Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think some VNC based solution would be better for a second display on Linux. That's something I wanted to tackle with for a while now, and in a few days I'll have some spare time to actually try to do so :-)

As for the KDXG, I'm not sure if one could use USB networking for that. Another problem would be the browser, which is worse on KDXG (as long as you're not running the Kindle 3 software stack). I also own a KDXG, so I'll probably compile a native app (vnc viewer). Plus, there already are capable vnc viewers for framebuffers, I'll just have to make some small patches to properly update the e-Ink display. Then you would connect it to the PC via USB networking and start the viewer via launchpad. Expect some news at the beginning of next week, I think. Of course, that would be a different thread, as it's a different application then.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
How do I deactivate the vitual monitor? I can't seem to figure out how. It courses some problem for me having it passively activated.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 09-14-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
Hello.

Can I use it under Linux? And as a second monitor?

I have a Kindle DXG, so no wifi is possible unfortunately. Any solution?

Regards
I know it works on Linux. As for setting it up as a second monitor, I believe it's possible, but don't know how to do it.

With the DXG, your only option is to connect it over USB and setup the USBNetwork hack.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 AM   #19
labicia
labicia began at the beginning.

Device: DXG (+linux)
Hi!!

I also own a Kindle DXG and I would really love to use it as a screen for my PC, but possibly keeping the hacks to the minimum.
(I work all the day on the PC and I would like to use the Kindle for all the reading tasks or quick searches that I do on the PC)

Should I try to put the 3.x firmware, to use the new browser via usbnetwork?
(but living in Italy I do not know if my browser will allow me to connect to all addresses, even local ones)

Or you suggest to keep 2.5.8 firmware and just put usbnetwork?
(in the old thread people were speaking about passing the images to kindle folder and refresh.. but I have no experience at all to modify kranu code to do this, I am new to kindle and have very little linux experience)

Sorry for posting in this thread, tell me if there is a dedicated one for DXG!

You are doing an amazing work,
a million thanks,
Marco
labicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by labicia View Post
Hi!!

I also own a Kindle DXG and I would really love to use it as a screen for my PC, but possibly keeping the hacks to the minimum.
(I work all the day on the PC and I would like to use the Kindle for all the reading tasks or quick searches that I do on the PC)

Should I try to put the 3.x firmware, to use the new browser via usbnetwork?
(but living in Italy I do not know if my browser will allow me to connect to all addresses, even local ones)

Or you suggest to keep 2.5.8 firmware and just put usbnetwork?
(in the old thread people were speaking about passing the images to kindle folder and refresh.. but I have no experience at all to modify kranu code to do this, I am new to kindle and have very little linux experience)

Sorry for posting in this thread, tell me if there is a dedicated one for DXG!

You are doing an amazing work,
a million thanks,
Marco
I actually have no experience with a Kindle DX, so I can't really advise you on this. All I know is that it would have to be connected over USB. Hopefully someone else can answer
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #21
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
Just installed Python 3.2 and wxPython 2.8. Still can't run webserver_v2.py
line 72
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Windows 7
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #22
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets00 View Post
line 72
Windows 7
use python 2.7
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #23
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
line 72
Windows 7
Yes, thomass is correct. Python 3 is not backwards compatible with Python 2.x.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
does it work over usbnetwork? I have a message in a kindle browser: the website you requested is not responding.
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:11 AM   #25
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
does it work over usbnetwork? I have a message in a kindle browser: the website you requested is not responding.
Yes it worked over USBNetwork for me. Make sure you're using the IP Address that you configured in the usb network config if you're doing so.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 AM   #26
blackmost
blackmost began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
Kranu,

I love your effort. It's a great tool to save my eyes burn by the LCD. But I encountered a problem with my DXG.

DXG has free 3G but no wifi. And, you have to turn the wireless on when you start the web browser. In this case, the DXG has two ip addrss, one is 192.168.2.2, and another is the ip gained by the 3G network. In the same way, my pc also got two ips, one is 192.168.2.1, and another is the lan ip.

When your webserver start, it automatically set up on the lan ip address. The result is that the DXG cannot get connection to it. I guess it is because the DXG has not route information from 192.168.0.0 to the LAN ip.

I have tried to stop the lan connnection on my PC, then the python webserver just cannot start up.

I think there are two way to resolve the problems. One is that you set up the webserver on 192.168.2.1 instead of the LAN ip; another is that I modify the routing table of my kindle with usbNetwork. But as a Window user I has no idea how to modify the kindle route table.

Can you help me resolve the problem?
blackmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #27
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmost View Post
Kranu,

I love your effort. It's a great tool to save my eyes burn by the LCD. But I encountered a problem with my DXG.

DXG has free 3G but no wifi. And, you have to turn the wireless on when you start the web browser. In this case, the DXG has two ip addrss, one is 192.168.2.2, and another is the ip gained by the 3G network. In the same way, my pc also got two ips, one is 192.168.2.1, and another is the lan ip.

When your webserver start, it automatically set up on the lan ip address. The result is that the DXG cannot get connection to it. I guess it is because the DXG has not route information from 192.168.0.0 to the LAN ip.

I have tried to stop the lan connnection on my PC, then the python webserver just cannot start up.

I think there are two way to resolve the problems. One is that you set up the webserver on 192.168.2.1 instead of the LAN ip; another is that I modify the routing table of my kindle with usbNetwork. But as a Window user I has no idea how to modify the kindle route table.

Can you help me resolve the problem?
Hi,

The webserver is set up to listen to requests over ALL network connections. The IP Address displayed when you run the program is just to make it easier for people connecting through a router. Since you're using usbNetwork, just use the IP Address that you setup in the config (192.168.2.1)
Old 10-30-2011, 03:57 AM   #28
blackmost
blackmost began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
After several minutes, the kindle display: "there was an error encountered when processing your request".

I guess that once you turn on the wireless on, the 3G network will mess up the usbNetwork channel. Maybe I should try the VNC viewer.

Thank anyway.
blackmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #29
mm5
mm5 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd
webserver working on iRiver Story HD

Hi. Just wanted to thank you and let you know I got this to work on the first try on my iRiver Story HD. It made me and my eyes very happy! I hate reading anything on my lcd and have been searching for a way to get text on my screen to my ereader. Not through the usb but on the fly while surfing. This worked beautifully. I just changed it to its native resolution of 768X1024.

To get to the actual hidden browser and url was kinda convoluted tho. For the curious and owners of this device, first you need to stash an html with the link to the webserver, 192.168.1.117:8000, somewhere). Then on the story hd, go to: options > google bookstore > scroll down to terms > highlight and press enter on first link, then highlight the google icon and click. Now, you're on the google homepage. There is no address bar so I had to type in "where does this link go," go to the first link and then type in the url.

Thanks again. Is there a way to pass just html rather than a jpg to the device, you think?

Last edited by mm5; 12-18-2011 at 11:48 PM.
mm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #30
dorazine
dorazine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Syntax Error

I get a syntax error: InvalidSyntax when I try to run the script.

I installed both prerequsits, is there anything else I need to do??

Thank you,
David orazine
dorazine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display, emonitor, kindle, screen