of Ready Player One fame) has a list price $33.60, and it's only 12 hours long.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
$35 seems to be a fairly standard list price for an audiobook that is 22 hours long. Both Sword of the South and Cauldron of Ghosts, two David Weber books about the same length are priced there.
Back in the day I can remember when even abridged audiobooks were in the $20-30 range on cassette and unabridged into the $40-$60 range, but with digital came companies like Audible and Downpour which make the effective cost for most audiobooks around $12-$15 (which you can get those Weber books for), for a while there were books that cost more than one credit, but I can't think of any anymore. List prices haven't adjusted, but publishers have gone along with the monthly credit system and accepted these lower prices for their titles. Of course one can still pay list price, but many of the audiobook users have adjusted their thinking to $15ish being the top end price for audiobooks. Rowling never bought into the credit scheme. Digital for the Potter books was first iTunes only (even though supplied by Audible) and then went to Pottermore when that opened up. They've never been available cheap.

Being a big audiobook person even before Audible I have the Potter books on CD and paid well for the privileged.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:31 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The law of supply and demand.
Well, no. It's digital; there's an infinite supply. The term is elasticity of demand,
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I've got them all, though I bought them years ago. If I recall correctly, I got them from the iTunes store. IMPO, they are worth every penny, but then again, I have listened to them a number of times, so I definitely get my money's worth. If PotterMore ever releases the British version in the US, I might spring for them just to see who is better.
I've heard them both from Stephen Fry and from Jim Dale. They're both good, but I prefer the Stephen Fry version.

And yes, they're expensive, but in my opinion worth every cent... (I pay in Euro's so no pennies! )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:05 AM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've heard them both from Stephen Fry and from Jim Dale. They're both good, but I prefer the Stephen Fry version.

And yes, they're expensive, but in my opinion worth every cent... (I pay in Euro's so no pennies! )
I really would love to hear one of the Fry books, just to be able to compare.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, no. It's digital; there's an infinite supply. The term is elasticity of demand,
Well, there is only one place to buy Harry Potter books and there are only seven of them, so there isn't exactly an infinite supply. I suppose that some could start pirating the Harry Potter books, but so far people seem to be honoring the lack of DRM and not putting them on the pirate sites, just like they did with the Baen ebooks.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:18 AM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Back in the day I can remember when even abridged audiobooks were in the $20-30 range on cassette and unabridged into the $40-$60 range, but with digital came companies like Audible and Downpour which make the effective cost for most audiobooks around $12-$15 (which you can get those Weber books for), for a while there were books that cost more than one credit, but I can't think of any anymore. List prices haven't adjusted, but publishers have gone along with the monthly credit system and accepted these lower prices for their titles. Of course one can still pay list price, but many of the audiobook users have adjusted their thinking to $15ish being the top end price for audiobooks. Rowling never bought into the credit scheme. Digital for the Potter books was first iTunes only (even though supplied by Audible) and then went to Pottermore when that opened up. They've never been available cheap.

Being a big audiobook person even before Audible I have the Potter books on CD and paid well for the privileged.
Basically, I think they are rewarding repeat buyers, plus the membership cost. I have a standard membership, which means no credits, but a reduced member price. I have a different membership for my niece and nephew, 1 credit each per month.

Yes, I originally bought the Harry Potter audio books on cds, then bought them on iTunes when they finally came out that way. Rowling has gotten a pretty big chuck of money from me.